JaneB

Chelsea 1 Southampton 1 (4 - 3 on penalties)

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

From the post match presser

“Unfortunately yesterday we lost Azpi with an injury, Andreas told us he could not play because he had tooth surgery and then Ruben. We missed three players that maybe would have started. I liked the energy today, it was a good game."

Didn't know you play football with your teeth, unless of course your names Suarez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ROTG   

some seem to forget it was 1-1 in PL when it was 11 vs 11

What tonight proved there are members of the squad who will be gone in the Jan window or next summer.

CHO is a front line player and is wasted in the WB position

Saul seems to be a board loanee and will probably be around until the summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I just don't get it with Barkley and Ziyech. They had nice cameos against Norwich. Here's their chance to put on a show and try and push their way into the PL first XI and they squander it. 

Barkley has the all the technical ability needed to be a real quality player for us. Such a shame he's lacking  in the mental side of the game. The Premier League is just too quick and physical for Ziyech. Defo get rid of asp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
23 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Any news on what RLC injury is? Hope its just a minor niggle and nothing to do with his heel.

A hip injury but he's expected to be ok for the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Havertz in a Championship match is how I'd describe the first 60 mins.  A Championship match without Havertz for the rest.  It was very much I imagine like watching the young Osgood in Div 2.  Yes the game was exciting (for Southampton fans) but not for fans of TT's well-organised low risk just enough dominant controlled football.

For Ralph Hasenhüttl this was exactly the kind of game that suggests a change in recent results and a move away from his end of the table.
For Thomas Tuchel this was exactly the same kind of game.  It worried me, much like the Brentford game was very worrying.

16 fouls I understand in first 32 mins, and another 16 in the last 60 mins.  Southampton's press (and our response) calmed down after about 25 mins, but they did up their game again at various points of H2.

Imagine if either team had exchanged their keeper off 2 mins into injury time.  It would have been 2-3 without pens.

Hypocrit that I am I pirated a BeIn broadcast for this game.  I should never be accepted as a Football Club owner.

I like to think TT is using current games to work out which members or the squad he can turn to when necessary and which he can junk by January.  If so he has learn a hell of a lot in the last 4 games while winning all 4.  

Of the players promoted today, Kepa Chalobah, Sarr and Saul all supported their position in the squad while doing nothing to challenge the existing pecking order.  Saul looked useable for the first time, Sarr looked a more all round player than against Brentford.
CHO did not follow up on his last 2 fine performances.  Ziyech showed patches of class few others can match.  Barkley again showed he is isn't a 6 or a 10 or an 8.  He looks good as long as you don't expect him to fulfill a role while looking good.

Kovacic was the real disappointment.  At least in the playmaker role.  I know it is Jorginho, Rudiger and Silva together that make it work, but without all 3 someone has to step up.  Otherwise we get games like today where we are in no more control of the game than say Southampton with half a dozen players out.
We got the goal with a fine ball from Saul through to Alonso whose cross lead to a corner and the Havertz header.
Yet how did Saul get the ball?  Anyone remember?  Kovacic went round in circles on the edge of our box beating 4 players before turning into a 5th who part controlled it and then kicked it away to the watching Saul.  It was suicide football - you can't play that kind of football there.  ironic and very very lucky. 
Overall Kova is a worker and this season has started running head up so he sees stuff.  But once he starts dribbling head goes down and he becomes an accident waiting to happen.  Needs Jorginho behind him.
It is unfair to say Kovacic was bad.  It is fair to say we are not the same team without Jorginho - not by a long long chalk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Havertz in a Championship match is how I'd describe the first 60 mins.  A Championship match without Havertz for the rest.  It was very much I imagine like watching the young Osgood in Div 2.  Yes the game was exciting (for Southampton fans) but not for fans of TT's well-organised low risk just enough dominant controlled football.

For Ralph Hasenhüttl this was exactly the kind of game that suggests a change in recent results and a move away from his end of the table.
For Thomas Tuchel this was exactly the same kind of game.  It worried me, much like the Brentford game was very worrying.

16 fouls I understand in first 32 mins, and another 16 in the last 60 mins.  Southampton's press (and our response) calmed down after about 25 mins, but they did up their game again at various points of H2.

Imagine if either team had exchanged their keeper off 2 mins into injury time.  It would have been 2-3 without pens.

Hypocrit that I am I pirated a BeIn broadcast for this game.  I should never be accepted as a Football Club owner.

I like to think TT is using current games to work out which members or the squad he can turn to when necessary and which he can junk by January.  If so he has learn a hell of a lot in the last 4 games while winning all 4.  

Of the players promoted today, Kepa Chalobah, Sarr and Saul all supported their position in the squad while doing nothing to challenge the existing pecking order.  Saul looked useable for the first time, Sarr looked a more all round player than against Brentford.
CHO did not follow up on his last 2 fine performances.  Ziyech showed patches of class few others can match.  Barkley again showed he is isn't a 6 or a 10 or an 8.  He looks good as long as you don't expect him to fulfill a role while looking good.

Kovacic was the real disappointment.  At least in the playmaker role.  I know it is Jorginho, Rudiger and Silva together that make it work, but without all 3 someone has to step up.  Otherwise we get games like today where we are in no more control of the game than say Southampton with half a dozen players out.
We got the goal with a fine ball from Saul through to Alonso whose cross lead to a corner and the Havertz header.
Yet how did Saul get the ball?  Anyone remember?  Kovacic went round in circles on the edge of our box beating 4 players before turning into a 5th who part controlled it and then kicked it away to the watching Saul.  It was suicide football - you can't play that kind of football there.  ironic and very very lucky. 
Overall Kova is a worker and this season has started running head up so he sees stuff.  But once he starts dribbling head goes down and he becomes an accident waiting to happen.  Needs Jorginho behind him.
It is unfair to say Kovacic was bad.  It is fair to say we are not the same team without Jorginho - not by a long long chalk.  

To cut your long story short, it's all the players' fault. Nothing in your analysis about the fact that TT has played this unimaginative system using different players against different teams and ended up with similar performance,  problems, and even results.

One example; the system of deploying your attacking players in WB stiffles your transition. That is why we struggle to get numbers up quickly enough after we've won the ball. It's a self-inflicted problem albeit one with its own advantages. It's easily exploited by average teams and decent managers.

We didn't have 5 Kovacic's and 5 CHO's out there last night. We had 10 outfield players who were struggling in the same formation that our other players have found hard to create something with. 

At Chelsea we've been fortunate to see more football and more managers than most other clubs. We are getting close to a classic situation where the manager must come up with modifications to a system that worked but has now been debunked by opponents - a second season syndrome, in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   

Who cares what the performance was with such a makeshift side? The result is the only thing that matters. Players' performances bounce of those around them, and if they've never played together before it's not surprising if it was a bit disjointed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
7 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

We are getting close to a classic situation where the manager must come up with modifications to a system that worked but has now been debunked by opponents - a second season syndrome, in my opinion. 

I know it's shocking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Who cares what the performance was with such a makeshift side? The result is the only thing that matters. Players' performances bounce of those around them, and if they've never played together before it's not surprising if it was a bit disjointed.

Of course. It is very difficult when you make 8 changes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now