JaneB

Leicester City 0 Chelsea 3

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Typical Chelsea fans absolutely nothing to moan about right now so let's moan about a player that hasn't played for 5 weeks.

Not sure why some can't just be happy. City and Liverpool would kill for Lukaku, he may not be first choice at either, he may end up not being first choice here,  although I think he will prove all the doubters wrong, but the options we have up front, Lukaku/Werner/Havertz blows every other team away and personally I do not care who scores the goals or how many each individual gets.

If Lukaku scores 10/15 goals this year, against the teams he normal does,  the teams we normally struggle to score against and we win the league it will be job done and money well spent.

Well said, Martin. 

5 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

If Lukaku scores 10/15 goals this year, against the teams he normal does,  the teams we normally struggle to score against and we win the league it will be job done and money well spent.

1 - Outside of his goals he offers little to the team effort.

2 - You would settle for 10 goals and say it's job done and money well spent - 10 MILLION PER GOAL would be money well spent😮😮😮

Exactly why should he get away with contributing so little for that kind of money?  

And as for the likes of City killing for a player like Lukaku. Name me one single attacking player Pep has had in his team's who is as technically poor as Lukaku? 

15 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

2 - You would settle for 10 goals and say it's job done and money well spent - 10 MILLION PER GOAL would be money well spent😮😮😮

Exactly why should he get away with contributing so little for that kind of money?  

Why did you ignore the bit about that being satisfactory if we win the league?

I mean, I know why. Just be good if you'd account for it yourself.

You do realise what the point of being in the Premier League is, yes?

paulw66   
17 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

And as for the likes of City killing for a player like Lukaku. Name me one single attacking player Pep has had in his team's who is as technically poor as Lukaku? 

Quite bizarre. 

1. I would disagree quite a lot. His physical presence occupies defenders and creates space for others

2. It's not 10m a goal if then scores more in subsequent seasons. Odd maths. Or indeed, that is not the only way to judge a player's contribution. As pointed out, if he contributes to us winning the league, it is a good signing. 

3. City have drawn a blank 5 times this season. Technical or not, they need / miss a striker with presence, particularly in some of the games where the oppo just defends. 

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Why did you ignore the bit about that being satisfactory if we win the league?

I mean, I know why. Just be good if you'd account for it yourself.

You do realise what the point of being in the Premier League is, yes?

I gnored the bit about us winning the league, because 10 goals (you would accept 10)  against shite teams is not what we should be laying out 100 million for. Simple as! We paid 60 million for Morata who scored 11 in his first season, yet many fans rate him as a terrible buy, but 10 goals from Lukaku would be acceptable🙄 Even if we won the league when Morata was here, it still wouldn't have been judged as a good signing and rightly so.

You pay massive money you should expect genuine world class performances. Game changers, home and away against every level of opposition,.

You say his size is a plus. I think defenders are way more worried about strikers with great movement and technical ability than they are about a big lump standing there pointing his fingers. Then there is his lack of closing down and general lack or work rate off the ball. A lot of people are saying Ronaldo is harming Utd for this very reason, despite the goals he's scoring. 

Doesn't matter how many games City have failed to score in. They strolled to the title last year without a main striker. Pep would never dream of signing a Lukaku type player and neither would Klopp. Lukaku was obviously another Roman/board signing and feck all to do with TT.

paulw66   
21 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Doesn't matter how many games City have failed to score in. They strolled to the title last year without a main striker. Pep would never dream of signing a Lukaku type player and neither would Klopp. Lukaku was obviously another Roman/board signing and feck all to do with TT.

This paragraph is gold.

Blue Rod   
48 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I gnored the bit about us winning the league, because 10 goals (you would accept 10)  against shite teams is not what we should be laying out 100 million for. Simple as! We paid 60 million for Morata who scored 11 in his first season, yet many fans rate him as a terrible buy, but 10 goals from Lukaku would be acceptable🙄 Even if we won the league when Morata was here, it still wouldn't have been judged as a good signing and rightly so.

You pay massive money you should expect genuine world class performances. Game changers, home and away against every level of opposition,.

You say his size is a plus. I think defenders are way more worried about strikers with great movement and technical ability than they are about a big lump standing there pointing his fingers. Then there is his lack of closing down and general lack or work rate off the ball. A lot of people are saying Ronaldo is harming Utd for this very reason, despite the goals he's scoring. 

I don't think people really appreciate what  £100m is, even in today's football money. It's one tenth of a £billion, one tenth of the entire value of a top ten PL club. It is a colossal sum.

Obviously we don't want to be like Spurs, counting the wrong king of pennies. My argument has never been that Lukaku is a bad player, rather,  is £100m for Lukaku the best we can do? 

Sometimes we get our buys spot on, like Mendy. Other times we get duped. When that happens, we should be man enough to admit it, rather coming up with silly excuses. Are we that far ahead of the days when top players were signed to dominate and change a game? What is all this thing about "movement", "physical presence"? 

I take your point about Havertz developing into a top player to "retrospectively" justify £75m, and I hope he does,  because I really like him and I think he respects the privilege of playing for Chelsea. However, whereas I can see the strengths of Mount, James, CHO, etc, and can see them building on those strengths. I really struggle to see what Havertz's strengths are.

I would really like Havertz to  show some quality that stands him out. He reminds me of Paul Pogba a player capable of sublime skills, but not a great player. I wait to be proved wrong. 

What stands out the players that are currently shining in our team is that they pack a lot of footballing skills not just for their position. Lukaku is the opposite. That is why I am less optimistic about his contributions. 

Edited by Blue Rod

SabCFC   

Very, very strange that people have decided that a guy who was the 5th youngest player to score 100 PL goals, currently 20th goalscorer in the Prem's history (with the least games played in the Top 20 with Vardy), a guy who scored 24 goals in Serie A AND 11 assists just last season (while creating the most chances in the league), who has 3 PL goals for Chelsea in 7 games (and has 2 xA - chances created for teammates) is somehow ... a bang average player. 

Seems like a lot of stereotyping going on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

I gnored the bit about us winning the league, because 10 goals (you would accept 10)  against shite teams is not what we should be laying out 100 million for ...

You say his size is a plus ...

So you ignored it to pursue a counter-argument against an argument no one is really making, I.e. 10 goals is okay from a £97m striker.

Chelsea's m.o. right now is to win major titles. If Lukaku contributes to that happening, he'll have done what he's been brought here to do. Even if his individual output isn't what was hoped for. The same would be true of any player or signing.

BTW, I haven't said anything about what I'd "accept" or Lukaku's size. 

15 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

Very, very strange that people have decided that a guy who was the 5th youngest player to score 100 PL goals, currently 20th goalscorer in the Prem's history (with the least games played in the Top 20 with Vardy), a guy who scored 24 goals in Serie A AND 11 assists just last season (while creating the most chances in the league), who has 3 PL goals for Chelsea in 7 games (and has 2 xA - chances created for teammates) is somehow ... a bang average player. 

Seems like a lot of stereotyping going on here.

The standard of Serie A is woeful!  All I'm saying is Lukaku was not good enough for Utd, nowhere near good enough for City or Liverpool, not good enough for us and masssively over priced. I've never said he isn't good enough for a decent Euro League level team. I'd actually be ok with him as plan b 40 million pound squad player, but never in a million years is he an elite 100 million striker to lead a title chasing team.