JaneB

Chelsea 0 Manchester City 1

Ruudboy   

Agreed, and just back myself - although Lofty was surprisingly good. If you'd offered me 3:1 versus Pep a couple of years ago, I'd have bitten your hand off. Tight game, and in a weird way enjoyable, although I'm surprised they didn't score more. Mendy was a bargain, wasn't he?

Ruudboy   
1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

A lot of negativity here, a bad day at the office but its just 1 game and a tough one at that. Utd lost to Villa, now thats fun and come on the Bees this evening

Heart says Brentford 1:0, head says Pool lots, Brentford 1. Toney to score first.

We are European Champions and yet we start a home game with a keeper and 8 defensively minded players. Embarrassing, cowardly tactics which deservedly got nothing and its the same dreadfully dull football everytime we play M City, Utd or Liverpool. Tuchel is a one trick pony who just sets us up to spoil and hopefully knick a goal and hang on to a lead. Added to that, we are woefully short of quality in midfield and have blown £150 m on a couple of forwards with the ball skills of a brick wall. 

25 minutes ago, kratos said:

Just got back from the game.

Wasn't a good day at the office but if you're gonna lose to City then better to do it now.

Needed more of an outlet today when breaking.

Timo pulled a couple of times when he could have gone on and was disappointing for the most part.

Really needed a Mount or Pulisic today to carry the ball but hey you can't win them all.

Do people still have faith in Pulisic? The guy is never fit for more than 5 games.

SS_89   
2 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Do people still have faith in Pulisic? The guy is never fit for more than 5 games.

Not really tbh, as they say the best ability is availability and if you're constantly injured you're never going to get a consistent run in the team. It's a shame as he's still young and a genuine talent but can't help but feel frustrated. 

Blue Rod   
31 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Pretty much my opinion. He's not got the skills to single handedly take over a game like Drogba or Costa. He's a player that stands on the shoulders of others. When there's no lily to gild he's a bit superfluous.

Some of Lukaku's performance worry me a lot. Today he reminded me of that Liverpool match - looking intimidated when he should be intimidating defenders, poor general work rate, walking about looking exhausted even from.the first minute. No press, poor techniques in ball control and passing. Even Tammy could press better

Werner was equally ineffective. I still can't get my head round TT's tactics today.  Sending out a double No 9 who put no press at all on the opponents meant we were put outnumbered in every part of the pitch.  It was a dreadful tactics, I'm sorry.

• Like 1

Lukaku will score if he’s given service and support. Not if he’s isolated fifty yards away from the midfield. I have no idea what our tactics were today but it was ridiculous. At one point Werner found himself in their half alone surrounded by three defenders. Not one of our players was within half a pitch of him. He took on three players manfully and still no one came to support him. What was he supposed to do? When Havertz came on he instantly set up Lukaku even though it was offside. Why didn’t Tuchel make the change at halftime? At least we’d have given ourselves a chance. It seems like Tuchel was crying out for a striker who can finish, now he’s got one he doesn’t know what to do with him. If anything comes out of this you’d hope Tuchel has learned something. Loftus Cheek was our best outfield player by some distance by the way.

Positive thinking:

If any other team thinks they can play just 2 CBs against Havertz and Lukaku while relying on a fantastic press to stop us from setting them up, they are very welcome to try.

The whole back 5 (and big credit to Mendy) did brilliantly.  The midfield 3 did their defensive duties well.  We limited them to only narrow chances, and the goal they got  required some luck (though not undeserved).

If Lukaku had not misjudged that first half cross from Lukaku and scored we would I reckon have won this.

Just now, Super Kenny Monkou said:

Well those that can count do.  Check out his record
https://www.livesport.com/uk/player/pulisic-christian/vTuaEfRq/

1 minute ago, SS_89 said:

Not really tbh, as they say the best ability is availability and if you're constantly injured you're never going to get a consistent run in the team. It's a shame as he's still young and a genuine talent but can't help but feel frustrated. 

Ditto.  Then consider the pressure on the  hamstrings and ankles of a player like Pulisic.

206 club appearances and 40 internationals, and he was 23 last week.  19 more than Mason Mount who is 3 months younger.  

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

Collectively, of course they are!!  Rudiger, Silva and Christensen are better than any of their CBs for starters.  Walker stands out, but both Azpi and Reece are better than Cancelo

We shouldn’t hype City up too much today.  We were crap and got it badly wrong tactically.  Their goal was a bit flukey and other than a couple of half chances, they didn’t ever look like they were going to pump us. 

I’m seriously surprised anyone would claim that our CBs are better than City’s. One would do well to remember how City play - often two CBs and one defensive mid. The rest are all attacking players - even the fullbacks. Whenever this set of our defenders have been tasked to play in such a team it’s been a disaster. Of course, playing a 523 formation makes it easier. 

Dias and Laporte would both walk right into our starting eleven. Ditto Cancelo. Not even a debate IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Positive thinking:

If any other team thinks they can play just 2 CBs against Havertz and Lukaku while relying on a fantastic press to stop us from setting them up, they are very welcome to try.

The whole back 5 (and big credit to Mendy) did brilliantly.  The midfield 3 did their defensive duties well.  We limited them to only narrow chances, and the goal they got  required some luck (though not undeserved).

If Lukaku had not misjudged that first half cross from Lukaku and scored we would I reckon have won this.

Well those that can count do.  Check out his record
https://www.livesport.com/uk/player/pulisic-christian/vTuaEfRq/

Ditto.  Then consider the pressure on the  hamstrings and ankles of a player like Pulisic.

206 club appearances and 40 internationals, and he was 23 last week.  19 more than Mason Mount who is 3 months younger.  

He is a professional footballer. Pressure on ankles and hamstrings is part of the trade.