JaneB

Chelsea 3 Southampton 1

12 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

Kerry was imo amazing. Not just for his goals but his touch and vision too. I was at SB when Mark Lawrenson fouled him in the air (he was fouling Kerry all game), Kerry went down, suffered a bad abdominal injury and was never 100% since. Awful what happened to him in later life. But the Speedie-Nevin-Dixon trident was amazing to watch. 🙌🏿💙

Kerry Dixon was brilliant, as was David Speedie (other than his final season, when spent more time whinging than scoring), Gordon Durie and Kevin Wilson wern't too shabby either. Tore Andre Flo, Mark Hughes, Luka Viall and Franca Zolas were great too, but the likes of Tony Cascarino, Chris Sutton, Andriy Shevchenko, Alvarao Moratta plus one or two others can only be described as s**t!   Great to be back at the top, despite the usual love-in and w***fest from Sky and other media about Citeh and the other team in red.  Brentford away next, I hope we dont do what red mickeys do and think we only have to turn up to win this game.

Holymoly   
4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Maybe we need to shoot all the existing refs and replace them with a set with no pre-existing mindset and a new set of ref bosses

Or maybe they just need to be reminded that VAR is not there to re-referee matches. They are only there to correct blatant errors, not to provide a second subjective view on every single thing in a game. I don't even think they need to get too involved in hair breadth offside decisions. If a decision needs to be scrutinised for the length of time they sometimes take then it needs to be ruled onside. I thought there was going to be a wider grey area adopted this year anyway? To this end there is no way they should have disallowed Werner's goal. The game had reset at least twice after Azplicueta's supposed foul and it certainly had no bearing on the goal. Compare that with VOR's reaction to Milner not being sent off. Of course the officials won't have wanted to offend the Scummy crowd. The total lack of any consistancy is exactly the thing it was brought in to rectify. Instead we have this pig's breakfast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Kerry Dixon was brilliant, as was David Speedie (other than his final season, when spent more time whinging than scoring), Gordon Durie and Kevin Wilson wern't too shabby either.

Loved Speedie.  And when that team broke up I just knew Spackman and Speedie would end up at Liverpool.  There were a lot of flair players in the team, but when the team played badly, Spackman and Speedie always shone.  Funnily enough, I think Spackman was doing the irish commentary on the version I watched of the Southampton game.

18 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Or maybe they just need to be reminded that VAR is not there to re-referee matches. They are only there to correct blatant errors, not to provide a second subjective view on every single thing in a game.

Well we know that VAR is there to protect the reputation of referees while allowing them to be as biased as before or more.
If we wanted fairer reffing it would be done differently.
Refs or a super-ref would explain decisions with the conversations between VAR, linos and refs available live.   There'd be public rating of refs.  Divers would stay booked by the ref in black, even if the penalty was overruled by VAR - should happen regulalry but risks too much embarrassment.  Dangerous play would get punished post-match even if both ref and VAR overlooked it.
The system is not geared for the fan, or the players or as it turns out not even for the TV stations.  It purely protects referees.  It used to be if a ref slanted all his decisions to one side, every now or then he'd make embarrassing clangers.  Now he can be even more biased, sure that his mates will bail him out of the clangers.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Guest Northern Lights   
Guest Northern Lights
39 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Kerry Dixon was brilliant, as was David Speedie (other than his final season, when spent more time whinging than scoring), Gordon Durie and Kevin Wilson wern't too shabby either. Tore Andre Flo, Mark Hughes, Luka Viall and Franca Zolas were great too, but the likes of Tony Cascarino, Chris Sutton, Andriy Shevchenko, Alvarao Moratta plus one or two others can only be described as s**t!   Great to be back at the top, despite the usual love-in and w***fest from Sky and other media about Citeh and the other team in red.  Brentford away next, I hope we dont do what red mickeys do and think we only have to turn up to win this game.

Great post my bro!! 🙌🏿🧨

SS_89   

If the city/liverpool game has shown me anything it's that we're badly missing a player with some genuine dribbling and bravery to take a man on. Pulisic is probably the only player in the squad capable of it (I use to think hudson odoi would be that too but he's not really). Before that hazard probably the last player we had (I'm not suggesting we need to find somebody at that level!).

It's clear we are lacking that, hell tuchel has alluded to it a few times about lacking bravery and missing the opportunities to transition quickly, will somebody else step up?

Edited by SS_89

Jasonb   
10 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Werner has always been getting into good positions to score. Its just his finishing that has let him down.  He did well on Saturday, but it was against a team who haven't won a league game this season.

It could be psychological in not feeling the pressure is mainly on him to score.

Rob B   
2 hours ago, SS_89 said:

If the city/liverpool game has shown me anything it's that we're badly missing a player with some genuine dribbling and bravery to take a man on. Pulisic is probably the only player in the squad capable of it (I use to think hudson odoi would be that too but he's not really). Before that hazard probably the last player we had (I'm not suggesting we need to find somebody at that level!).

It's clear we are lacking that, hell tuchel has alluded to it a few times about lacking bravery and missing the opportunities to transition quickly, will somebody else step up?

Don’t disagree with this, but I’d add Mount to this list too.  Makes intelligent runs into the channels and can beat a player.  The players that slow our attack down and make us predictable / easier to defend against are Ziyech and Havertz.