JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

No, I think this is a departure from your normal good sense. We are not talking about someone who is not brilliant at all aspects of the game; we are talking about someone who is so poor in every way (including the single way in which his apologists assert that he is competent) that he wouldn't get into Port Vale's first XI on merit. His incompetence is extraordinary even allowing for the fact that our playing style is not exactly tailored to his supposed strengths. 

As for "rude awakenings", many of us predicted how poor he would be and sadly we were right. 

I've never once claimed Lukaku to be brilliant or even at an elite level, but you also can't argue against the fact he can score goals as he's largely demonstrated across his career. He may never be a 30+ a season forward but he's certainly capable of 15-20 a season IF he's been used within the right environment.

You also cannot truly believe we've put him in the best possible position to succeed either. I mean, as someone that watched him at Inter Milan its been complete night and day between how Conte chose to maximise the qualities he does have, while Tuchel has instead opted to pigeon hole him into a role that he was never going to adequately execute. It's the equivalent of asking Pippo Inzaghi to press like Robbie Keane, or to play long ball football and wanting Aguero to play as a Target Man knocking headers down for those around him. Those are completely unrealistic things to ask of players with their profile, much like it has been with role we've asked him to fill here. 

I suppose time shall tell though. If he does leave and goes on to recapture form in a more suitable environment that actually looks to maximise his strengths as a player, then we'll once more look completely incompetent when it comes to integrating strikers unless they're more or less "complete" players that can do everything.

Ro61   
30 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

I've never once claimed Lukaku to be brilliant or even at an elite level, but you also can't argue against the fact he can score goals as he's largely demonstrated across his career. He may never be a 30+ a season forward but he's certainly capable of 15-20 a season IF he's been used within the right environment.

You also cannot truly believe we've put him in the best possible position to succeed either. I mean, as someone that watched him at Inter Milan its been complete night and day between how Conte chose to maximise the qualities he does have, while Tuchel has instead opted to pigeon hole him into a role that he was never going to adequately execute. It's the equivalent of asking Pippo Inzaghi to press like Robbie Keane, or to play long ball football and wanting Aguero to play as a Target Man knocking headers down for those around him. Those are completely unrealistic things to ask of players with their profile, much like it has been with role we've asked him to fill here. 

I suppose time shall tell though. If he does leave and goes on to recapture form in a more suitable environment that actually looks to maximise his strengths as a player, then we'll once more look completely incompetent when it comes to integrating strikers unless they're more or less "complete" players that can do 

lukaku is an average player that does well against average teams.That's why he was so good in Italy.

I realise our club is the kiss of death for many strikers,but this guy is just out if his depth in the premiership.To suggest we play to his strengths is like feeding diabetics chocolate..it just wont work,and will be bad for him and more importantly us.

Edited by Ro61

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Ro61 said:

lukaku is an average player that does well against average teams.That's why he was so good in Italy.

I realise our club is the kiss of death for many strikers,but this guy is just out if his depth in the premiership.To suggest we play to his strengths is like feeding diabetics chocolate..it just wont work,and will be bad for him and more importantly us.

What's the say for the Premier League then?

Considering he has 118 goals and sits 21st for all-time top scorers (was 20th but Salah recently passed him). Scoring a goal every 173 minutes, which is on par with other average players like Drogba, JFH, Tevez, Vardy, Torres and Andy Cole.

Like, I get it. He's not everyone's cup of tea for various reasons, but he's never had a Premier League season where he's scored less than double figures - a part from his first spell here as a kid where he played a total of 198 PL minutes. This will be by far the worst season of his career, an alarming trend that happens all too regularly here. 

Ro61   
6 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

It says Lukaku has been given a chance to prove his worth - he has failed miserable  and  Chelsea fc are left with the bill.

chara   
10 hours ago, Ro61 said:

It says Lukaku has been given a chance to prove his worth - he has failed miserable  and  Chelsea fc are left with the bill.

Have to agree....and for all the accepted truth that strikers come to SB to fade away I recall that Anelka came to SB as a reputed...as I remember anyway..... troubled/troublesome player but seemed to prove everyone wrong.

56 minutes ago, chara said:

Have to agree....and for all the accepted truth that strikers come to SB to fade away I recall that Anelka came to SB as a reputed...as I remember anyway..... troubled/troublesome player but seemed to prove everyone wrong.

apart from missing his penalty but every one still blames Terry

6 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

apart from refusing to be one of the first five penalty takers before missing his penalty but every one still blames Terry

More accurate.

Seriously, though, he did very well for us. I was never a fan of his before we signed him but he was a quality striker.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

apart from missing his penalty but every one still blames Terry

A Jorginho special , the keeper could have thrown his cap on it.  I've  hated him ever since. 

chara   
5 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

A Jorginho special , the keeper could have thrown his cap on it.  I've  hated him ever since. 

Anelka or JT ?....(smile. )

bONes   
18 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Considering he has 118 goals and sits 21st for all-time top scorers (was 20th but Salah recently passed him). Scoring a goal every 173 minutes, which is on par with other average players like Drogba, JFH, Tevez, Vardy, Torres and Andy Cole.

Like, I get it. He's not everyone's cup of tea for various reasons, but he's never had a Premier League season where he's scored less than double figures - a part from his first spell here as a kid where he played a total of 198 PL minutes. This will be by far the worst season of his career, an alarming trend that happens all too regularly here. 

Interesting