JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

Compare this guy with Werner. Werner said in a recent interview:

‘sometimes I don’t know why they are supporting me so much, because I’m a striker and I want to score but miss chances’

‘It makes it so fun to play in front of the Chelsea fans & when they give the support they give me, it makes me stronger when I miss chances or have hard times. I try to give my best every game, 100% to make sure the team are happy.’

Give me Timo over Lukaku any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Lukaku should never have been signed. I say GO. But no one will sign him so a pointless exercise. The only option is to make it work somehow. Just like we did with Torres. 

I think we should play with Havertz as our striker. He can play. Lukaku our S2. It’s an expensive back-up but he isn’t the world class striker we all want and never was. I don’t think he has the potential to turn this around either. 

Yes, like it or not, we are almost certainly going to be lumbered with him for 3 or 4 years.😭

He will score a decent amount of goals as he always does ( mid table team tonight is a banker game for him to score) but we can forget all about winning titles with him as our number one.

Some fans suggest just leaving him out of the big games. Sounds ok, but think about how that would go down with the rest of the lads. Our top earner  being hidden away against the big boys because he can't hack it against them. It would almost certainly lead to a rift between Lukaku and the rest of the players. 

bert19   
Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

Compare this guy with Werner. Werner said in a recent interview:

‘sometimes I don’t know why they are supporting me so much, because I’m a striker and I want to score but miss chances’

‘It makes it so fun to play in front of the Chelsea fans & when they give the support they give me, it makes me stronger when I miss chances or have hard times. I try to give my best every game, 100% to make sure the team are happy.’

Give me Timo over Lukaku any day of the week.

The big difference I see with Werner compared to players like Morata/Torres/Higuain/Lukaku is that I never doubt Werner is trying.  He doesn't hide, he works and tries to make an impact.  Doesn't treat his problems like they're anyone else's fault.  So he's easy to get behind in that sense. He's also played well and chipped in with goals whenever I've seen him this season. 

I also think that regardless of some poor misses (that he would expect to have scored and should have done), he's been very unlucky at key times - like the poor VAR call at Anfield and the one against Southampton the other week.  In-form players often have that luck go their way.  Werner I can actually see turning things around, maybe not to be the exact player we thought we were buying, but to still be a very effective and good player for Chelsea.  And I hope his luck does turn, because he'd have earned it. 

Lukaku I genuinely don't think has those qualities about him.  I said to friends when the interview happened that we would find out very quickly if he's a Drogba or a Morata once he was back in the team.  I think we've found out already.  

And in addition to his own shortcomings, it was interesting that not only do the senior players not trust him and decreed he should be left out against Liverpool, but also that Tuchel felt safe making that public knowledge.  Makes me think the whole dressing room might have been sending him a very clear message. 

• Like 1

bert19   
5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Yes, like it or not, we are almost certainly going to be lumbered with him for 3 or 4 years.😭

He will score a decent amount of goals as he always does ( mid table team tonight is a banker game for him to score) but we can forget all about winning titles with him as our number one.

Some fans suggest just leaving him out of the big games. Sounds ok, but think about how that would go down with the rest of the lads. Our top earner  being hidden away against the big boys because he can't hack it against them. It would almost certainly lead to a rift between Lukaku and the rest of the players. 

He may have caused that rift himself with his brainless comments to Sky Italia a few weeks ago to be fair.  

1 minute ago, bert19 said:

The big difference I see with Werner compared to players like Morata/Torres/Higuain/Lukaku is that I never doubt Werner is trying.  He doesn't hide, he works and tries to make an impact.  Doesn't treat his problems like they're anyone else's fault.  So he's easy to get behind in that sense. He's also played well and chipped in with goals whenever I've seen him this season. 

I also think that regardless of some poor misses (that he would expect to have scored and should have done), he's been very unlucky at key times - like the poor VAR call at Anfield and the one against Southampton the other week.  In-form players often have that luck go their way.  Werner I can actually see turning things around, maybe not to be the exact player we thought we were buying, but to still be a very effective and good player for Chelsea.  And I hope his luck does turn, because he'd have earned it. 

Lukaku I genuinely don't think has those qualities about him.  I said to friends when the interview happened that we would find out very quickly if he's a Drogba or a Morata once he was back in the team.  I think we've found out already.  

And in addition to his own shortcomings, it was interesting that not only do the senior players not trust him and decreed he should be left out against Liverpool, but also that Tuchel felt safe making that public knowledge.  Makes me think the whole dressing room might have been sending him a very clear message. 

Everything you’ve said is exactly how I feel about each player, I think you’re spot on.

I have a lot of time for Werner and whilst he may not be the player we expected to sign, his effort and attitude is fantastic and I’d love nothing more for him to get more luck and to start racking up the goals. Really good professional and just a really nice guy.

10 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I genuinely worry that he actually won’t.

He’s joined a club that plays as a team and is very fluid in the way that the players all play together and he just is absolutely not that type of player. He’s 1 dimensional and he’s going to sulk, if he isn’t already because he isn’t seen as the main man.

Probably drives him mad that the fans and team mates all look to players like Mount, Kante, Jorginho, James, Silva, Rudiger and Azpi before him. 

48 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Everything you’ve said is exactly how I feel about each player, I think you’re spot on.

I have a lot of time for Werner and whilst he may not be the player we expected to sign, his effort and attitude is fantastic and I’d love nothing more for him to get more luck and to start racking up the goals. Really good professional and just a really nice guy.

Exactly this , if we sold Werner , I would genuinely be disappointed if we sold Lukaku I'd be ecstatic.

• Like 2

Ro61   

I wonder does anyone remember Islam Feruz?.A wonder kid who started off with Glasgow Celtic,and then ended up with us.  A delusional and ungrateful little prat that thought he was the bees knees, and now is trying to sell his own brand of hats.

Lukaku is already a wealthy young man without really trying that hard...such is the game we follow in today's world.

Same goals for games ratio as Higuain . Says it all.

On 21/01/2022 at 2:10 AM, Ro61 said:

Lukaku is already a wealthy young man without really trying that hard...such is the game we follow in today's world.

I don't rate him any higher than you do, but I have to disagree about him not having to try hard to get where he is.

Watch him closely  when recieving the most simple of balls and making  simple short passes. It looks like he has to give it max concentration to not fluff those moments.Apart from those split second shots or headers that score a goal, there's next to zero off the cuff,  natural football instincts in his game. Everything looks like hard work for him.

There would have been thousands of kids of Lukaku's age with way more natural football talent than him, but not the mentality to make it. He's a bit like a better version of Vinnie Jones in making it to the top with very little natural talent.