JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

Recommended Posts

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He has scored 20 goals or more in the premier league in one season - 2016/17. A star would have managed that more often. Romelu has done it in 1/7. And it's not like he's played for **** teams either - Everton, ManU and Chelsea. 

He has however scored 15 goals or more in 5/7. That for me is the sign of a striker who is good but not quite a star. He has never managed to make that leap imo and to be perfectly honest I do not think he ever will.

Drogba not much of a star, then?

Numbers only tell part of a story..........how many would Drogba have got for us, had he taken regular penalties? Add another 30?

17 goals for WBA, who finished 17th.

10, 18 and 25 at Everton, who finished 11th, 11th and 7th. 68 goals in 141 overall (including only 6 penalties)

28 goals in 66 for United, at one goal every 178 minutes. Zero penalties 

I wonder, in the history of the PL, how many times 20 goals has been achieved without taking penalties?  Take it one further, and for 4 out of your 6 seasons, playing for a team that hasn't finished in the top 6?

I don't know the answer, but I bet it is not very often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He has scored 20 goals or more in the premier league in one season - 2016/17. A star would have managed that more often. Romelu has done it in 1/7. And it's not like he's played for **** teams either - Everton, ManU and Chelsea. 

 

Other than Shearer, who are you thinking off?  20 goals in a season for a none title contender is very rare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   

Interesting points for Sleeping Dave and paulw.....

Lukaku reminds me of a not quite top of the line vehicle that gets one to work and back in some comfort but never can get you away first at the lights against that flashy neighbour and his Porsche acceleration.

DD took a season or two to get into his stride and his contribution was far beyond a goal tally...both comings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chara said:

DD took a season or two to get into his stride and his contribution was far beyond a goal tally...both comings!

Not sure that I agree with this, chara. DD's strike rate (goals to games) was very close over his first 3 seasons. The big difference was the number of games he played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
18 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Not sure that I agree with this, chara. DD's strike rate (goals to games) was very close over his first 3 seasons. The big difference was the number of games he played.

I'm really going on "impression" memory...... like many, who may have forgotten, I remember calling DD  a donkey at the tv.......I am not proud of showing my frustration at that time but he did raise his game (hence my stride comment) to a consistent high level and drop the apparent diving habit to reach the level we all remember and admire.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chara said:

I'm really going on "impression" memory...... like many, who may have forgotten, I remember calling DD  a donkey at the tv.......I am not proud of showing my frustration at that time but he did raise his game (hence my stride comment) to a consistent high level and drop the apparent diving habit to reach the level we all remember and admire.

 

His first 2 seasons were hampered by injury, the fact that he shared striker duties, and his absence at AFCON. If you called DD a 'donkey', then I'm surprised that you got it that wrong (although you certainly weren't the only one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
1 minute ago, Michael Tucker said:

His first 2 seasons were hampered by injury, the fact that he shared striker duties, and his absence at AFCON. If you called DD a 'donkey', then I'm surprised that you got it that wrong (although you certainly weren't the only one).

Certainly wasn't the only one but with 20/20 hindsight vision I think it was sensing more to the player than I thought I was seeing and none of us are very forgiving in the heat of a game!

Didn't call him that all the time!.....flashbacks...His FINAL..header and penalty.....a goal against Liverpool..think it was the game Crouch was red carded,,,,the voice of us all after the disgraceful refereeing incident....and unfortunately the Moscow "incident"....but all showing the commitment to Chelsea..which is why we still talk about him.

A question as I type watching the snow falling!.....seen many players develop over their time but can you..or anyone ...come up with a player who grew so much at Chelsea?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, chara said:

A question as I type watching the snow falling!.....seen many players develop over their time but can you..or anyone ...come up with a player who grew so much at Chelsea?

 

I think you have been reading this site too much on Drogba.  He scored at the same rate in his first three PL years while competing to start with Guddy and Crespo.  06/07 was boosted with 13 goals in 3 cups (won2, CL semis).   Probably Drogba's best form ever was at Marseilles - where he was a legend after one season.
He had 4 stand out seasons with us, 04/05, 05/06 06/07 & 09/10 (when everyone shared 103 PL goals) and  one other in 03/04 with Marseilles.

Of course if you are thinking of his reputation with Chelsea fans, that is quite a different story.  And he certainly grew as a Chelsea leader.

I suspect Drogba's reputation grew every game that Sheva and Torres fired blanks.
(I'm a huge Drogba fan - starting when he wore 15).

Edited by Droy was my hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you have been reading this site too much on Drogba.  He scored at the same rate in his first three PL years while competing to start with Guddy and Crespo.  06/07 was boosted with 13 goals in 3 cups (won2, CL semis).   Probably Drogba's best form ever was at Marseilles - where he was a legend after one season.
He had 4 stand out seasons with us, 04/05, 05/06 06/07 & 09/10 (when everyone shared 103 PL goals) and  one other in 03/04 with Marseilles.

Of course if you are thinking of his reputation with Chelsea fans, that is quite a different story.  And he certainly grew as a Chelsea leader.

I suspect Drogba's reputation grew every game that Sheva and Torres fired blanks.
(I'm a huge Drogba fan - starting when he wore 15).

Yep....reputation and as a leader but his "style" developed and he grew into a senior role.... I'm sure you know I rarely if ever get over influenced by a chorus on any subject...but I do pay attention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a difference of Drogba and Lukaku is that Drogba buries that chance he had in 2nd leg vs Spurs (the assist from Rüdiger). The way Lukaku took it down, bullied the defender etc. all very Drogba-esque just needed that bloody mindedness to finish it. 

I think his time his coming. Drogba made his initial mark at a League Cup Final. Lukaku has that opportunity too. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now