JaneB

Chelsea 0 Manchester City 1

SS_89   

Just got back from the game. City were the better team but we made it easy for them the amount of second balls we didn't challenge them at all made it incredibly easy for them to play out whilst they double manned us every time.

City looked like a team who had a day extra to prep and plan for the game as well. Bad day at the office but early days. Move and learn what we can from it.

21 minutes ago, Bison said:

Grealish is perfect for a team like City. Somebody who draws that much attention will leave other good players free elsewhere. I bet De Bruyne and Foden are enjoying his presence. 

I seriously, seriously doubt Lukaku could ever play for a Guardiola team. He is too unreliable technically and on today's performance he is too heavy to press effectively from the front. Maybe I'm seeing things but at one point it looked like Azpi had to calm down an argument between Alonso and Lukaku. I think Alonso was saying he wasn't pressing, he made that gesture (closed fist into an open palm).

If you remember we paid 100m for Lukaku so he could shine against Burnley not against a top half team let alone a top team.. money well spent IMHO

Game of 2 halves - or rather it changed completely once City had scored on 52mins.
Previously our sit deep strategy had been successful.  Very few of their better chances came H1 (the xg chart confirms it).
And Previously they simply stopped up from playing in their own half which meant by 30 mins we could only pass back and then hoof it.
H2 we were a lot weaker in defence - they had multiple good chances - but we were at least allowed to play in both halves.

Mendy and the back 5 were terrific - even Alonso who is not always so solid in our half.
The midfield struggled - possibly because we had no Harvetz or Mount or Pulisic or Ziyech who could receive and hold it three quarters up the pitch.  

Did TT get it wrong?  No.  To play City you either take them on (as Sarri did winning one, getting thrashed the other time) or sit deep as TT did twice successfully.  Half measures will get you killed.  
The City press was excellent from the start and they managed, just, to score in the first 60 by when it would have exhausted itself anyway.  Individually City perhaps disappointed with no stars, but as a team they were excellent.

Ref:  Is there a new rule that prevents bookings in H1?  On about 42mins one of their CBs (Dias?) effectively rugby tackled Lukaku on the half way line when he had turned.  It was a clear booking but just a freekick.  The ref made it quite clear than as well as "letting the play go on" that no one was going to get 2 yellows.  That is like blessing a pressing team with 10 get out of jail cards.
Arguably it was even handed, Alonso certainly should have been booked H1 when he grabbed the legs of a City man by the corner flag when he wanted a foul given.  The ref knew he had got it wrong (no shame in that) but bottled the deserved booking.

I'm not quite sure of the point of bringing on RLC.  Are we looking for a CM4 who can only play Villa in the LC or City when their press is both exhausted and unnecessary?  If we want to find out if he can play DM for us in the future then he should be at Norwich instead of Gilmour.

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

We're probably missing Pulisic the most in this game.

Yes.  Someone who could drop short and turn with the ball.   Lukaku struggles with that, and Werner likes the ball played ahead of him. 
Mount or Havertz could have done it partly.

1 minute ago, r.bartlett said:

If you remember we paid 100m for Lukaku so he could shine against Burnley not against a top half team let alone a top team.. money well spent IMHO

Good point.  Begs the question - should we have (could we have) dropped him for this?  I dunno.

Don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a Tuchel Chelsea side. Utterly wrong from the start. Much too passive, meek, defensive. As if Tuchel didn't trust his players. We're the Champions of Europe not Burnley. We made them look like the best team in the world. Talk about playing to your opponent's strengths. When Tuchel had the chance at half time to fix things, he just let it carry on. After that it was predictable they would score. Then it was too little, too late. What a wasted opportunity.

Bad day at the office, WB's barely got forward, to intrested trying to pass it around amongst the defenders and midfield..thought we stopped all that.

I don't think we once gave Werner a ball over the top, and he and Lukaku looked crap,

we gave them to much respect, should have played to try to win the game instead of looking to not lose.

Only good thing is United lost, and let's hope for Brentford to upset Liverpool

The lure of playing Werner was too strong for Tuchel to resist. It backfired.

I can get why TT went with this selection. He’s got most decisions right since he came in, so can’t be too critical on what turned out to be a wrong call, as can see the reasoning behind it.

We simply had no players in between the lines to receive the ball and link up play. Mount form not great, but we badly missed him. Havertz should have started with hindsight.

These things happen. No real damage done, but no doubts TT will have learned a lot from how the game played out.

Rob B   
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not quite sure of the point of bringing on RLC.  Are we looking for a CM4 who can only play Villa in the LC or City when their press is both exhausted and unnecessary?  If we want to find out if he can play DM for us in the future then he should be at Norwich instead of Gilmour.

The point was obvious for me - I was calling for it at half time.

Jorginho is great at what he’s good at. Buzzing around, creating angles, receiving the ball and popping it off, setting the tempo. 

City pressed like demons today and at one point had 70% of the ball, rendering Jorginho almost useless.  But the moment that KDB skipped past Jorginho on the touchline was probably when TT decided the game was becoming too open and Jorginho has neither the pace or strength to protect the counter attack. 

RLC is also very effective at beating the press by going past a man or two.  As we saw in the week and again today.  You thought we wouldn’t see him again for a few months, but fortunately TT saw what the majority of us saw.  I’m not clambering  for him to become a nailed on starter either btw, but he will definitely have his uses over the course of a long season. 

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

We made them look like the best team in the world.

Hate to point out the bleeding obvious but, if we are being honest, they probably are. Which makes Tuchel’s 3-1 pretty impressive.

18 minutes ago, Rob B said:

The point was obvious for me - I was calling for it at half time.

Jorginho is great at what he’s good at. Buzzing around, creating angles, receiving the ball and popping it off, setting the tempo. 

City pressed like demons today and at one point had 70% of the ball, rendering Jorginho almost useless.  But the moment that KDB skipped past Jorginho on the touchline was probably when TT decided the game was becoming too open and Jorginho has neither the pace or strength to protect the counter attack. 

So Jorginho not good endough defensively - bring on RLC.  is this a new RLC I haven't seen before?
There was a better argument that TT wanted an open game and that he thought RLC might thrive in it.    So would Jorginho though.

20 minutes ago, Rob B said:

RLC is also very effective at beating the press by going past a man or two.  As we saw in the week and again today.  You thought we wouldn’t see him again for a few months, but fortunately TT saw what the majority of us saw.  I’m not clambering  for him to become a nailed on starter either btw, but he will definitely have his uses over the course of a long season. 

High presses actually want you to take them on.  Trying to dribble past them in your own half is a mugs game.  

I'm curious, there seems to be a consensus that RLC is something he has never been before (at least never for the first team or for Palace or Fulham).  It is as though all the certainty about Gilmour has been transferred to RLC.

Rob B   
11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So Jorginho not good endough defensively - bring on RLC.  is this a new RLC I haven't seen before?
There was a better argument that TT wanted an open game and that he thought RLC might thrive in it.    So would Jorginho though.

High presses actually want you to take them on.  Trying to dribble past them in your own half is a mugs game.  

I'm curious, there seems to be a consensus that RLC is something he has never been before (at least never for the first team or for Palace or Fulham).  It is as though all the certainty about Gilmour has been transferred to RLC.

Do they?  I don’t agree.  You beat the first man and it pulls everyone else behind him out of position as someone has to then go to the ball etc. 

Why do you keep bringing Gilmour into the conversation?  He’s on loan because he’s a promising kid and needs regular game time? Not really anything to do with this.