JaneB

Chelsea 7 Norwich City 0

8 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

As for CHO himself... he always looks so much better playing high up on the left than at right wing-back or right 'winger'

Funny that .

Especially when Tuchel actually said that when he's played out of position (which lets face it is almost always) he needs to "take one for the team".

14 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Agree with this. Much as I love Tuchel for what he's achieved so far for us, I am sometimes bemused, sometimes disappointed by his comments... especially when he suggests some players need to work harder in training. Certainly tell the player face-to-face, but don't put it out to the public; especially not in this day and age of keyboard warriors on social media.

As for CHO himself... he always looks so much better playing high up on the left than at right wing-back or right 'winger'

Is he not telling CHO this face to face?  Or is he communicating with the CHO hangers on via TV?

Moreover - Hudson had 30 good minutes against Malmo and TT said he needs more good games.  (But that lead to fanzine negative comments about TT being unfair on CHO).
After yesterdays good 60 mins, some praise was due.

This is what  he said:
https://www.90min.com/posts/chelsea-news-thomas-tuchel-reacts-callum-hudson-odoi-performance-norwich

Thomas Tuchel has heaped praise on Callum Hudson-Odoi for rising to the challenge set by his boss in Chelsea's 7-0 mauling of Norwich on Saturday.

In the build-up to the game, when injuries to Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner made it apparent that Hudson-Odoi was set for an extended run in the team, Tuchel challenged the young winger to put together a run of consistent performances.

The first phase of Hudson-Odoi's resurgence is complete as the 20-year-old found the back of the net and forced an own goal from Max Aarons as well, after which Tuchel was impressed.

"He had a good game," Tuchel said (via football.london). "He played well against Malmo and had a good game today but there are still things to improve and to work on.

"Now it is on him. It is like I said before the game, he needs to show that he is able to produce performances like this consistently and now is the time to show. Next opportunity will be Tuesday."

I think TT's comments are fine unless you take them out of sequence with the games.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Funny that .

Especially when Tuchel actually said that when he's played out of position (which lets face it is almost always) he needs to "take one for the team".

Well that is pretty much an exact description of how football works for players at the edge of the first team.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well that is pretty much an exact description of how football works for players at the edge of the first team.

How do you think. , saviour of Sarri , Eden Hazard would do as a right sided wing back? 

Or Mo Salah ?

Or Timo Werner?

Not very well would be my guess , just like CHO.

Give him a run of games in his favoured position and then see how he does .

7 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Chilwell playing a free role from LB is consistently entertaining, probably my favourite thing about this season so far.

I agree with this. Like watching Daniel Alves in his pomp. He can be a tremendous weapon for us if he keeps it up. 

But Chilly won’t win us the league. It seems to me that we are living on a knife edge when you look at the ratio and quality of chances created and conceded atm. People talk about Lukaku not delivering but we can win the league if Lukaku plays like he has played so far. A quality player. But I can’t see us winning the league unless all our other attacking players step up. 

• Like 1

Blue Rod   
12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think you are hanging on to some old ideas about CHO.  He really has not met his reputation for years except for the odd hour here or there.  His last hour and the previous 30 mins have been top notch and pretty much everyone on here has said so.  It is good to see, but lets not pretend we have seen it often.

(Why the Havertz and Werner bashing.  There is a big gap between CHO's performances and their prices.  They have been performing somewhere in the middle.  There is no favouritism going on).

I don't mind having old ideas, Droy. It may be called consistency. To me, CHO didn't do anything different yesterday. He just had the pace, the space, and the ball. If you give him those three, 9 out of 10 times he'd produce the same result. If you set up the wrong way, from an attacking perspective, then all forwards struggle. That is why, in those matches where CHO didn't create something, no other forwards did.

Strange of you to suggest that I am bashing Havertz and Werner. I was only saying that Tuchel should treat his players the same. I'm not afraid to say that on average, the Germans have underperformed CHO. Call that bashing, if you want

Anyway, whatever Tuchel (or you) thinks of CHO's performance or Havertz or Werner, is not really the point. We are living in the age of social media where idiots,  hiding under online anonymity, are looking for something to latch on to. CHO is  young Black player with all the vulnerability that comes with it.

All it takes is one very poor result in which CHO features and you have online abuse raining on the young player. It could not be blamed on TT, but his constant suggestion that he is not working hard enough (which I personally don't agree with anyway) would not have helped. 

