JaneB

Brentford 0 Chelsea 1

chara   

Droy....of course I remember Hutch and the long throws...absolute monster of a tactic...see OT as a good example....but he was more than that, someone who never gave up and was beloved by the faithful,,,if I'm not mistaken Sciatika has him on his avatar (?). 

As the dust settles I think many in the football world and on here..me for one....have been lulled into believing the media "Plucky Underdogs" starry eyed at playing with the big kids scenario as presented to us since last season's playoffs.....far from the truth....a tough side with a good keeper and no real "names" but getting good early results.

The Arsenal opening game added to the myth and it was pc to laud the gutsy new boys. I think Brentford will surprise a few more sides as the season progresses and it will be hard for most visitors to come away with three points there...compare with Watford and Norwich...both in trouble already....

Three points away from home anywhere is more than welcomed.......

Edited by chara

Blue Rod   

That was a tough match, and we made it even tougher with the quality of our final balls. 

For the first time TT nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with his subs. As poor as Lukaku was, Havertz was, perhaps  expectedly, 1/4 as good when he came on. Kovacic must have been spraying his final balls like a pest control tractor, but he did well to help contain Brentford in the middle. 

RLC impressed me a lot in the first half. Second half, he looked tired. He must find a way to still influence a match with reduced energy. Secondly, I loved his slalomimg and gliding past opponents, but would happily live with half of that for an end product.  

I just wish we could devote as much effort to the creative part of our game, that final ball, and runs for it, as we do to defending. When Brentford went all out in the final minutes, we should have made them pay for it. But I just cound not see who was going to hit that ball that sets up our striker 1 v 1 against their keeper and who was going to make the run. That was our problem, in a nutshell. 

Jasonb   

@chara

Yes winning and being top of the league without playing that well is strange, some say nice.

For me at this stage it is a little worrying though we all know players were being rested.

We also have that period where Mendy might be heading for the African Nations Cup meaning that Kepa might need to step in for a while.

13 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I couldn't agree more about Kovacic (one of the most ovverrated Chelsea playyers I've ever seen) and Lukaku!  We should have kept Tammy and saved the money for a class striker or a creative midfielder. Kovacic is nothing more than a bang average Everton level player! 

Maybe we can do a straight swap with Roma for Tammy/Lukaku

8 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

@chara

Yes winning and being top of the league without playing that well is strange, some say nice.

For me at this stage it is a little worrying though we all know players were being rested.

We also have that period where Mendy might be heading for the African Nations Cup meaning that Kepa might need to step in for a while.

The Kepa we've seen this season - when used - is a different, more confident and more commanding version of previous Kepas!

13 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

@chara

Liverpool will hurt far far more from that thankfully. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

RLC impressed me a lot in the first half. Second half, he looked tired. He must find a way to still influence a match with reduced energy. Secondly, I loved his slalomimg and gliding past opponents, but would happily live with half of that for an end product.  

A lot of given him this excuse.  The last 30 mins was probably the first time he has played as deep CM against a team with >50% possession.  I don't think he ever played this role for the first team before TT, or for Palace or Fulham, only for the Academy.

It was hugely important for TT to see that.
Saying "he was tired" is not enough. 

And you are right to highlight the lack of an end product.  In his 337 mins in all comps so far the only contribution to a goal or even a good chance that I recall was ironic.  The header from a corner from the near post that Werner put in far post against Southampton.  As Conte said long ago, he should have been a striker.

Slaloming.  Yes beating the first 3 men looks good - and people love the way Kovacic beats the first two men.  But the only opponents worth beating are those on the edge of the box who are trying to stop you advance further rather than trying to nick the ball off you cheaply.  Kovacic can't do that, RLC probably can.  But he needs to give himself a fair chance by starting in an AM position where beating the 2nd guy gives you a shot on goal.

1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

The Kepa we've seen this season - when used - is a different, more confident and more commanding version of previous Kepas!

Well he looked confident enough under Sarri.
One day I might dig out the actual numbers.  But it seems to me that the save ratio for all our goalkeepers (Cabs included) was better under Sarri than under Lampard, and better again under TT.  The system affects the way the keepers appear.  Under TT they probably face more shots because attacks fade out quicker so long distance pot shots replace cutbacks across the 6 yard box.

ROTG   

Good result against a one season wonder team

On the defensive side the both Chalobah and Sarr did well, with the game showing Christensen's achilles heal of him not being able to organise of lead a back 3 or back 5 when the heat is turned up

If the club are going to spend or loan in the Jan window, a creative midfielder who can pick a pass is essential, current squad all do a job however none including Jorghino are a Fabergas type player who can receive the ball a pass through an eye of a needle

Attacking line up seem to be 150m worth of talent not being played the same way as their previous clubs

That said - Still top of the shop, which is a positive, and hat off to Mendy for doing his job and keeping another clean sheet