JaneB

Leicester City 0 Chelsea 3

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

You dont pay 100 million for a striker and be satisfied with him "not doing badly."  He looked ok against a truly abysmal Arsenal reserve team, but apart from that he's looked bang average and nowhere near the world class forward we should expect for that kind of money. Our performaces with him in the team and more importantly, without him in team, have only reinforced my opinion that his signing was another hugely over priced panic buy.

Nor do you write him off after 7 games of not playing badly.
I guess a lot of people like to complain about the club and see problems which don't exist.

Ham   

Just watching City v Everton.  City are being hailed by the commentator for having TWO academy products on the pitch. 

Edit: and now Guardiola being credited with the development of Mahrez. 

Edited by Ham

48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Nor do you write him off after 7 games of not playing badly.
I guess a lot of people like to complain about the club and see problems which don't exist.

But I'm not judging him just on the games he's played for us.  Even Stevie Wonder can see he is exactly the same, plodding lump which had 99% of the UTD fanbase happy to see the back of.

In the Premiership, he's a good level Everton player. Never has been and never will be anything more!

JaneB   
42 minutes ago, Ham said:

Just watching City v Everton.  City are being hailed by the commentator for having TWO academy products on the pitch. 

Sterling not getting away with diving for a penalty for a change or maybe I'm being harsh.  Although he's scored now anyway :-(

Holymoly   
7 hours ago, Bison said:

I wish the club/manager had the foresight to see which way his development was going. The money spent on Lukaku could have been used elsewhere or set aside for a real difference maker.

I think the narrative was that we were prepared to spend the money on Haaland but refused to entertain Raiola's ludicrous personal demands. When that ship sank late on we were left with little choice if we were to start the season with a bona fide striker. Also don't forget initially Lukaku wasn't that bothered coming back to SB and it was only with Conte moving on that he seemed to change his mind.

Lukaku is a strange case in that he has never settled at any club and become a "great" however his transfer fees don't seem to suffer. I'd like to think that we would still be able to get a reasonable amount back from the fee we paid if we were to trade up for a younger more prolific model. The alternative of course is we bring Hazard back for one last hurrah and the two link up for one huge season.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

But I'm not judging him just on the games he's played for us.  Even Stevie Wonder can see he is exactly the same, plodding lump which had 99% of the UTD fanbase happy to see the back of.

In the Premiership, he's a good level Everton player. Never has been and never will be anything more!

Rubbish.  Plain and simple nonsense.

53 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

The alternative of course is we bring Hazard back for one last hurrah and the two link up for one huge season.

Mount, Havertz, Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO
On the form of the last season and a bit - where does Hazard fit in amongst that group?  Never mind being a 31 yo (next window) former flying young winger.  5 goals in all comps for RM.

Blue Rod   
8 hours ago, Bison said:

I wish the club/manager had the foresight to see which way his development was going. The money spent on Lukaku could have been used elsewhere or set aside for a real difference maker.

We were absolutely dominant yesterday and the first half was almost as good as I've seen us in a very long time. How much does Havertz mobility and ability to press from the front help? A lot. I really believe we don't get that kind of performance yesterday with Lukaku leading the line.

To be fair, it's not only Lukaku that we have wasted money on. It's fair to say that Havertz is a decent player, but for £75m, on which planet? I agree that he will improve, as most players do. But to justify his £75m price tag he needs to not just improve, but acquire a whole new sets of skills akin to becoming a whole new player.

Lukaku was always a solution looking for a problem. There is always this quasi-romantic view that if only we had this wonderful finisher, we would be scoring bucket loads of goals. Yes, Werner did miss a few sitters last season, but  we were never prolific at creating those kinds of striker's chances. 

Even when we perform brilliantly like we did yesterday, you could see that we are not really a striker's heaven. Our goals come from such unpredictable situations that a striker could be anywhere on the pitch at that time. That is a plus in itself

£50m on ball-playing No 6 to rival Jorgimho and Kovacic, or a No 8, if TT does not rate CHO ,would have been a better spend. On Havertz and Lukaku we've spent £175m, and neither is a ball player in the sense of increasing our goal chances.

Edited by Blue Rod

10 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

To be fair, it's not only Lukaku that we have wasted money on. It's fair to say that Havertz is a decent player, but for £75m, on which planet?

I think if you want anyone else (except perhaps me) to engage with you, you need to start off with a more credible statement of fact.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Amazing isn't it , I'm watching the Spurs Leeds game and although Spurs have improved massively in the second half , Martin Tyler is effusive in his praise for every pass they make , it truly seems he likes anyone except us .

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Amazing isn't it , I'm watching the Spurs Leeds game and although Spurs have improved massively in the second half , Martin Tyler is effusive in his praise for every pass they make , it truly seems he likes anyone except us .

2 goals that really is improving massively