JaneB

Chelsea 4 Malmo FF 0

paulw66   
53 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When Rudiger and Azpi play LCB and RCB they push much further up and become CM's almost in response to how far the oppo front line back off. The paper formation adapts to the oppo.
I got the feeling Sarr and Chalobah were shy of doing that and/or Christensen wasn't ordering them up.  So the return of any of Rudiger, Azpi or Silva into the back 3 should help.

We also missed the quality of distribution at the back.........ignoring the pure defensive attributes, you stick Silva and Rudiger back in the team and the transition from defense to attack improves. Stick Rudiger, Silva and Jorginho back in, and it's light years difference. 

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

I reckon Saul should start this one. The premiership seems too much for him at the minute but a European game should suit him better. 

Meant to say earlier - Sarr looked rubbish pre-season but he came in and did a competent job.
So maybe Saul will look a lot better now too.

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

We also missed the quality of distribution at the back.........ignoring the pure defensive attributes, you stick Silva and Rudiger back in the team and the transition from defense to attack improves. Stick Rudiger, Silva and Jorginho back in, and it's light years difference. 

Indeed

asvaberg   

Mendy

Chalobah - Christ - Rüdiger

Azpi                                     Chilwell

Kante - Jorginho - Mount

Werner - Lukaku

DannyLB   
12 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Mendy

Chalobah - Christ - Rüdiger

Azpi                                     Chilwell

Kante - Jorginho - Mount

Werner - Lukaku

Lukaku needs a rest. Surely we can get a result without him here. 

• Like 1

chara   
1 hour ago, DannyLB said:

Lukaku needs a rest. Surely we can get a result without him here. 

WE need a rest from Lukaku!.... but I think TT will start him....be interesting to see his starters for this game...I keep getting the feeling he is basically trying out players in different combinations and we just happen to top the table at this time.

Is there a long haul strategy simmering rather than a strike for glory one season at a time?

16 hours ago, chara said:

WE need a rest from Lukaku!.... but I think TT will start him....be interesting to see his starters for this game...I keep getting the feeling he is basically trying out players in different combinations and we just happen to top the table at this time.

Is there a long haul strategy simmering rather than a strike for glory one season at a time?

We need our attacking players to re-find some form, to be honest. Werner seems to be finding some form again, at least when in an international shirt, but we need Mount to get firing again as well as Havertz and Ziyech hopefully showing the ability many believed they had before arriving here, but without any of them truly firing at the moment, it becomes very difficult to settle on a team.

Personally, i'd like to see Mount, Lukaku and Werner get a run of games together, to allow them to build up an understanding, that mix feels like the most effective to me.

As daft as it sounds I may not bother with this one , another meaningless group game that in all likelihood will pan out exactly like the raft of pointless England games where we are insanely poor in midfield and attack and spend 90% of the game keeping possession for no apparent reason because keeping the ball is what has been drilled into the players whilst the flair or skill is drilled out . I'm sure I'll weaken but...