JaneB

Chelsea sign Saul Niguez on season long loan

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Two PL starts since he joined, subbed off after 45 minutes in both. Do we think we'll see him in a league game again?

No, I don’t think we will. If we have the option, I think we may actually send him back in January, because he’s not even really an option at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Two PL starts since he joined, subbed off after 45 minutes in both. Do we think we'll see him in a league game again?

Hopefully not. His last 18 months at Atletico certainly told the story that was worth knowing - he's nowhere near the player he once briefly was. 

For me he is our CM 8 after Jorginho, Kanté, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Mount, Chalobah and Barkley. We simply do not need him in the squad and we never should have taken him on loan. All the signs were there (despite some members insistance we had signed one of the best CMs in world football). The question one should be asking is whether he'll ever play for a true top side again? I don't see a future for him at Atletico. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mana   

This guy is near Bakayoko levels. Red flags were raised when Atletico wanted him gone so bad and we ignored the flags. Slowly paying the price. Thank GOD this is only a loan and we will see the back of him at the end of the season.

Edited by Mana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Hopefully not. His last 18 months at Atletico certainly told the story that was worth knowing - he's nowhere near the player he once briefly was. 

For me he is our CM 8 after Jorginho, Kanté, Kovacic, Loftus-Cheek, Mount, Chalobah and Barkley. We simply do not need him in the squad and we never should have taken him on loan. All the signs were there (despite some members insistance we had signed one of the best CMs in world football). The question one should be asking is whether he'll ever play for a true top side again? I don't see a future for him at Atletico. 

Interesting quote below from 2nd September 2021:

Good move to get him in on loan in order to assess whether his dramatic drop in form is due to mental reasons, fatigue or that he just needed a change of scenery or a new manager who's beliefs in him matches his own. 

No doubt a fantastic addition if he can return to his old form. If not, no major risk taken and back he goes to A Madrid next summer. We desperately needed a fourth midfielder and now we have it. 

Not sure anyone insisted we had signed one of the best CMs in World Football, either........certainly not on these 5 pages.

Edit - FWIW I think he looks like exactly the sort of player who just isn't suited to the PL. Hopefully he'll be sent back in January 

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Two PL starts since he joined, subbed off after 45 minutes in both. Do we think we'll see him in a league game again?

I can see him coming on as a sub in a dead rubber situation. I can't see him starting for us again in the PL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bert19   
20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

 

Edit - FWIW I think he looks like exactly the sort of player who just isn't suited to the PL. Hopefully he'll be sent back in January 

I think it's this.  I don't think it's lack of effort or anything, I just think he lost his form and confidence (for whatever reasons) and he's struggling.  He's in a bit of a catch 22 as well - he's not playing well enough to be given many opportunities, but the only way he can improve and regain his previous form is by playing regularly.  

Last night he just looked lost (not particularly helped by RLC who I also thought was pretty dodgy) and then terrified of letting everyone down by being sent off after he got that yellow card.  

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I can see him coming on as a sub in a dead rubber situation. I can't see him starting for us again in the PL.

Yeh. Agreed.  A leg-saver for the other CMs and AMs if/when we're comfortably before a decision is made in January.  For the impact he's had, surely sending him back and recalling Ampadu is as much of an option as keeping him is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Interesting quote below from 2nd September 2021:

Good move to get him in on loan in order to assess whether his dramatic drop in form is due to mental reasons, fatigue or that he just needed a change of scenery or a new manager who's beliefs in him matches his own. 

No doubt a fantastic addition if he can return to his old form. If not, no major risk taken and back he goes to A Madrid next summer. We desperately needed a fourth midfielder and now we have it. 

Not sure anyone insisted we had signed one of the best CMs in World Football, either........certainly not on these 5 pages.

Edit - FWIW I think he looks like exactly the sort of player who just isn't suited to the PL. Hopefully he'll be sent back in January 

Unfortunately I am absolutely rubbish at using the search function on here. I never seem to find what I'm looking for. 

I did have numerous discussions with Martin who thought it was a fantastic addition (he mentioned world class and one of the best CMs in world football) whereas I claimed that his form recently had been shambolic and that there was a reason AM were so keen to let him leave on loan. 

But point taken, perhaps a bit rash to say we should never have loaned him as the risk was so limited. But it certainly was a pointless endevour. 

But going by my exceptions outlined above. He certainly has not returned to his old brief form, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Not sure what the reason is, but I suppose fatigue and change of scenery can be scratched off the list. Not saying he's got a mental illness, but there is something fishy going on with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presume that he must be showing some sort of ability in training for Tuchel to pick him in the first place.  Looked like a fish out of water in the two halves I have seen him play. 

I hope he gets it back together for his own sake but sadly I think his days at Chelsea are numbered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

 

But point taken, perhaps a bit rash to say we should never have loaned him as the risk was so limited. But it certainly was a pointless endevour. 

 

It certainly seems that way. If he doesn't play at Brentford, and play well, I can see that being it.  (maybe he will play in Russia?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now