JaneB

Brentford 0 Chelsea 1

30 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

To give sone perspective, a few comments on the BBC match thread about our style from people from Merseyside and they wouldn’t want to watch it.

Our style of play gets slagged off by all neutrals, not just the scoucers, with a number of them saying TT's football is even more boring than Jose's. It is effective at grinding out results but far too often its a hard watch. We're really lacking a player with that X factor.

Mendy saved the day. RLC deserves a mention as well. Apart from that the rest must do a lot better. 

Kante to be fair was great, but honestly - Kovacic. I simply do t see what he adds. Lots of huffs and puffs but no end game. And don’t get me started on Lukaku - yikes. That transfer is quickly starting to look insane. Not quite Torres, but 3 PL goals in well over 600 mins is simply not good enough.

Today he was useless but should still have scored two. You can’t run offside like that and how do you miss the goal from 5 yards out?

Holymoly   
6 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Our style of play gets slagged off by all neutrals, not just the scoucers, with a number of them saying TT's football is even more boring than Jose's. It is effective at grinding out results but far too often its a hard watch. We're really lacking a player with that X factor.

Yes we are, but I'd rather be coming away with the win playing like this than being more flamoyant and possibly losing points. At the start of the match, given the absentees and the referee, I'd have been perfectly happy in the knowlege we would win 1-0.

Edited by Holymoly

53 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Good luck with that! 😉

Fixing the Internet.jpg

Do we want to look like this and be top of the table or look like this and be mid table? I suggest a few chill out and accept not every game will be silky wins with clear tactics.

I am happy we are getting wins when too often in the past we would not have.

15 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Mendy saved the day. RLC deserves a mention as well. Apart from that the rest must do a lot better. 

Kante to be fair was great, but honestly - Kovacic. I simply do t see what he adds. Lots of huffs and puffs but no end game. And don’t get me started on Lukaku - yikes. That transfer is quickly starting to look insane. Not quite Torres, but 3 PL goals in well over 600 mins is simply not good enough.

Today he was useless but should still have scored two. You can’t run offside like that and how do you miss the goal from 5 yards out?

I couldn't agree more about Kovacic (one of the most ovverrated Chelsea playyers I've ever seen) and Lukaku!  We should have kept Tammy and saved the money for a class striker or a creative midfielder. Kovacic is nothing more than a bang average Everton level player! 

Edited by boratsbrother

chara   
6 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I expect Mendy got an arm around the shoulder or fist pump as others have said he did very well today when we were not at our best.

The old ..." sign of.... etc ...winning when not playing well....."

Two snapshots..Chalobah going forward and outmuscling..read the Bee bounced off..a Brentford defender,,,,and Werner in a push and run totally outpacing a defender...oh and the other "bounce" off RLC..I am a critic of Ruben but he "done well" until he tired...a good strong runner with the ball ideal for this game..... for all the comments Chelsea have gained two points more from Brentford away than the Scousers did at home...3 more than the Arse did there and 3 more than WHam at home AND the goals conceded in those games were 3,2 and 2..... so some perspective?...(which doesn't mean Chelsea were at their best but results are paramount.)

• Like 1

So:

Brentford were pretty good - are pretty good.
They played traditional Italian/Allardici football - that is they sat back for 60 mins, didn't change their approach on the goal only on the clock, and attacked us at a time where we were concentrating on finishing off the game.

They changed suddenly from a v deep block to 2 men covering both Werner and Lukaku - multo-Allardici.  Which should have meant some great counterattacking opportunities for us.  But none.

Our back 5 were excellent, won pretty much every challenge, and I don't think any of them were rounded all game (though none of the through balls Rudiger and Silva often manage).  Whatever Brentford did well, it was not through a single star player (no Zaha equivalent).

Our front 2 should have been served a lot better H1 given how much possession we had and how much time we had on the ball.

The ref helped us a lot.  A foul was given against Kante, which if a foul surely should have been a booking.  On numerous occasions he ignored Brentford dives - I bet Toney gets a lot more his way in most games.  And the Christensen penalty was avoided because of a clearly wrong offside call (given at a clearly wrong moment during the move).  
Thomas Frank might have blasted the ref - most managers would.  But I guess he wanted to highlight how good his team were rather than look for excuses.  

Which leaves our mid-field which frankly was appalling.  All 3 of them (4 with Mount).  Zero creativity with the ball.  Zero presence H2 without it.  Kovacic least bad - hardest working and did most with the ball.

At h/t I figured I was going to eat some humble pie over RLC.  He looked good.  He didn't actually create anything (Kovacic did more) but he looked like he might.  He turned into space a lot.  There were some rugged challenges.  At least there were quite a few rugged challenges by Brentford players on him, but he stood up to them - rugged shoulder to rugged chin.  For the first time I can remember he looked like a 6' player.  Of course he was yet to prove what he'd be like when we didn't have 75+% possession.  When that happened I don't think anyone noticed him.

We were much too deep without the ball.  Whether that was inexperience or fear I am not sure.  What I recall again and again is the ball being crossed in by players who were under no pressure at all when they crossed.  The received the ball, looked up, and crossed it in.  I don't think Azpi or Chilwell had that kind of opportunity to cross all game.

Jorginho (alternate is Kovacic) has to play at the back of midfield.  RLC is a special teams player.  This is not American football where you take off your QB at every turnover in case those big bullies start targeting him.  

Chilwell - got to feel sorry for Alonso - just as you think he has made the number 3 position his own and gets recalled to play 2 games for Spain -  Chilwell gets 2 goals in his first two league starts.

