JaneB

Chelsea 4 Malmo FF 0

Nice to have a match like that, where it’s just our boys getting the job done, so often I’ve watched CL matches like this, where we somehow make it so much harder than it needs to be.

The injuries are a concern though, I’m hoping the Lukaku one was just a twist and his recovery time will be short, him walking off the pitch unaided was a good sign. Werner I’m less hopeful as it seems to be a muscle injury, so will depend on the extent of the damage.

Fortunately we’re through the harder run of fixtures, but we do now need Havertz and Mount to properly step up and CHO may get himself a few of starts… Ziyech can stay on the bench.

ROTG   

Great result against a Championship side

I noticed Darke was quick to inform the audience this was only the second game under TT where the team scored more than 3 goals

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's not being spoiled Paul , it's being bored .

I actually think it's more of a jaded feeling with football in general. 

I'm sick and tired of the sniping at clubs by supporters of other clubs , managers being abused by disgruntled supporters , managers whining whenever anything isn't exactly right for them , the way the media reports football stories in this country , websites which instead of reporting the football have an agenda where club a can do no wrong and club b can do no right  , endless international breaks , referees managing games instead of officiating them  , the same talking heads giving the same entrenched opinions.

I expect I will watch though all the same .

Let's see if it's not the same handful of players carrying the club .

Then moan at those things, and not at your team, the reigning European champions and table toppers! 

• Like 1

paulw66   
1 hour ago, FREEBOOT-RIGHTZ said:

Great result against a Championship side

I noticed Darke was quick to inform the audience this was only the second game under TT where the team scored more than 3 goals

The downside to a game like last night is that it breathes life to those who want an ESL. 

The gap in quality was absurd. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Then moan at those things, and not at your team, the reigning European champions and table toppers! 

Thankyou Harold MacMillan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

The downside to a game like last night is that it breathes life to those who want an ESL. 

The only problem with this argument is that wouldn't it eventually lead to another gap, so then you end up with say someone like Arsenal or Tottenham becoming the Malmo of the ESL?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well I want an ESL, but I still think Malmo weren't that useless, just that we monstered them all over the park.  (Well I say all over, I mean all over their half which is where the game was played).

For me the downside is that teams will just write it off as Malmo being useless and ignore the impact of Jorginho last night.

BTW I thought we should have had 4 clear pens last night.

Holymoly   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well I want an ESL, but I still think Malmo weren't that useless, just that we monstered them all over the park.  (Well I say all over, I mean all over their half which is where the game was played).

For me the downside is that teams will just write it off as Malmo being useless and ignore the impact of Jorginho last night.

Blah, blah, blah ESL.

Blah, blah, blah Jorginho.

I come back after a few weeks away and it seems nothing's changed. In one way I suppose it's reassuring.

3 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

The only problem with this argument is that wouldn't it eventually lead to another gap, so then you end up with say someone like Arsenal or Tottenham becoming the Malmo of the ESL?

Don't see a problem with that! 😁

But seriously the CL needs looking at and I can see the thought process behind the ESL. I mean are the likes of Malmo ever going to get past the group stages let alone win the tournament? No never. But with a knockout comp like the FA cup , anyone can win it.

We have lost two expensive players in a pointless game. Next week could have been Liverpool or City. Sometimes we travel to the arse end of no where to play a bunch of semi pro's. Great for them and something to tell the grandkids about, but as a big club like us its tedious and costly against poor tackles on poor pitches.

I don't know what the answer is but here's a suggestion of top of my head.

We basically have one European competition and that is the CL but its initially smaller.  The EL is effectively a straight fight for 4 teams to win a place in CL knockout stage. That gives those 4 teams a decent shot at winning CL and some serious revenue. Those qualifying teams could be teams like Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester. And there's nothing to stop those 4 teams being drawn against each other in knockout games. If they do an EL team could suddenly find itself in the quarters of the CL, but good for them. In fact a team like Brentford could find itself in the knockout stages of CL. This is good IMO. This is romantic stuff like Wimbledon or Sunderland winning the FA cup. 

Its only an idea but we need blue sky thinking on this. 

• Like 1