My Blood Is Blue

Champions League 21/22

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I may be misremembering but wasn't it because the Olympics were on and they wanted players to get away before the tournament started?

the olympics were in August

Sciatika   

That's right. Euro 2012 started in June and they wanted the squad together for two weeks before. Thet ended in July immediately followed by the Olympics ending in mid-August and the PL would start a week later. So if the players were to get a break it had to be late May. Or something.

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Euro 2012 I think it must have been

Just now, Sciatika said:

That's right. Euro 2012 started in June and they wanted the squad together for two weeks before. Thet ended in July immediately followed by the Olympics ending in mid-August and the PL would start a week later. So if the players were to get a break it had to be late May. Or something.

that all makes sense. 

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Astonishing 

Less violent than Diaby on JT, which could have killed him. And which didn't warrant any sanction from the ref. Blatant pen and yellow.

6 hours ago, Ham said:

Got a coach to and from the game. Took so long to get back I missed the victory parade. 

Flew on an early-morning flight from Birmingham to Frankfurt, then train to Stuttgart and then train to Munich. Saved a fortune compared to flying from any of the London airports.

Spectacular atmosphere all over the city-centre. We were massively outnumbered. I remember the Bayern fans chanting "Chelsea, Chelsea, Who the **** are Chelsea?" but it was good humoured. The police seemed to be successful at shepherding Chelsea fans into squares on our own.

Watched the game in a bar about two minutes from Marienplatz. It was 98% Chelsea, with a couple of very good-natured Germans, who seemed to enjoy the incredible atmosphere. It was just out of this world. Total and utter pandemonium by the end. The poor waitresses - who were phenomenal for the first 88 minutes, serving beers non-stop - were utterly terrified by the unreal celebrations and just buggered off, so you then had to queue at the bar, from  where you couldn't see the screen, so I don't think they sold much beer from the moment we equalised.

By the end, dozens of cops lined up outside the bar and I was a bit worried they might storm the place to calm everything down, but they were very good and let everyone go mental.

We then went round to the square by the Hofbrauhaus, which was also fantastic, with hundreds of Chelsea fans just going nuts.

Marienplatz was rammed and seemed to be 90% Bayern fans, who were obviously gutted but I didn't witness any trouble.

We had a few drinks in a bar by the station before catching the 2am train. One Bayern fan gave my young nephew his half-and -half scarf, which was a nice gesture.

The crush at the station was not pleasant, but we managed to find seats in a packed train. They must have laid on extra carriages as the train went on for miles.

Just a magical weekend in every way.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Flew on an early-morning flight from Birmingham to Frankfurt, then train to Stuttgart and then train to Munich. Saved a fortune compared to flying from any of the London airports.

Spectacular atmosphere all over the city-centre. We were massively outnumbered. I remember the Bayern fans chanting "Chelsea, Chelsea, Who the **** are Chelsea?" but it was good humoured. The police seemed to be successful at shepherding Chelsea fans into squares on our own.

Watched the game in a bar about two minutes from Marienplatz. It was 98% Chelsea, with a couple of very good-natured Germans, who seemed to enjoy the incredible atmosphere. It was just out of this world. Total and utter pandemonium by the end. The poor waitresses - who were phenomenal for the first 88 minutes, serving beers non-stop - were utterly terrified by the unreal celebrations and just buggered off, so you then had to queue at the bar, from  where you couldn't see the screen, so I don't think they sold much beer from the moment we equalised.

By the end, dozens of cops lined up outside the bar and I was a bit worried they might storm the place to calm everything down, but they were very good and let everyone go mental.

We then went round to the square by the Hofbrauhaus, which was also fantastic, with hundreds of Chelsea fans just going nuts.

Marienplatz was rammed and seemed to be 90% Bayern fans, who were obviously gutted but I didn't witness any trouble.

We had a few drinks in a bar by the station before catching the 2am train. One Bayern fan gave my young nephew his half-and -half scarf, which was a nice gesture.

The crush at the station was not pleasant, but we managed to find seats in a packed train. They must have laid on extra carriages as the train went on for miles.

Just a magical weekend in every way.

Spent pre-match at the Ratzkellar in Marienplatz. Beautiful location.  Architecture to die for.  Brilliant banter outside as well as it was 75% Chelsea 25% Bayern.