chara

Watching Chelsea Viewpoints..changed?

Ham   

Some excellent posts here 👍

Edited by Ham

I started in the seventies with my Grandad , then he stopped going and my mum banned me from going due to the hooligan elements.

We then moved away so it was an occasional treat(or not in the lean years, lol) saw a bit more of us in the Zola years  and now years later it's TV only really .

JaneB   

Wasn't sure where to post this and should have done it yesterday. 

25 years ago and magic sexy football with these two greats.

I still miss those days. 

ruud and franco.jpg

Diddymen   
1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Wasn't sure where to post this and should have done it yesterday. 

25 years ago and magic sexy football with these two greats.

I still miss those days. 

ruud and franco.jpg

Great player(s).

I went to see Zola's first match against Newcastle at the Bridge and he rang rings around David Batty

JaneB   
5 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Great player(s).

I went to see Zola's first match against Newcastle at the Bridge and he rang rings around David Batty

I saw him score a fabulous free kick against Everton when he first came here and I thought "Uh oh"

4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

The lob on Zola's last goal against Everton says it all for me.

Just re-watched it.  Fabulous.

His debut was actually at Ewood Park. Remember not really knowing what to expect but when he came on you knew straight away this going to be something we’d probably not seen before (fans who saw Charlie Cooke might disagree?). He brought the sun out on an otherwise damp night in Blackburn. Remains in my top 5 Chels players ever since.

• Like 1

chara   
1 hour ago, BalhamBoy said:

His debut was actually at Ewood Park. Remember not really knowing what to expect but when he came on you knew straight away this going to be something we’d probably not seen before (fans who saw Charlie Cooke might disagree?). He brought the sun out on an otherwise damp night in Blackburn. Remains in my top 5 Chels players ever since.

Unfortunately missed the best of Zola but saw enough to be at one with all who speak of him....Charlie Cooke?.....the viewpoint thing....I no longer compare players in a "he was better/worse" etc....Cookie was as great a Chelsea icon as Zola and as beloved by the SB faithful..Rolls or a Bentley?..which is better?.....The Greats of any time were/are just that....watching Silva grace SB even at such a veteran age is another of those wonderful Chelsea experiences that I have been blessed to watch over the years...and I don't forget the less illuminating times and players!...

For all the changes I still am in the Sciatika camp...a bad result still gets me ignoring the media and comments for days... doesn't affect my Real World but my inner Chelsea World is as ever rocked for good or bad depending on results..and may that never change....to misquote.." I have learned to live with the good times and the bad".

Another viewpoint thing...when the so called International Break was mooted and implemented it struck me as a very good change...in principle I still think so but it is never a break for the top players and with such a plethora of International competitions and warm up friendlies the disruption to the domestic game is surely not the original intention of the "break"....already we are reading of players sustaining long term injuries whilst away and we at Chelsea await the seemingly inevitable return of an injured Kante and Pulisic. I haven;t caught up properly yet but am hoping Mason does not join up with the England squad...the time when it was a matter of deep club pride to have National callups for our players has faded into a yesterday.

All good points Chara. And brings us neatly back on topic.

Something that has never changed for me in 45+ years of following Chels is also something younger fans cannot grasp…. And that is that my main preoccupation every season is just to get to ‘safety’ with 40 points!! Comes from all those years of yoyo-ing between the old first and second divisions (strangely still amongst my favourite times!). 
Younger fellow fans always accuse me of a lack of ambition given the quality squads we’ve had over the last 20 years, but I can honestly say I only really relax once that 40 point mark has been reached.

chara   
33 minutes ago, BalhamBoy said:

All good points Chara. And brings us neatly back on topic.

Something that has never changed for me in 45+ years of following Chels is also something younger fans cannot grasp…. And that is that my main preoccupation every season is just to get to ‘safety’ with 40 points!! Comes from all those years of yoyo-ing between the old first and second divisions (strangely still amongst my favourite times!). 
Younger fellow fans always accuse me of a lack of ambition given the quality squads we’ve had over the last 20 years, but I can honestly say I only really relax once that 40 point mark has been reached.

I'm with you there!....the misery of a relegation season and the clinging to the hope of a miracle is something that even long term fans..and I mean 20+ years.(.a well served apprenticeship!) have never experienced.....the handwringing and despair at scraping into the top four is a thing of wry smiles for me..even as I join in the general dismay!

The "Good Old Days" were wonderful but the Golden Days now are better...but again....Ossie in his prime?....The Cat taking yet another cross with such amazing handling....so many moments...and still they continue.......