JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

Drogba. Costa. Henry. Suarez. Rooney. Aguero. Kane. Salah & some others. Players who's talent was there for all to see and players most fans of top clubs would be more than happy to have in their team. Never at anytime during his entire career in England have I ever looked at Lukaku and thought he is good enough for a team that aims to win the league. 

Golfer Colin Montgomery won the European Tour Order of Merit  titles 8 times in his career, yet he never won a single Major title. A great player at a certain level, but not when up against the big boys when it mattered most. Lukaku is the Monty of football.

Edited by boratsbrother

Soed90   

Sounds like he's really pushing to return to Italy. According to reports his lawyer held meetings with Inter yesterday and Lukaku have apparently accepted a wage-cut to return to Inter.

Problem however is that Inter can't afford to buy him. It would have to be a loan with a purchase option. Can't imagine Boehly or Tuchel wanting to keep a Lukaku who's desperate to leave but would we take a massive loss on him? We would certainly have too if we wanted to let him go at this point.

17 minutes ago, Soed90 said:

Sounds like he's really pushing to return to Italy. According to reports his lawyer held meetings with Inter yesterday and Lukaku have apparently accepted a wage-cut to return to Inter.

Problem however is that Inter can't afford to buy him. It would have to be a loan with a purchase option. Can't imagine Boehly or Tuchel wanting to keep a Lukaku who's desperate to leave but would we take a massive loss on him? We would certainly have too if we wanted to let him go at this point.

I'm not sure it would be that much of a loss. We certainly didn't give them best part of £100m upfront so in real terms I doubt we have actually paid Inter the whole fee.

Interesting why he has a lawyer talking to them, I think, and I'm purely guessing now, that they are trying to arrange a deal where no more money exchanges hands, either way.

Sciatika   

We depreciate the asset on the books. That does not mean we didn't pay the full sum. Am I missing something here?

Bison   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I'm not sure it would be that much of a loss. We certainly didn't give them best part of £100m upfront so in real terms I doubt we have actually paid Inter the whole fee.

Interesting why he has a lawyer talking to them, I think, and I'm purely guessing now, that they are trying to arrange a deal where no more money exchanges hands, either way.

Reports earlier this week suggested he sacked his agent because he feels he was badly advised in joining Chelsea in the first place.

I think Martin could be onto something , there is a good chance that we have a payment by instalment agreement with Inter , they've probably had the first part and if they want him back they just waive the rest of the payments , Chunky takes a pay cut and job done , the most divisive transfer in our modern history will finally be resolved.

Italian media claiming Lukaku has agreed to rejoin Inter on loan - taking an almost £4m pay cut - and that it's now just down to Chelsea and Inter to agree on loan fees, (compulsory) purchase fee, etc.

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Inter/31-05-2022/calciomercato-inter-lukaku-entro-meta-giugno-agente-parlera-col-chelsea-440778280229.shtml

I'm pleased to see Lukaku is putting his career and personal happiness above earning money which he doesn't need. I said all along that is what he would do, simply because most footballers in his position would do the same.

He'll still be earning millions a year. Be more happy off the pitch  and more successful on it making it a move which is best for all parties concerned.

Going to be hilarious when he rejoins a lower league and scores again and some will be back here saying we were nuts to let such a hard working goal machine  go...  

He is not, never has been and never will be a good footballer, but he's always been a good goal scorer at a certain level. So it's very likely he'll pick up from where he left off and start banging in the goals again when he's back at his level of football.  When he does start scoring, I doubt the remaining few Lukaku fanboys/girls will have the brass neck to come on Chelsea forums and start slagging off the club for making a mistake in moving him on.

Edited by boratsbrother