JaneB

Brentford 0 Chelsea 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Agree with Floyd25 that Kante should have been playing deeper. But I think playing him in advanced position was a necessity. He retrieved and kept the ball in advanced position better than any other out there, and this was essential given who he had around him. 

I still think that Kante has a better pass attacking pass in him. His general passing range is not bad at all, and he has a good all round footballing brain. On several occasions when he passes sideways, he could just as accurately have passed it direct. Jorginho is not exactly hitting record assists, so I have to think there is more to the problem than skillset of individual players.

It seems that our number one is not to give the ball away. If that is the mindset then a lot of things follow. 

Yes , I fully understand why we play him so forward , he's great at stealing the ball and pressing , his passing is ok it's just in my opinion he hasn't got an "eye" for a pass.

There may well be some truth in the ball keeping mindset , time and again we see our midfield take the lower risk option when a quickly taken forward ball would reward far more .

It's no surprise to me that we only score from set pieces or defenders as the midfielders have no idea once we cross the halfway line .

Yesterday was always going to be a dangerous game for us following an international break and missing two really key defenders, so yea we got lucky in the last 20 minutes and but for Mendy we may have lost this one, but we didn't and the three points was all that mattered in the end.

The missing piece of this team is as everyone has mentioned is the lack of a creative midfielder that can score goals as well as create them, I am fed up seeing Kante and Kovacic always in a position to have the best chance to shoot, only for their lack of technique to let them down. I was hoping Mount would be the answer, but for all his talent and work rate he doesn't shoot enough or score enough goals, that of course could still yet happen. The answer of course are the players we already have, Ziyech, Havertz and Pulisic, all of which have the creative skills to make a big difference, but they are either injured or not living up to the potential we know they have.

Still, top of the table and we can only get better.

Edited by Phoenix Blue

Never thought I'd be cheering Spurs on against Newcastle.  Away the lads - and into the Championship.

47 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

1.  RLC was the deepest lying midfield player and was also our only attack minded option in midfield .

2.  It's pointless talking about it with you though as like Mendy and Kovacic and Matic beforehand you made your mind up about them on day one and are resolutely sticking to your entrenched opinions regardless.

3.  And Toney was offside . Choosing the unpopular opinion for controversy once again.

1.  Well quite - you don't see the problem?  

2.  Mendy?  No just the opposite.  he keeps going up in my opinion.  In fact I was probably the only person who had not made their mind up about him before he played for us.
Kovacic - funny that - because I seem to be consensus now - hard worker can't create is all I read.  Matic - thankyou - but actually I did take a few months to work him out.

3.  No - he was not offside.  Just watching the game - it was quite clear he was onside from the first replay.

27 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

WBA say hi!

Scoreline sure.  2-5 loss vs 1-0 win.
But we had Silva sent off on 29 mins and more shots on and off target.
xG was 2.56 - 1.38 in our favour.  yesterday was 1.62 - 0.25 in favour of Brentford.

Happy to put WBA game down to luck and the perils of chasing from behind when a man down.  We showed a lot of spirit and created a ton of chances.
Yesterday's game was all about being very very lucky indeed.

Kova is 27. Jorgi 29. Kante 30.  They are never going to become players that create or score enough goals, so we either move a couple of them on or bizzarely stick with them knowing they do not work.  Into our 4th season with them and we still  look miles off City and Liverpool in terms of flair and goal threat. 

48 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

RLC was the deepest lying midfield player and was also our only attack minded option in midfield .

It's pointless talking about it with you though as like Mendy and Kovacic and Matic beforehand you made your mind up about them on day one and are resolutely sticking to your entrenched opinions regardless.

And Toney was offside . Choosing the unpopular opinion for controversy once again.

RLC was asked to play a deeper role today and he did that extremely well. If asked he can play a more advanced role or even out on the right. He had a bad Achilles injury at a crucial time in his career but may yet prove to be a crucial cog in Chelsea wheel ( and always nice to see an English Chelsea product in the first team). He won't play every game but height and power is what we lack in midfield. 

