JaneB

Leicester City 0 Chelsea 3

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Funny how we won the league twice with Drogba scoring 10 and 12 goals and he only scored 20+ twice in 9 years 

Completely dfferent types of forwards. Drogba was a massively important, influential, inspiring all round team player who stepped up time and time again in the big games. An alltime Chelsea great! Just about the complete opposite from Lukaku in the crucial big games.

19 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Completely dfferent types of forwards. Drogba was a massively important, influential, inspiring all round team player who stepped up time and time again in the big games. An alltime Chelsea great! Just about the complete opposite from Lukaku in the crucial big games.

First season scored against Palace, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Norwich, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, West Brom and Birmingham.

Second season Arsenal, West Brom, Sunderland, Bolton, Blackburn, West Ham, West Brom, City, West Ham and Everton.

One goal against a 'top 4 side' in two years. 22 goals in 2 years. 

We won the league both times.

This is in no way meant as a dig at the great man, who is one of our best ever. 

Just trying to prove a point that you don't need a striker to score 25+ goals a season to win the league.

33 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

So as well as over paid, over priced, Lukaku has no character.  And coincidentally you objectively don't rate him.

58 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Just trying to prove a point that you don't need a striker to score 25+ goals a season to win the league.

Drogba and even Costa, brought much more to the team than just their goals and both way, way better value for money than 97 million on a striker like Lukaku.

As I've said, Lukaku is not only very technically poor for a top four side,  his lack of closing down and all round work is not good enough either, so Imho, he has to compensate for his very significant flaws by scoring a **** load of goals.

Anyway, we have to agree to disagree on this. I'm not and never will be a fan of a Lukaku kind of striker for a top team. Apart from everything else, it ust looks so old hat trying to compete with modern day football teams like a City and Liverpool with a striker like him.

Holymoly   
On 21/11/2021 at 6:13 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Martin Tyler is effusive in his praise for every pass they make , it truly seems he likes anyone except us .

I think he just tries to be everyone's pal and plays to the majority. When it comes to us however he can't be bothered and we're lazily cast as the historical pantomime villain.

paulw66   
16 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Don't worry, just checked and it's 5 times out of 38.

What is more interesting is the lack of correlation between winners and golden boot winner 

17 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Funny how some players get much much better when they do not play and some get much much worse...

Yes. A match we won 3-0 without Lukaku, and suddenly the thread has derailed and is all about him. Bizarre. 

16 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So as well as over paid, over priced, Lukaku has no character.  And coincidentally you objectively don't rate him.

His level of performances in the big Premiership league games leaves a question mark against his character.  I've also heard quite a lot of Utd fans say they didn't like his attitute, lazy work rate and way too high opinion of himself.  

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

His level of performances in the big Premiership league games leaves a question mark against his character.  I've also heard quite a lot of Utd fans say they didn't like his attitute, lazy work rate and way too high opinion of himself.  

Not being funny but all the criticism he gets, not just from you, is quite frankly absurd. The man has 263 goals in 530 games at club level and 68 in 101 for his country, not to mention 116 in 259 premier league games. 

I get he has flaws, every player that has ever played the game has but he is an elite level striker that averages a goal every other games in over 600 games. 

Would also point out that after 3 goals in 7 league games for us yet there seems to be quite a few, again not just you and not just on here, that are very quick to judge.

Maybe we should have bought someone else or kept Tammy, which was never going to happen, maybe he was too expensive, maybe his first touch isn't that good but maybe we should wait and see how he does before people start with the I told you so. 

Oh and everything I have seen of him since he left United suggests his attitude is 100% spot on and doesn't come across as arrogant at all.

Edited by Martin1905

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

Not being funny but all the criticism he gets, not just from you, is quite frankly absurd. The man has 263 goals in 530 games at club level and 68 in 101 for his country, not to mention 116 in 259 premier league games. 

I get he has flaws, every player that has ever played the game has but he is an elite level striker that averages a goal every other games in over 600 games. 

Would also point out that after 3 goals in 7 league games for us yet there seems to be quite a few, again not just you and not just on here, that are very quick to judge.

Maybe we should have bought someone else or kept Tammy, which was never going to happen, maybe he was too expensive, maybe his first touch isn't that good but maybe we should wait and see how he does before people start with the I told you so. 

Hear, hear!

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Oh and everything I have seen of him since he left United suggests his attitude is 100% spot on and doesn't come across as arrogant at all.

This.