JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, kratos said:

Not only that, there's no time to find an up and comer in hope they make a huge impact from nowhere.

TT knows that club want to challenge for top honours and we need goals in tight games which is critical.

Rom could flop for all we know but given his age, experience in England and pedigree he represents the best and obtainable chance of fixing this situation.

 

Exactly.  We are the second year of a three-year peak in our yo-yo. That is why Mendy and Silva were bought as short-term purchases last September to add to the pool of top class talent.

This is the time to bring in Costa and to push out Salah and de bruyne on loan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So. How many goals should Lukaku score for us to consider him a good signing? Abraham managed 30 in all comps over two seasons. Considering we paid an awful lot for Lukaku, is 50 over two seasons a reasonable benchmark? 

Surely we’re not going to have a situation where people fall over each other trying to excuse him scoring any less than that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

So. How many goals should Lukaku score for us to consider him a good signing? Abraham managed 30 in all comps over two seasons. Considering we paid an awful lot for Lukaku, is 50 over two seasons a reasonable benchmark? 

Surely we’re not going to have a situation where people fall over each other trying to excuse him scoring any less than that? 

I expect him to equal what he's done for Inter, which is I think 25-30 goals a season. I suppose it's possible things will happen that offer some mitigation for not managing that (injury, the whole team's form collapsing) but it's clear he's here on the expectation he scores lots of goals and anything less than that will be essentially a failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
43 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

So. How many goals should Lukaku score for us to consider him a good signing? Abraham managed 30 in all comps over two seasons. Considering we paid an awful lot for Lukaku, is 50 over two seasons a reasonable benchmark? 

Surely we’re not going to have a situation where people fall over each other trying to excuse him scoring any less than that? 

I'm not really one for saying, X number of goals is a success, and anything less is failure.

In 2004, Drogba joined us, ousted Crespo, JFH etc and scored 10 league goals. We won the league. 

I think his presence will help our overall game. 

Also, 10 winning goals are worth any number of gloss goals (the third in a 3-0 win for example)

Lastly, will he take penalties? That massages your total by 5-10 a season 

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
42 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I expect him to equal what he's done for Inter, which is I think 25-30 goals a season. I suppose it's possible things will happen that offer some mitigation for not managing that (injury, the whole team's form collapsing) but it's clear he's here on the expectation he scores lots of goals and anything less than that will be essentially a failure.

23 and 24 league goals each season, and both seasons included 6 penalties, so 17 and 18 from open play.

However, 2nd season, 24 goals and 11 assists. That is top striking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

23 and 24 league goals each season, and both seasons included 6 penalties, so 17 and 18 from open play.

However, 2nd season, 24 goals and 11 assists. That is top striking. 

Absolutely.

And top coaching .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'm not really one for saying, X number of goals is a success, and anything less is failure.

In 2004, Drogba joined us, ousted Crespo, JFH etc and scored 10 league goals. We won the league. 

I think his presence will help our overall game. 

Also, 10 winning goals are worth any number of gloss goals (the third in a 3-0 win for example)

In 2004, Crespo had gone back to Italy on compassionate leave, and JFH had left.  Drogba failed to oust Gudjohnsen.
Gudjohnsen had 30 PL starts (12 goals) and Drogba had 18 starts (10 goals).  So Drogba actually had very good figures.
It was Drogba's 2nd season at a top club, it is Lukaku's 5th.  

Still I agree he should be a big positive difference, I just don't think the comparison helps.

 

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Lastly, will he take penalties? That massages your total by 5-10 a season 

Can't afford to upset the main man   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
58 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

In 2004, Crespo had gone back to Italy on compassionate leave, and JFH had left.  Drogba failed to oust Gudjohnsen.
Gudjohnsen had 30 PL starts (12 goals) and Drogba had 18 starts (10 goals).  So Drogba actually had very good figures.
It was Drogba's 2nd season at a top club, it is Lukaku's 5th.  

Still I agree he should be a big positive difference, I just don't think the comparison helps.

 

Can't afford to upset the main man   :)

It was just an example where numbers don't tell the whole story. Drogba only got 10, but who cares? We won the league.

(and JFH was released early to make way for our shiny new striker)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

23 and 24 league goals each season, and both seasons included 6 penalties, so 17 and 18 from open play.

However, 2nd season, 24 goals and 11 assists. That is top striking. 

Hadn't considered penalties.

I think 20 is a fair number and he's "failed" by his individual standards if he doesn't get that number, but as you say it really doesn't matter if he scores fewer and we win the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

for whom exactly?

There is a clear dearth of available strikers of the required quality out there 

We've been down this road so many times. Pay well over the odds for the right player at the wrong time.. How many more times do we need to keep making the same mistake?

Not sure about your "lets just spend shed loads of money whatever" approach. 

Quote

 

The Toffees splashed out £28m to get him amid claims Mourinho wanted him gone from Stamford Bridge as he didn’t fancy him.

But Lukaku insists that wasn’t the case and has praised the Special One.

He told the Express: "Choices have been made by me. By me. Not by them.

"Everyone says it is Mourinho's fault, but it is not his fault because I made the decision. I went to his office to ask if I could go.

 

All this "unfinished business" BS and fans just lap it up... nowt as queer as folk..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now