Top of the league - we got lucky.  Perhaps TT misjudged Brentford.  More likely he felt he had little choice.  Rudiger and Silva weren't ready to start.  I doubt he would have wanted to start Mount, Jorginho or James.  This is early in the season, the first of 7 games in 21 days, not the time nor the opponents to be risking players.  
He is giving RLC a run, and till 6 mins he still had not observed him play in a team with <65% possession.  (nor has anyone else, because I don't think he has ever played this deep before except for the Academy teams).  

Fortunately there should be plenty of improvements to be made to the team.  Except for Kante - I'm worried that a Kante fit enough to play 90 mins could look so off form.

BTW - anyone remember Hutchinson's long throws?  He did a h/t competition with John Hollins once at a testimonial.  Hollins almost reached the penalty area from the h/w line but Hutch's throw if I recall went into the goal first bounce.  Bonetti threw as far at Hutch - but he used a one-armed bowling action!
It was pretty clear that Hutch managed to consistently drop them on the far post because he was holding himself back.
Yet the Brentford throws which were barely reaching the box caused us all ends of problems.

Edited by Droy was my hero
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

That back 3 is going to make me nervous for 90 mins.

Well, they held up nicely for 70 odd minutes after which they gradually fell apart as they resorted to old school long ball/ lump the ball into the box tactics which didn’t favor Sarr, Trevor and even Christensen. Rudy and Silva would’ve dealt with those aerial balls without drama. Anyway, kudos to the boys for digging out and riding their luck to the 3pts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Good last season and gone up a level this season!

And yet he was written off by some before he’d saved his first shot for us,typical

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So:

Brentford were pretty good - are pretty good.
They played traditional Italian/Allardici football - that is they sat back for 60 mins, didn't change their approach on the goal only on the clock, and attacked us at a time where we were concentrating on finishing off the game.

They changed suddenly from a v deep block to 2 men covering both Werner and Lukaku - multo-Allardici.  Which should have meant some great counterattacking opportunities for us.  But none.

Our back 5 were excellent, won pretty much every challenge, and I don't think any of them were rounded all game (though none of the through balls Rudiger and Silva often manage).  Whatever Brentford did well, it was not through a single star player (no Zaha equivalent).

Our front 2 should have been served a lot better H1 given how much possession we had and how much time we had on the ball.

The ref helped us a lot.  A foul was given against Kante, which if a foul surely should have been a booking.  On numerous occasions he ignored Brentford dives - I bet Toney gets a lot more his way in most games.  And the Christensen penalty was avoided because of a clearly wrong offside call (given at a clearly wrong moment during the move).  
Thomas Frank might have blasted the ref - most managers would.  But I guess he wanted to highlight how good his team were rather than look for excuses.  

Which leaves our mid-field which frankly was appalling.  All 3 of them (4 with Mount).  Zero creativity with the ball.  Zero presence H2 without it.  Kovacic least bad - hardest working and did most with the ball.

At h/t I figured I was going to eat some humble pie over RLC.  He looked good.  He didn't actually create anything (Kovacic did more) but he looked like he might.  He turned into space a lot.  There were some rugged challenges.  At least there were quite a few rugged challenges by Brentford players on him, but he stood up to them - rugged shoulder to rugged chin.  For the first time I can remember he looked like a 6' player.  Of course he was yet to prove what he'd be like when we didn't have 75+% possession.  When that happened I don't think anyone noticed him.

We were much too deep without the ball.  Whether that was inexperience or fear I am not sure.  What I recall again and again is the ball being crossed in by players who were under no pressure at all when they crossed.  The received the ball, looked up, and crossed it in.  I don't think Azpi or Chilwell had that kind of opportunity to cross all game.

Jorginho (alternate is Kovacic) has to play at the back of midfield.  RLC is a special teams player.  This is not American football where you take off your QB at every turnover in case those big bullies start targeting him.  

Chilwell - got to feel sorry for Alonso - just as you think he has made the number 3 position his own and gets recalled to play 2 games for Spain -  Chilwell gets 2 goals in his first two league starts.

Top of the league - we got lucky.  Perhaps TT misjudged Brentford.  More likely he felt he had little choice.  Rudiger and Silva weren't ready to start.  I doubt he would have wanted to start Mount, Jorginho or James.  This is early in the season, the first of 7 games in 21 days, not the time nor the opponents to be risking players.  
He is giving RLC a run, and till 6 mins he still had not observed him play in a team with <65% possession.  (nor has anyone else, because I don't think he has ever played this deep before except for the Academy teams).  

Fortunately there should be plenty of improvements to be made to the team.  Except for Kante - I'm worried that a Kante fit enough to play 90 mins could look so off form.

BTW - anyone remember Hutchinson's long throws?  He did a h/t competition with John Hollins once at a testimonial.  Hollins almost reached the penalty area from the h/w line but Hutch's throw if I recall went into the goal first bounce.  Bonetti threw as far at Hutch - but he used a one-armed bowling action!
It was pretty clear that Hutch managed to consistently drop them on the far post because he was holding himself back.
Yet the Brentford throws which were barely reaching the box caused us all ends of problems.

Well that was hairy! First half I kind of accepted all the playing around at the back stuff because we were in control regardless of them hitting the post early on. When Werner missed that chance I thought oh no! I want him to score more than lukaku.when chilwell scored it was no more than we deserved, and you just knew they were gonna come back at us but even so we didn’t look like we wanted to get a second to kill off the game. I like the look of Starr and Trev, though both are Raw they stood up when things got tough. Can’t agree with you on kovacic though, his through ball attempts were cack and at this level at least 50 percent of them should find the target IMO. RLC dare I say it at times looked majestic,but as the game wore on he went awol. Kanye was off the boil and we suffered a bit for it in the last 20 especially and this sitting too deep thing we do at times luckily hasn’t cost us too much as yet. A hard three points but we’re top part the league. Btw are there still any folks out there that want that keeper from Athletico Madrid?