JaneB

Chelsea 0 Manchester City 1

chelboy   
4 minutes ago, Bison said:

True, but it worked well against Spurs for 30 mins or so. That was a very dominant second half display (against Spurs). It was worth a gamble but Man City aren't Spurs.

We played badly and lost. They simply have too many quick, technical and skilful players in the areas that matter.

Against Spurs we still had someone in Havertz to fill in those pockets of space and pick up loose balls as well as link midfield and attack. When he came off it was at 2-0 and Spurs were pushing for a goal. Different approach to City. To start a game without anyone linking midfield and attack for 65 mins or so is so odd. What were we trying to create going forward. Who were we going to play through to make that link? Kova? Kante? Werner? None are capable. 

chelboy   
5 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Some members in here claimed he (Grealish) wouldn’t strengthen them. Pfft, of course he has and always would. 

City are head and shoulders the best side in this league. Hopefully this will be an abrupt wake up call for the ones who have been talking us up as clearly the best side in the Prem. Hand on heart, how many of our players would get into their starting eleven? Kante over Rodri? Perhaps. Lukaku probably. That says all you need to know. 

Our entire back line gets in including Mendy. Maybe not Alonso. Kante definitely gets in same with Lukaku. I think we are pretty even with City overall tbh. Today was just a bad game plan. I think Liverpool are our main title rivals anyway. 

Bison   
3 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Some members in here claimed he (Grealish) wouldn’t strengthen them. Pfft, of course he has and always would. 

City are head and shoulders the best side in this league. Hopefully this will be an abrupt wake up call for the ones who have been talking us up as clearly the best side in the Prem. Hand on heart, how many of our players would get into their starting eleven? Kante over Rodri? Perhaps. Lukaku probably. That says all you need to know. 

Grealish is perfect for a team like City. Somebody who draws that much attention will leave other good players free elsewhere. I bet De Bruyne and Foden are enjoying his presence. 

I seriously, seriously doubt Lukaku could ever play for a Guardiola team. He is too unreliable technically and on today's performance he is too heavy to press effectively from the front. Maybe I'm seeing things but at one point it looked like Azpi had to calm down an argument between Alonso and Lukaku. I think Alonso was saying he wasn't pressing, he made that gesture (closed fist into an open palm).

Floyd25   

We’re a top team but City have quality in every position, goals that come from every position. They also know what it’s like to win titles in recent seasons, it’s hard to compete with that consistently. I think we’re still lacking a creative spark, still lacking players that can play a killer ball, lacking composure in the final third, same as last season really, we don’t get enough out of certain players. 

8 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Our entire back line gets in including Mendy. Maybe not Alonso. Kante definitely gets in same with Lukaku. I think we are pretty even with City overall tbh. Today was just a bad game plan. I think Liverpool are our main title rivals anyway. 

Behave. Our defenders are better than Dias, Laporte, Stones, Cancelo and Walker? You may make an argument for Silva. But I seriously doubt he’d be playing much for City.

Rob B   
2 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Behave. Our defenders are better than Dias, Laporte, Stones, Cancelo and Walker? You may make an argument for Silva. But I seriously doubt he’d be playing much for City.

Collectively, of course they are!!  Rudiger, Silva and Christensen are better than any of their CBs for starters.  Walker stands out, but both Azpi and Reece are better than Cancelo

We shouldn’t hype City up too much today.  We were crap and got it badly wrong tactically.  Their goal was a bit flukey and other than a couple of half chances, they didn’t ever look like they were going to pump us. 

Regarding City , every time we have played them recently we've been underdogs and won , today we saw why Pep stopped trying to be clever and did exactly what he should have done in the Champions League final. City are miles above us in quality but we had the edge because we played to our strengths and negated theirs , today we didn't lay a glove on them . Poor.

chelboy   
1 minute ago, The_Ghost said:

Behave. Our defenders are better than Dias, Laporte, Stones, Cancelo and Walker? 

Absolutely. I wouldn’t be interested in Stones or Laporte. Both donkeys with concentration problems. Dias is quite good but I would rather have Silva, Rudiger or Christensen tbh. Walker, other than pace he doesn’t have much. Would rather James. Cancelo I would pick over Alonso and Chilwell. Mendy over Ederson any day.