JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

9 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Long article from The Athletic looking at the behind-the-scenes stuff...

Behind the scenes, Lukaku has played a substantial role in driving the transfer, while his attorney Sebastien Ledure has been cited as an important figure in the Italian media.

———

In turn, Lukaku issued private and public apologies, the latter provided in a rather awkward and perhaps embarrassing fashion in front of the cameras for the club’s Fifth Stand app. “Now it is on me to make sure I show my commitment 100 per cent,” he said. It wasn’t the most convincing show of contrition as fans commented on him smiling on several occasions.

———

What has come to light in the six months since is just how much Lukaku’s actions caused issues in the squad. The vast majority of those in the dressing room won the Champions League final in May last year and The Athletic has been told there was a strong reaction from some of the players, pointing out that Lukaku had come into a squad of European champions and given the impression — intentionally or otherwise — to some that he was better than them.

Sources went on to explain that Tuchel was caught in the middle and made decisions on what was best for the dynamic and chose the group over an individual.

But Lukaku wants to be a focal point and have that unconditional trust and backing. Those who have worked closely with him previously feel that, while he requires a demanding coach, he also needs to feel the trust and love of a manager. The strength of his bond with Antonio Conte was key to his success over two years at Inter.

———

Over the following months, Lukaku sent messages to people he knew at Inter expressing a desire to return and telling old team-mates there to stay so they could play together again.

———

Lukaku was praised for being in great physical shape while at Inter and began Chelsea’s 2021-22 campaign in a similar vein. But once he’d suffered the ankle problems and health issues, the club felt he was effectively starting from scratch, that he needed a pre-season to get back to his peak. But, of course, that isn’t possible mid-season. There was an acceptance in February that he wasn’t in as good a condition as when he arrived six months earlier.

———

This loan is only a temporary solution for now. One wonders what will happen in 12 months.

For example, what if Tuchel has underperformed? Chelsea could always decide to hire a new coach who they believe can get the most out of Lukaku and bring him back for another try.

However, one cannot imagine the fans giving him a warm welcome in that instance, considering the events of the past year. Lukaku has had two opportunities to succeed at Chelsea now and it did not work out on either occasion. He will be compared unfavourably to other expensive forwards who disappointed in the blue shirt, such as Andriy Shevchenko, Fernando Torres and Alvaro Morata.

At Inter, many will see him as a returning hero, though the Curva Nord, where the ultras stand, will need winning over. They have not forgotten his “betrayal” less than a year ago and set out their position in a statement issued the day after the deal was finalised.

No representatives of the Nord or the groups it comprises were allowed to welcome Lukau at the airport in Milan when he arrived, while any adulation he would receive in the future has to be “earned with sweat and humility on the pitch”.

The statement read: “He was supported (and treated) like a King. Now he is no different from anybody else.”

This view cuts against the grain of excitement generated by the unexpected return of a former Serie A MVP. Fans ignored the directive from the Nord and congregated outside Linate airport late on Tuesday night to greet Lukaku. Then again outside the clinic where he was performing his medical on Wednesday, where there were chants of “Portaci lo Scudetto” — “Bring us the title”. It was a stark contrast to the indifference and disappointment he leaves behind in the Premier League. That unfinished business he had at Chelsea remains just that.

To think he once had a dream of emulating his hero Drogba, but this now appears forlorn.

(Other contributors: David Ornstein and James Horncastle)v

Lots of things here that makes Lukaku look really bad. Imagine if he has to come back here next season? The club should obviously ask Inter to pay up a substantial fee next season if he does well. 8m is nowhere near his book value (not even half) per season. I’d like the club to play hard ball and just ask for the full 19,5m eur or Inter can do one. If he doesn’t want to play the part of being S3 here at the club then he should lower his wage packet so much Inter can afford to pay us. 

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

"I'm back baby" - what an f-wit!! No shame; no embarrassment - I rarely wish ill on players, but he really takes the cake. If I said what I really feel about this guy, I'd have to ban myself!

Him and Pogba, same ilk. Same spoiled generation who think they are better than everyone else. 

Me too have to restrain myself. Not because he’s been ****, but due to his behaviour. At least I’d argued he wasn’t world class and we should stay away when talks of us signing him last summer came to light. To be fair, him scoring 15 goals across all comps feels par for what one could expect from him here. It just feels like everyone else is surprised. 

Sciatika   

If he pulled an Elliott, I won't give t a second thought.

• Like 1

RDCW   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

"I'm back baby" - what an f-wit!! No shame; no embarrassment - I rarely wish ill on players, but he really takes the cake. If I said what I really feel about this guy, I'd have to ban myself!

🤣

Apparently he's going to wear the number 90 shirt , which I expect signifies how much profit Inter made selling him to us and not how many pounds overweight he was at Chelsea.

• Haha 1

asvaberg   

I'd just leave him there - leave and forget about him. 

The only living person that should they ever do a live action Shrek movie could play the Ogre and the Donkey at the same time has spoken , well sort of..the man is a maroon.

ROM.jpg

Edited by Mark Kelly

Looking though his instagram acocunt you'd have to wonder how the f*** the club ever thought buying that clown was a good idea. 

Ego the size of Julius Ceasar. Ability on par with a sack of potatoes. I'm absolutely thrilled he's gone. I wish him no well in his future career and hope this ends his ties with the club completely - both contractual but also emotional. If he was ever a Chelsea man he should be ashamed of himself. 

Just now, Sleeping Dave said:

Looking though his instagram acocunt you'd have to wonder how the f*** the club ever thought buying that clown was a good idea. 

Ego the size of Julius Ceasar. Ability on par with a sack of potatoes. I'm absolutely thrilled he's gone. I wish him no well in his future career and hope this ends his ties with the club completely - both contractual but also emotional. If he was ever a Chelsea man he should be ashamed of himself. 

Imagine being an avowed Chelsea supporter and being shite twice ! what a berk.

RDCW   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

The only living person that should they ever do a live action Shrek movie could play the Ogre and the Donkey at the same time has spoken , well sort of..the man is a maroon.

ROM.jpg

He really isn't the sharpest of marbles is he? All this silly sniping at CFC, who had the good grace to let him go, and no thought of the fact that he could well find himself back here in 12 months.

Just now, RDCW said:

He really isn't the sharpest of marbles is he? All this silly sniping at CFC, who had the good grace to let him go, and no thought of the fact that he could well find himself back here in 12 months.

I think , knowing that UEFA banned two year loans , we must surely have a triggered extra year clause or something to ensure he never returns although the thought of him having a rotten year and us needing to loan him  to Pescara or someone equally as uninspiring  for the next year would be amusing .