JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

Chrisb   

So according to Sky we’ve reached an agreement and he’s off on loan. Hope the takeaways in Milan are getting stocked up ready for his return.

8 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

So according to Sky we’ve reached an agreement and he’s off on loan. Hope the takeaways in Milan are getting stocked up ready for his return.

From The Athletic. The bit I've highlighted concerns me.

Chelsea have reached an agreement in principle with Inter Milan that will see striker Romelu Lukaku rejoin the Italian club on a season-long loan, The Athletic understands.

Inter will pay a fee of €8 million plus add-ons, while terms over the 29-year-old’s salary and performance bonuses have also been accepted.

Lukaku is expected to undergo a medical next week before completing his move back to the side he helped win the Serie A title with in the 2020-21 season.

Inter will not have an option or obligation to buy Lukaku after his loan spell.

Paperwork for the transfer is in the process of being finalised, with the relationship between Chelsea’s new co-owner Todd Boehly and Michael Yormark — president of Roc Nation, who represent Lukaku — proving key to the deal getting done

Lukaku is contracted at Stamford Bridge until 2026.

Chrisb   
2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

From The Athletic. The bit I've highlighted concerns me.

Chelsea have reached an agreement in principle with Inter Milan that will see striker Romelu Lukaku rejoin the Italian club on a season-long loan, The Athletic understands.

Inter will pay a fee of €8 million plus add-ons, while terms over the 29-year-old’s salary and performance bonuses have also been accepted.

Lukaku is expected to undergo a medical next week before completing his move back to the side he helped win the Serie A title with in the 2020-21 season.

Inter will not have an option or obligation to buy Lukaku after his loan spell.

Paperwork for the transfer is in the process of being finalised, with the relationship between Chelsea’s new co-owner Todd Boehly and Michael Yormark — president of Roc Nation, who represent Lukaku — proving key to the deal getting done

Lukaku is contracted at Stamford Bridge until 2026.

That is a worry Bob. If he can’t be moved on next season then he potentially comes back to Chelsea. Not a scenario I’d like to see happen.

Just now, Chrisb said:

That is a worry Bob. If he can’t be moved on next season then he potentially comes back to Chelsea. Not a scenario I’d like to see happen.

More to the point it's another distraction that will need dealing with in next summers window.

Chrisb   
1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

More to the point it's another distraction that will need dealing with in next summers window.

True.

Fingers crossed that the pizzerias in Milan set up a go-fund-me to raise the money to buy him permanently.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

Not so fast. He still needs to pass a medical 😬🌭🌮🌯🍔🍖🍝🍟

According to Simon Phillips on Twitter:

”Inter wanted a 2-year loan deal for Lukaku but those deals aren’t allowed anymore. So another year loan deal at the end of this one is likely, and that should then include a cheaper obligation/option to buy. There’s no way Lukaku will contemplate coming back to Chelsea.”

51 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

According to Simon Phillips on Twitter:

”Inter wanted a 2-year loan deal for Lukaku but those deals aren’t allowed anymore. So another year loan deal at the end of this one is likely, and that should then include a cheaper obligation/option to buy. There’s no way Lukaku will contemplate coming back to Chelsea.”

There’s no way any sane person would like him back. 

4 hours ago, chelboy said:

A lot of insults being thrown his way but I think Lukaku is doing us a favour by leaving and making sure it’s before pre season. I’m pretty sure there would have been some people at this club that would have still wanted this to work for next season. Forcing him to stay and telling the manager to make it work. TT doesn’t want to play in a way that suits his strengths. This whole thing has been a waste of time.

Probably shows that we need more football minded people at this club so that crap like this doesn’t happen again. I have no bad feelings towards him, just disappointed he gave up so early but when you look at everything, it’s for the best that he moves on so giving up was always going to happen the moment he realised he doesn’t suit us and that he made a mistake. I still wonder if his heart was ever in this move or if he listened to those around him especially considering Inter needed the money. He still finished our top scorer btw for those who think he’s a crap player, he clearly isn’t. I’ll still say he’s top ten strikers in the world right now. 

Lol. 

Sciatika   
11 hours ago, Ham said:

Not so fast. He still needs to pass a medical 😬🌭🌮🌯🍔🍖🍝🍟

Is measuring his weight part of the medical?

According Gazetta della Sport in Italy Lukaku was "moved to tears" at his return to Inter.

He must really like Gelato.