JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Now, I've always hated the snakey git but it looks like Roberto Martinez is favourite to land the vacant Everton job .

This may be our salvation , surely one Lukaku is worth a Richarlison and a Calvert-Lewin or a Ben Godfrey ? 

If Martinez is favourite, then the bookies must be smoking crack cocaine. Leave the Belgium NT job with a World Cup on the horizon in order to take over at Everton for an owner who sacked you some 6 years earlier because the fans hated the boring style of football being played?

Hmmm... let me see. Stranger things have happened at sea. 😉

6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

If Martinez is favourite, then the bookies must be smoking crack cocaine. Leave the Belgium NT job with a World Cup on the horizon in order to take over at Everton for an owner who sacked you some 6 years earlier because the fans hated the boring style of football being played?

Apparently , they're going to let him do both jobs ! Win , win !

Ham   
36 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Has there ever been a less successful NT Coach?  Achieving nothing with THAT Belgium squad?

33 minutes ago, Ham said:

Has there ever been a less successful NT Coach?  Achieving nothing with THAT Belgium squad?

True!

bert19   
16 hours ago, Ham said:

Now definitely a good time to get out though - that squad are all getting old at the same time and it doesn't look like they are producing replacements of the same quality.  He might just look at the exit door and go "yeh, now is a good moment" 

Plus no doubt Everton pay really well.  They must do given their last three coaches have been Marco Silva (who they chased hard), Carlo and the Interim 

Lukaku should never have been signed. I say GO. But no one will sign him so a pointless exercise. The only option is to make it work somehow. Just like we did with Torres. 

I think we should play with Havertz as our striker. He can play. Lukaku our S2. It’s an expensive back-up but he isn’t the world class striker we all want and never was. I don’t think he has the potential to turn this around either. 

15 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Lukaku should never have been signed. I say GO. But no one will sign him so a pointless exercise. The only option is to make it work somehow. Just like we did with Torres. 

I think we should play with Havertz as our striker. He can play. Lukaku our S2. It’s an expensive back-up but he isn’t the world class striker we all want and never was. I don’t think he has the potential to turn this around either. 

I don't want him here but I wonder if we played a front three with him wide right it would suit him better ?

chara   

Hard to see from the outside but is there any sign of Lukaku being a disruptive presence in the dressing room?..... genuine question...no agenda.

Taking aside the transfer fee is he really worth a place at Chelsea?...... Tammy was eased out but had he been a costly import would he have been cast aside?

Seems at some level Lukaku is being given leeway because of the massive fee and the "well we paid out a lot so guess he has to feature" approach.

The theory reason for his arrival was good but the reality is far more mundane.....wrong skill set and no flexibility..... goodness knows Chelsea need a better goal return but Lukaku doesn't seem to be the answer at SB.... he will score goals and is not a bad player...just not the top drawer striker Chelsea..or any club...need.

Not comparing players but scoring against Chesterfield or the Final goal against Citeh..... one goal priceless... the others ?

52 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I don't want him here but I wonder if we played a front three with him wide right it would suit him better ?

Ha ha can you imagine Lukaku out on the wing trying to dribble past his defender? No, me neither. It was painful to see Torres try that but at least he worked hard for the team. Lukaku doesn't even do that. 

Come to think about it, apart from pointing a lot and being Belgian every time a journalist is close by, what does he actually do? 

Go.

He currently offers us less than Tammy did and cost us almost 1,000,000 times as much.

Before we signed him, I said I didn't want him, I said he wasn't the answer, but I gave him a chance once he signed, but he is proving to be exactly what I feared he would be. He didn't improve when he went to Inter, he just went to a much easier league.

No idea where we go with him now, because nobody will want to take him on.

My biggest concern now is that he starts causing issues in the changing room.