JaneB

Leicester City 0 Chelsea 3

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Amazing isn't it , I'm watching the Spurs Leeds game and although Spurs have improved massively in the second half , Martin Tyler is effusive in his praise for every pass they make , it truly seems he likes anyone except us .

2 goals that really is improving massively

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think if you want anyone else (except perhaps me) to engage with you, you need to start off with a more credible statement of fact.

There are no facts about how much a player is worth in transfer fees. It's all about judgement, and mine has always been that both players were seriously overpriced. Nothing they've done so far has changed my mind. And thanks for your advice. 

paulw66   
10 hours ago, exiledblue said:

we finished 4th because we started so badly under Lamps

We struggled for goals a bit under TT too. Averaged 2 points a game post Lampard. Not enough to win the league

7 hours ago, SabCFC said:

I don't understand this revisionism with Lukaku, he actually won us crucial points early in the season. Arsenal, Villa, Zenith he was huge and his goals were match-winning really. We also played well with Lukaku at Liverpool or at Spurs.

The thing with Lukaku is he scores 50% of his chances and that's a trend of his entire career, that means we have someone who will punish teams. He actually almost did it at Juve even when we weren't great, he really doesn't need much to score and that's a big, big asset when you're chasing a game, which we will eventually find ourselves in.

The improved performances aren't due to no Lukaku or no Werner  - both of them played against Southampton and that was actually a very good performance from the team with Werner getting a goal and Lukaku almost getting one in the buildup to Chilwell's goal at the end.

I think having two reliable 9s with Lukaku & Havertz will be beneficial this season, especially when we'll be chasing a game. Actually, add Pulisic to the lot, he has incredible off the ball movement in the box and can be a different type of 9 as well.

Our performances have improved by keeping a core at the back of: Rudiger, T. Silva and Jorginho. These 3 give us complete control of the possession for one. Then we have improved our intensity *as a team* - that's not dependent on individuals, it's about everyone being in a similar good physical shape after a summer of international football and truncated preseason. One interesting stat that shows this is that the team has been running more and more Kms per game in the Champions League (so from September to November), proof of simply getting at the peak of the physical shape as I'm guessing it was planned. I remember some Chelsea teams that peaked in September ... only to look completely knackered in November, because of light summer training sessions. I'm guessing this was the opposite, some heavy conditioning in the summer so that the sessions can be lighter physically during the season. Chilwell taking time to get back to shape, Mount's slow start are proof of that IMO - I'll be guessing the Lukaku we've seen wasn't at his physical best after playing so much in the summer and barely getting time to be prepared specifically for this season.

The team also seems to have fully absorbed the more sophisticated tactical tweaks introduced this season - Chilwell & James in inverted positions when we look to beat the press, the interchanging of the positions in attack, the patterns of play (Kanté mentioned they have a "circuit" with him and James to French TV yesterday about his goal), the set-piece routines (Rudiger said this was a weakness of Leicester they've analysed - they conceded the same goal against Arsenal) ... Everyone is more comfortable now from a tactical POV and in better shape physically. The rotation will be a lot more fluid in attack as consequence.

Even last season, we were a different team between February and April. Including specific individual performances, so it's a bit wild to me to say x or y player won't fit. At some point, we were made to believe that Havertz would never fit PL football as he's not physical enough or too lazy.

Anyway, back to the game:

Complete dominance in the first half, as dominant as you’ll see City & Liverpool at their peak. The 2nd half was quieter but even we let them have a bit more of the ball, we were still hurting them on attack. T. Silva, Rudiger  & Jorginho with 10/10 performances. They are the heart and the head of this team.

Still think this is 70% post-COVID Kanté, by the way. But it's enough to demolish N'didi & Soumaré. He's not even in CL final form.

Just like in the FA Cup, Leicester were only dangerous on long shots, wherever Rodgers goes, TT has his number tactically.

A lot of flak usually goes to Pulisic & Ziyech. I honestly can't comprehend that fans want the club to ship them off so fast, it's a bit absurd. Especially in the case of Pulisic, who's only 22-23 and clearly has a gear or two in him (which we've seen - basically carried the team to Top 4 post-lockdown when Lampard dropped any pretence of tactical solutions and reverted to One Route football), the same set of fans angry with the club for selling Salah or KDB too soon I suppose.

The starting front 3 did all the hard work for 60 minutes — pressing hard (Mount), off the ball movement (Havertz killed Evans), 1v1 isolation (CHO) then the subs got to play against tired legs. Space opened up, and they had lots of chances. This is why depth is so important. 

