JaneB

Chelsea 3 Aston Villa 0

Only real downside was the shocking debut of Saul. I know he was thrown in at the deep end, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone give the ball away so much. Or stroll about behind and around the play seemingly like a passenger. Did he even make a tackle or interception? And he’s been playing for a Simeone side? What was that all about? 

I just hope he can recover mentally as it’s a crucial position for us and Tuchel showed a lot of faith in starting him. I seriously thought we were bringing in a top class starter not someone we’re going to have to bed in over several months. That wasn’t the plan at all. And judging by Tuchel’s starting him straight away, I don’t think Tuchel had any notion to introduce him gradually. What’s our back up to rotating Jorginho and Kante if Saul doesn’t work out and we’ve sent Gilmour out on loan? 

Edited by Original 21

This was dull, grey and boring. Yet we won 3-0 and scored some really nice goals and had several decent chances. We never looked solid, which is rare under TT. Very strange game. Maybe because of Villa and their sudden change in formation?

Mendy looks really good! I don't think people understand the importance of a world class keeper. We could easily have conceded. I see some people say "easy saves" "straight at him". Listen, this is a hallmark of a good keeper. Cech was Mr Easy Saves, or as I like to call it, Mr Always at the right place at the right time. 

Mount is crucial to this side. Havertz and Lukaku cannot play at the same time unless Mount is playing imo. We really need that quick and moveable object in between the lines when we play so heavy and big players like Havertz and Lukaku. Pulisic is doable, but he is too much of a wide player to make up for all the open space inside the pitch. Mount is very important for us. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

5 hours ago, didierforever said:

No mean feat achieving 100 appearances at 20. That's a proper indication of his talent levels. I just hope he shows to fans on the pitch what he is clearly showing the managers in training.

Absolutely. he must look terrific in training to get that many chances.

But is is a poor indication of his performances which have consistently been below expectations (and were even as a younger player).
That is why only 22 of those 100 appearances have been PL starts.  It isn't just TT that has been frustrated by the way he can't put training form into matches.  It was Sarri and Lampard too.

Blue Rod   

Nice relaxed atmosphere at the Bridge. Our performance though was anything but relaxation-inducing. 

I still think that there is a creativity problem with Tuchel. It will never stop him or us from winning lots of trophies, but one must stay objective. You can see how every attacking player is struggling a little bit despite the team playing well. Pulisic, Havertz, CHO, Ziyech, Mount, Werner -  none of them is playing their best attacking game, and I say this with all due respect to all these fine players. That is the way we are set up.

Mendy was brilliant yesterday. He is my kind of keeper - solid, reliable, keeps it simple and not look for fancy. All his saves were what you'd expect from a top PL keeper. But that is exactly what we need.

I thought our defence did well without breaking a sweat, despite a couple of scary moments. Our problem was our midfield being overrun far too easily. 

About CHO, we don't really know whether to judge his performance by how well he defends or how much he creates. Havertz was worse than him yesterday, yet the young Englishman seems to get all the attention for the wrong reason. I don't think that CHO will ever fit into this system. The best thing would have been to let him go on loan, then decide thereafter.

What the hell is creativity when you've got a player like Romelu Lukaku. Stay solid, one pass, and it's ball in the net. Maybe that it our template. It worked in CL final. 

Edited by Blue Rod

2 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Only real downside was the shocking debut of Saul. I know he was thrown in at the deep end, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone give the ball away so much. Or stroll about behind and around the play seemingly like a passenger. Did he even make a tackle or interception? 

Kovacic gave the ball away just as much, it wasn't just Saul.  
But yes, it was poor all around, while Kovacic and Chalobah did good things to offset their similar mistakes.

And he’s been playing for a Simeone side? What was that all about? 

Yes he seems to have started most of AMs games this calendar year and come on as sub in all others except 1 (and suspended in another).  Included 2+1 in AM's games this season.
So it shouldn't be some attitude problem.  (Mind you Drinkwater also started regularly at the tail of his Leicester time. )

When the midfield seem overwhelmed that is usually a 10 man thing not a 2 man thing.  The whole team contributed to that.  

What’s our back up to rotating Jorginho and Kante if Saul doesn’t work out and we’ve sent Gilmour out on loan? 

Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Saul, Mount, James, Ziyech, Havertz, Chalobah in roughly that order I suspect.

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When did Kovacic give the ball away like Saul?

When did Chalobah make an error?

Two players you made your mind up about previously and now damn them with feint praise every opportunity you get. 

Just like you downgrade Mendy's continued excellence as you put your money on Kepa being first choice this season .

It's beyond comical.

Guest Northern Lights   
Guest Northern Lights
7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

When did Kovacic give the ball away like Saul?

When did Chalobah make an error?

Two players you made your mind up about previously and now damn them with feint praise every opportunity you get. 

Just like you downgrade Mendy's continued excellence as you put your money on Kepa being first choice this season .

It's beyond comical.

Mendy’s double save alone was world class. Absolutely world class. 🙌🏿🔥

56 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Any stats for this? I'm genuinely curious as I completely missed it. All I saw was Saul looking totally out of sorts and Kovacic playing excellently. 

Ham   
58 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But yes, it was poor all around, while Kovacic and Chalobah did good things to offset their similar mistakes.

Kovacic had worse stats than this?  Seriously?  You're ridiculous. You really are. Saul was only on the pitch for 45 minutes remember. 

These stats don't even include misplaced passes to the oppo. 

Screenshot_20210912-125658_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ham