chara

Watching Chelsea Viewpoints..changed?

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, chara said:

I'm with you there!....the misery of a relegation season and the clinging to the hope of a miracle is something that even long term fans..and I mean 20+ years.(.a well served apprenticeship!) have never experienced.....the handwringing and despair at scraping into the top four is a thing of wry smiles for me..even as I join in the general dismay!

The "Good Old Days" were wonderful but the Golden Days now are better...but again....Ossie in his prime?....The Cat taking yet another cross with such amazing handling....so many moments...and still they continue.......

they say three's a crowd I'm with you two on this as well. Never comfortable till we hit the 40 point mark. I was devastated when we last went down as we all were obviously. On the way home a coach full of boro fans pulled up right next to the bus I was on and because I was wearing a blue sweatshirt not unlike the Chelsea blue they started giving me the verbal.

A good cup run with a few good away days to boot, avoiding relegation, and beating our nearest rivals was enough for me...for a while. However after watching Arsenal pip Liverpool in 89 I started to want glory for us. I don't miss the old days too much to be honest. Happy to be in the mix every season if it puts Arsenal, Liverpool etcetera's noses out of joint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kennypaul said:

they say three's a crowd I'm with you two on this as well. Never comfortable till we hit the 40 point mark. I was devastated when we last went down as we all were obviously. On the way home a coach full of boro fans pulled up right next to the bus I was on and because I was wearing a blue sweatshirt not unlike the Chelsea blue they started giving me the verbal.

A good cup run with a few good away days to boot, avoiding relegation, and beating our nearest rivals was enough for me...for a while. However after watching Arsenal pip Liverpool in 89 I started to want glory for us. I don't miss the old days too much to be honest. Happy to be in the mix every season if it puts Arsenal, Liverpool etcetera's noses out of joint.

Was our hate towards Tottenham just as strong back then? Or is that something that has developed more during the PL era? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
4 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Was our hate towards Tottenham just as strong back then? Or is that something that has developed more during the PL era? 

I started going in 1979 and I can only ever remember hating them. 

I think a lot of rivalries have gotten worse since the advent of social media though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ham said:

I started going in 1979 and I can only ever remember hating them. 

I think a lot of rivalries have gotten worse since the advent of social media though.  

I agree, social media has fuelled a lot of wild masturbatory nonsense.

I remember distinctly how bad the blood was between us and Spurs within the fanbases since I got into football in 00-01 and heeding my Dad's words.

But it feels like the Sky Sports circus didn't start to pick up on the Chelsea-Spurs rivalry until the Battle of the Bridge 2016. Their focus was (and still mainly is) North London derby, but within both of those fanbases there feels just as much vitriol towards us (and mutual of course) but Sky Sports doesn't seem to hype our games with them as much. I'd say they make a bigger deal with us vs Liverpool than our London derbies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   
1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Was our hate towards Tottenham just as strong back then? Or is that something that has developed more during the PL era? 

I'd say it goes back as far as I can remember (late 60s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I'd say it goes back as far as I can remember (late 60s).

I remember the kids at school ..the non sports ones especially..grabbing the coattails of the Glory Glory spurs days....a life time of loathing has followed....

And for CarefreeM....the old days on the terraces were not as romantic as may seem at a distance...I remember..especially one game against spurs appropriately enough...the terrifying surges down the steps and although as a fit strong young man I felt no real fear now I am sure I would not be able to handle it all.

Some time back a poster on here ..can't remember who...mentioned the incident at Fulham Broadway Station when a ticket collectors booth was carried away as if in floodwaters by the crowd pressure.......amusing as a memory but a moment of extreme danger.....

The fatal crowd events in Glasgow on more than one occasion seem to have been forgotten...might be worth a sobering lookback for us all....

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late 70s and 80s aggro fuelled a lot of the local rivalries and Sp*rs we’re an obvious target for our rabidly racist element. More distant teams  eg: Liverp**l and Manure were targeted more out of envy as I remember it. And shameful as it seems now I think many begrudgingly admired the former as our only persistently successful team in Europe. 
That all changed of course as we became genuine contenders ourselves and the envy was reversed. I’d argue the hatred for Liverp**l is now at least as strong (for me even more so) than for any others. And I put that down to the many battles we’ve had on the pitch over the last 15 years and the dismantling of the myth - by their own disgusting behaviour - of them being just cheeky, witty football darlings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
1 hour ago, BalhamBoy said:

Late 70s and 80s aggro fuelled a lot of the local rivalries and Sp*rs we’re an obvious target for our rabidly racist element. More distant teams  eg: Liverp**l and Manure were targeted more out of envy as I remember it. And shameful as it seems now I think many begrudgingly admired the former as our only persistently successful team in Europe. 
That all changed of course as we became genuine contenders ourselves and the envy was reversed. I’d argue the hatred for Liverp**l is now at least as strong (for me even more so) than for any others. And I put that down to the many battles we’ve had on the pitch over the last 15 years and the dismantling of the myth - by their own disgusting behaviour - of them being just cheeky, witty football darlings.

Great post...quietly remembering as it was not as media memories!.......the "old" Shankley era scousers I did begrudgingly admire....fwiw they were real footballers and Tommy Smith was a real hard man..(unlike many of the wannabes)....I have mentioned before the England Youth team with Chopper and Smith as the two "wing halves",,,shudder...

The self dismantling of the myth rings so true....anyone have any idea where the "Peoples Champions" bemusing title comes from?.....never met anyone yet who carries that image......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BalhamBoy said:

Late 70s and 80s aggro fuelled a lot of the local rivalries and Sp*rs we’re an obvious target for our rabidly racist element. More distant teams  eg: Liverp**l and Manure were targeted more out of envy as I remember it. And shameful as it seems now I think many begrudgingly admired the former as our only persistently successful team in Europe. 
That all changed of course as we became genuine contenders ourselves and the envy was reversed. I’d argue the hatred for Liverp**l is now at least as strong (for me even more so) than for any others. And I put that down to the many battles we’ve had on the pitch over the last 15 years and the dismantling of the myth - by their own disgusting behaviour - of them being just cheeky, witty football darlings.

I remember the 1982 quarter final with Spurs had a sinister edge to it. a lot of casuals on both sides 'givin it'. As for the Liverpool hatred I must confess I carry it around with me a bit too much these days. I first noticed animosity really when we beat them in that game in 97 (magnificent). They were really bitter about that ,some liverpool fans I know got very upset lol. And then in 2005 in the league cup final (when they were sh*** at the time) some self righteous mickey unfurled a 'respect is earned not bought' banner, that was it for me. Your last line about dismantling the myth, the press loved the idea of the cheeky chappy, lovable scally who'd do anything to see his beloved team, sometimes without paying. God forbid if it was from another set of supporters though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now