City's attackers aren't all on fire all the time, quite a similar story actually. City fans were clamouring for Sterling to be sold, for Jesus to be sold, for Mahrez to be sold, at multiple points last season. Yet it's that rotation that got them to be in contention for 4 titles. It hurts players individually but it benefits a team's chances of winning titles. 

It's actually how we won the Champions League as well, multiple solutions & fresh legs at each stage: Giroud/Werner/Ziyech v Atletico, Mount/Pulisic v Porto, Pulisic/Havetz/Werner v Real Madrid. Then we got to pick the most in form and in sync for the final. 

Very encouraging signs from Ziyech since the Newcastle game, he picks a pass like no one else. It's obvious the freak shoulder injury bothered him and stifled him in his freedom of movement (which TT kept mentioning, but fans quick to slag off players kept ignoring). I can't believe anyone would question his quality as a football player, it's about form and that can be regained. He's an excellent option as the playmaker/inside forward hybrid role that Mount provides.

Mount didn't look completely fit, TT mentioned he has lost some weight. So it will take time for him to be back at his absolute best as he's very much a rhythm type of player, hopefully fans are patient ...

Pulisic as a late number 9 option is something that can really work. It limits his heroballing, and forces him to focus on movement, he's elite at that. He crashes the goal like very few wingers with his speed can, a big asset. He has an instinct for goals too, that's huge for us.

The performance was really of very high standards. Just like Burnley, it's about replicating the performance and the results will follow.

Great post, and thanks for taking the time to write such a long, well written post.

6 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

You dont pay 100 million for a striker and be satisfied with him "not doing badly."  He looked ok against a truly abysmal Arsenal reserve team, but apart from that he's looked bang average and nowhere near the world class forward we should expect for that kind of money. Our performaces with him in the team and more importantly, without him in team, have only reinforced my opinion that his signing was another hugely over priced panic buy.

Panic buy? We've been after him since 2017. 

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

There are no facts about how much a player is worth in transfer fees. It's all about judgement, and mine has always been that both players were seriously overpriced. Nothing they've done so far has changed my mind. And thanks for your advice. 

Havertz was overpriced, but at least there is the potential for him to become a genuine high quality player and eventually give us our money's worth, and lets not forget he's already scored the goal that won us the CL. The Lukaku fee is just downright laughable.   

Ham   
10 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Havertz was overpriced, but at least there is the potential for him to become a genuine high quality player and eventually give us our money's worth, and lets not forget he's already scored the goal that won us the CL. The Lukaku fee is just downright laughable.   

I think it's a bit early to definitively judge the Lukaku fee. 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

I think it's a bit early to definitively judge the Lukaku fee. 

He's 29 in 6 months time and is not going to improve as a player. Again, he's already been tried at this level in the premiership and while not a complete disaster at Utd, he very clearly wasn't of the quality that a club trying to win the title needs to have and the vast majority of the Utd fans who watched him every week were very happy to see him leave. They also couldn't believe their luck in getting 70 million for him. Not  good enough for Utd, nowhere near good enough for City or Liverpool, but somehow good enough for us...hmmm

Ro61   
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

He's 29 in 6 months time and is not going to improve as a player. Again, he's already been tried at this level in the premiership and while not a complete disaster at Utd, he very clearly wasn't of the quality that a club trying to win the title needs to have and the vast majority of the Utd fans who watched him every week were very happy to see him leave. They also couldn't believe their luck in getting 70 million for him. Not  good enough for Utd, nowhere near good enough for City or Liverpool, but somehow good enough for us...hmmm

Pretty much sums it for me.He wasn't a 'panic buy' just a bad one. hindsight is a wonderful thing - we were desparate  for someone to just finish the chances we created - now we have players scoring from positions we only hoped of.

I see no problem with lakaku - he has a role to to play for sure but he was overpriced(who isn't  in the modern game?).All in all we have done quite well in our signings - every top team buys shite - but not all over spending clubs win the champions league twice and win the premier league on several occasions - we must be doing something right?.

Typical Chelsea fans absolutely nothing to moan about right now so let's moan about a player that hasn't played for 5 weeks.

Not sure why some can't just be happy. City and Liverpool would kill for Lukaku, he may not be first choice at either, he may end up not being first choice here,  although I think he will prove all the doubters wrong, but the options we have up front, Lukaku/Werner/Havertz blows every other team away and personally I do not care who scores the goals or how many each individual gets.

If Lukaku scores 10/15 goals this year, against the teams he normal does,  the teams we normally struggle to score against and we win the league it will be job done and money well spent.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Typical Chelsea fans absolutely nothing to moan about right now so let's moan about a player that hasn't played for 5 weeks.

5 weeks - injury prone crock