I have nothing against TT. I feel strongly that this approach is wrong. I am feeling more and more uncomfortable with it. It almost looks as if he's enjoying it. He should cool it right now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I don't mind having old ideas, Droy. It may be called consistency. To me, CHO didn't do anything different yesterday. He just had the pace, the space, and the ball. If you give him those three, 9 out of 10 times he'd produce the same result. If you set up the wrong way, from an attacking perspective, then all forwards struggle. That is why, in those matches where CHO didn't create something, no other forwards did.

Strange of you to suggest that I am bashing Havertz and Werner. I was only saying that Tuchel should treat his players the same. I'm not afraid to say that on average, the Germans have underperformed CHO. Call that bashing, if you want

Anyway, whatever Tuchel (or you) thinks of CHO's performance or Havertz or Werner, is not really the point. We are living in the age of social media where idiots,  hiding under online anonymity, are looking for something to latch on to. CHO is  young Black player with all the vulnerability that comes with it.

All it takes is one very poor result in which CHO features and you have online abuse raining on the young player. It could not be blamed on TT, but his constant suggestion that he is not working hard enough (which I personally don't agree with anyway) would not have helped. 

I have nothing against TT. I feel strongly that this approach is wrong. I am feeling more and more uncomfortable with it. It almost looks as if he's enjoying it. He should cool it right now. 

Well put. 

TT's constant public negation of CHO will end up having the same impact that Jose's constant negation of RLC had. No matter the talent, performance, effort that RLC puts there seems to be a constant question mark on his effort as jose once said so. 

11 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

No I'd call it plain wrong.  So would their international managers.

12 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I think you need to match actual quotes to dates.  TT seems to have been full of praise after Norwich.  So was I.  
So much of what media print about manager quotes is out of context.  I'm sure the players get given verbatim versions of what TT said by the PR team.  I can't see that TT has said anything wrong at all.

17 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

What approach?  If you mean having Wednesday's words quoted as if they were from Saturday, you can't blame TT (or the established media in this case) for that.
I think you have been sucked into a fake story here.  Which I dare say was the purpose.

30 mins good "that was a good 30 mins now we need more"
60 mins good "that was an excellent 60 mins, you are playing Tuesday".

5 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Well put. 

TT's constant public negation of CHO will end up having the same impact that Jose's constant negation of RLC had. No matter the talent, performance, effort that RLC puts there seems to be a constant question mark on his effort as jose once said so. 

Oh FFS.  RLC just put in half hearted performance after half hearted performance,  at a time when JM was kicking out dozens of players in their teens, mid 20s and 30s.  
6 years on we know he was never near the child progidy that people claimed.  If you want a poster boy for why managers can't just play kids for experience RLC is that Poster (and we won 2 titles in the period RLC and others were wasting the clubs time.
So many obsessed with their personal favourite and that evil manager that dumped so many players (Lampard, KdB, Ashley Cole, mata, Luiz it is a very very long list) while promoting so many other young players (Azpi, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, Matic, Courtois).  Brought back Didier Drogba too!  Football is brutal.  End of.

3 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Manure already losing 2-0 🤦‍♂️

For as good as our weekend has been, City and Liverpool both replied very well I must admit. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Oh FFS.  RLC just put in half hearted performance after half hearted performance,  at a time when JM was kicking out dozens of players in their teens, mid 20s and 30s.  
6 years on we know he was never near the child progidy that people claimed.  If you want a poster boy for why managers can't just play kids for experience RLC is that Poster (and we won 2 titles in the period RLC and others were wasting the clubs time.
So many obsessed with their personal favourite and that evil manager that dumped so many players (Lampard, KdB, Ashley Cole, mata, Luiz it is a very very long list) while promoting so many other young players (Azpi, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, Matic, Courtois).  Brought back Didier Drogba too!  Football is brutal.  End of.

😂

6 years on Rlc is still with the champions of Europe. Where is jose? Getting his beaten by bodo/glint 6-1.

6 years on, salah is the best forward in the world, kdb is the best mid in the world. Those are some of the talents jose let go off. 

Jose would not know a young talent like messi if he was standing in front of him and scoring hattricks in every game. All he would see is, 'not tall enough', "will he track back?". I respect jose, but he was a dinosaur who cost us some of the best talents and the development of some best talents. We gained 1 PL at the cost of literally forming a dynasty with some of the best talents in the world, all because of one man.

Edited by didierforever
  • Like 1