As for Mendy. What a pity Lampard and Sarri before him didn't have this player for their full season. He would probably have meant an extra 10 points a season. I wouldn't swop for any other keeper in the league right now. 

I think you asked the question " how did this team win the CL". It is hard to believe when you see the pressure newbies to PL,  Brentford put us under. We have a great defence with many options. We have a great keeper and we have a lot of luck too. But if we put a Hazard or Fabragas in their pomp in this team then we could be unstoppable. 

I'm finding it hard to judge us right now but top always looks good. 

Rob B   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

For me the issue was playing 2 up front and not a 3rd AM nor a No8 CM/AM role either.  We have gone from 2 10s to 2 9s, an extra CM and no 10s at all.

This.  I’m not mad on a 3-5-2 formation at the best of times, but if you play that way, you absolutely have to include at least one attacking midfielder  (Not Kovacic or Kante) and wing-backs who stay high.  Love Dave but he offered nothing yesterday.

Instead we had 3 CB’s,  RLC at number 6, Kovacic and Kante who are traditional 6/8s, and two full backs playing at wing back.  So only two truly attacking players out of 11.  Incredibly pessimistic stuff.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Great day out at the new Brentford stadium. First time I've ever seen us pay them so loved it.

Must be one of the few that takes a lot of positives from that game, average performance but a very good result.

Just to let people know, as I'm sure some are not aware with all the moaning. After an incredibly difficult start to the season we are actually, believe it or not, top of the league with a very kind run of fixtures coming up.

The kinder the fixture the more problem we seem to have. I’m not sure weaker opposition is something that plays out well for us. Seems to be the games where we struggle the most based on last season at least. 

Probably because the opposition is happy to sit back and close down space. Once that happens out attacking combinations simply aren’t good enough. I also worry a lot for Lukaku. So far he hasn’t been able to impose himself bar maybe 2-3 games. Arsenal very good, Villa good. Is there another game where he’s even been half decent? Yesterday he was downright awful. 

23 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

2.  Mendy?  No just the opposite.  he keeps going up in my opinion.  In fact I was probably the only person who had not made their mind up about him before he played for us.
Kovacic - funny that - because I seem to be consensus now - hard worker can't create is all I read.  Matic - thankyou - but actually I did take a few months to work him out.

Get out of here. You said he was a GK2 when he was signed and even predicted Kepa would win back his place before long… You were probably one of a very small group of people who had made their mind up about him. I should know better than to start this with you, but let’s try to be honest here. You are making up a story here that’s not accurate. 

• Like 1

Bison   
20 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Kova is 27. Jorgi 29. Kante 30.  They are never going to become players that create or score enough goals, so we either move a couple of them on or bizzarely stick with them knowing they do not work.  Into our 4th season with them and we still  look miles off City and Liverpool in terms of flair and goal threat. 

But not for the reason you mentioned. This isn't a Kante, Kovacic or Jorginho problem. 

Take Liverpool for example. They have Mane and Salah who have both scored 100+ Premier League goals. Firminho doesn't score as many as them but still has a whopping 70 goals & 43 assists in the league. I don't see Liverpool fans complaining too often about the lack of goals  they get from their central midfielders.

We have a collection of forwards who don't score or create enough goals. That's the truth. People can moan about the CM as much as they want but our problems are because of the lack of goalscoring and creative ability in the forward line. Of course we don't have the same flair or goal threat as those two teams...not a single one of our attackers make their starting 11.

Edited by Bison

Bison   

I would bet any money that if Kante played for Liverpool not a single one of their fans would ever mention his lack of goals or assists. They would appreciate him for the world class talent he is.

When he plays with the likes of Benzema, Mbappe etc nobody demands he scores goals. But when he plays with Werner, Havertz etc everybody wants him to turn into Frank Lampard. Funny that.