JaneB

Brentford 0 Chelsea 1

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

This is a bit odd - because the theme of my last few posts is that everyone seems to be making the same point and agreeing with each other.  Fortunately we have Bob to provide some grit to the oyster.

You're no oyster... more of a whelk! 😉

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

They weren't unfortunate Mendy saved everything they got on target. 

Mendy wouldn't have got near either shot that hit the post, and I'm pretty sure his best save at the best was only pushed onto the woodwork.
And don't forget the early and wrong offside call that prevented them from getting a penalty from Chalobah.

They created a stack of chances, perhaps their finishing was off a little, and perhaps we were lucky our best chance fell to a man in form.

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

You're no oyster... more of a whelk! 😉

Was that deserving of a smiley face?  Not funny, not good humoured, just sour.
3 or 4 people agreeing with each other and you have to single out one as being different.  Try getting beyond the posters' name.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Mendy wouldn't have got near either shot that hit the post, and I'm pretty sure his best save at the best was only pushed onto the woodwork.
And don't forget the early and wrong offside call that prevented them from getting a penalty from Chalobah.

I suppose saying they didn't attack until late on was an unfair exaggeration, but my point stands; does anyone think they'd have been playing like they had nothing to lose at the end if they did have something to lose?

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I suppose saying they didn't attack until late on was an unfair exaggeration, but my point stands; does anyone think they'd have been playing like they had nothing to lose at the end if they did have something to lose?

Well yes, they left 2 at the back to cover our two strikers.  So I'm not so bothered about how we defended as how we failed to create a chance when they were vulnerable to a counter attack.

ROTG   
16 hours ago, chara said:

Chelsea had a back three of young players...even AC

With 130 appearances and 25 year old, AC is no youngster, just a poor in leading and organising a back line.

Malmo would be an idea game to see if Chalobha and Sarr performance improves with Silva in the middle of the 2

paulw66   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He wouldn't have got near either shot that hit the post............if.............they had crept inside the post? You could say that about every shot ever. If you shoot for the very corner, you take that risk that if you're slightly inaccurate, you miss the target., and I don't recall any save being pushed onto the woodwork.

I don't recall this penalty incident either.....surely VAR would have intervened?

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He wouldn't have got near either shot that hit the post............if.............they had crept inside the post? You could say that about every shot ever. If you shoot for the very corner, you take that risk that if you're slightly inaccurate, you miss the target., and I don't recall any save being pushed onto the woodwork.

Well if you take the view that the difference between hitting the post and it going in or out is pure skill and ability of the striker and zero % luck, you are right.
I don't.

18 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't recall this penalty incident either.....surely VAR would have intervened?

TV brushed it over.  They did discuss whether it was a pen - but dropped it when they saw the offside call.  They showed a replay but didn't comment on if the offside was right.
VAR didn't get involved because it wasn't able to (or just didn't) challenge the offside decision since the lino flagged real time and the ref blew up immediately.

But yes, surely VAR SHOULD HAVE intervened.

It was one of those decisions we get mad over on here because  the TV ignore it.

VA96   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well if you take the view that the difference between hitting the post and it going in or out is pure skill and ability of the striker and zero % luck, you are right.
I don't.

TV brushed it over.  They did discuss whether it was a pen - but dropped it when they saw the offside call.  They showed a replay but didn't comment on if the offside was right.
VAR didn't get involved because it wasn't able to (or just didn't) challenge the offside decision since the lino flagged real time and the ref blew up immediately.

But yes, surely VAR SHOULD HAVE intervened.

It was one of those decisions we get mad over on here because  the TV ignore it.

Taylor waved it off even before the offside flag went up — and even though Toney was onside, VAR deemed there to be no clear error on Taylor’s call. 

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't.

Not quite........I mean if you aim for the corner, there is a risk it hits the post if you get it slightly wrong. 

If you aren't so precise, there is the risk the GK saves it. When you have a 6"6 GK with an enormous reach, you put the strikers under pressure to go for the corner, which carries a risk

23 minutes ago, VA96 said:

Taylor waved it off even before the offside flag went up — and even though Toney was onside, VAR deemed there to be no clear error on Taylor’s call. 

Thanks for that - but IMO VAR just got it wrong - it was a clear penalty to me.  Clear and obvious error by both ref and VAR.

Classic case btw of a manager choosing between blaming the ref to cover up the fact that his team played badly and ignoring the ref's error to concentrate on just how well his team had played.  Frank made the right call.

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Not quite........I mean if you aim for the corner, there is a risk it hits the post if you get it slightly wrong. 

If you aren't so precise, there is the risk the GK saves it. When you have a 6"6 GK with an enormous reach, you put the strikers under pressure to go for the corner, which carries a risk

From the distances they were shooting there was a massive gap between keeper and post.  
Point is, if we had played well those chances just wouldn't have been there.  And if you put them down to poor strikers rather than luck, I guess it is still lucky we were playing Brentford on a bad day, not someone better.