JaneB

Chelsea 4 Juventus 0

12 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

That game was so much fun I hadn't realized that our academy boys scored 3 of the 4 goals. Then again, given we have a 'ton' of them it's no more seen as being important by the media - except  when it happens for the other more loved clubs.

Anyway, get well soon Chilwell. With him unavailable, it affects our balance in terms of how Tuchel wants to play offensively and defensively. Alonso is limited defensively (though I expect him to start vs. ManU) while Azpil is limited offensively.

I am one of the biggest supporters of Alonso as whilst I recognise his limitations, I also highly appreciate his offensive play. That said, under no circumstances would I have him starting up against players with the speed of Sancho or Rashford, that is a recipe for disaster. Personally, as much as I would hate to do it, have Dave there to start the game and take some of the pace out of their legs before putting Alonso in. 

55 minutes ago, East Lower said:

James was phenomenal, absolutely one of the best performances I’ve seen in a very long time from one of ours. 

Let's be real, Cafu is just the Brazilian Reece James 😂. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I am one of the biggest supporters of Alonso as whilst I recognise his limitations, I also highly appreciate his offensive play. That said, under no circumstances would I have him starting up against players with the speed of Sancho or Rashford, that is a recipe for disaster. Personally, as much as I would hate to do it, have Dave there to start the game and take some of the pace out of their legs before putting Alonso in. 

Lol. I just re-read what wrote. I actually meant to say, I expect Azpilcueta to start.

I loved that game!!

In a broader aspect , when I think about great Chelsea defences I need go no further that JT, Carvalho, Gallas, Ferraria era. This current group of defenders and attacking wing backs equals that in defensive terms and exceeds it in terms of goal threat. Every defender can hit the back of the net.  Mendy is second only to Cech in his pomp in the modern era. James is not just the best in the Premier he might be the best in the world...I certainly wouldn't want to swop with anyone especially as he is only 21. And to have 3 academy players score and have half a dozen play in a big game is a proud moment.  And the options in defence and midfield are endless. Kante injured and RLC comes on and plays like that. And I have given Zyech some stick but he was amazing today. Not just his on the ball work but off the ball he worked his socks off. He seemed to be playing more central which maybe helped. 

We also had a goal from a forward which was nice to see especially as it was Werner. My only concern oddly is the return of our main centre forward. Our fluidity might suffer but I don't think TT can leave him out.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chelboy said:

Slightly worried about this. Chilwell isn’t the type to go down like he did. He seemed to be in a lot of pain. It did look like a knee injury which is always worrying. 

The only thing I can add to this to try and offer some positivity is that I’ve suffered a knee injury whilst playing football, didn’t fully snap my ligament but damaged it quite badly and my reaction was very similar to Chilwell, it felt like I’d been shot in the knee (I started accusing everyone near me off kicking me), however the difference is that when I tried to stand up, with help, and walk off the pitch, I absolutely couldn’t, I could not put any weight on it whatsoever and so the fact he’s managed to walk/hobble off gave me some hope it may not be as serious as it first looked. Regardless, I imagine he’ll be missing for quite a few games, as we enter the stupidly busy period of the season.

Alonso will step up though, he was fantastic at the start of the season and it took Chilwell to hit the form of his life to take his place in the team.

Sciatika   

I am worried that Mendy is not getting his fair share of goals scored. TT needs to look into that because it's a definite weakness in the side. Maybe a new GK in January?

• Haha 1

Blue Rod   

That performance against Alphonso Davies two seasons ago did a lot of good to James. I was worried how it might affect him psychologically. Instead,  what a player he's grown into. 

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I am worried that Mendy is not getting his fair share of goals scored. TT needs to look into that because it's a definite weakness in the side. Maybe a new GK in January?

It's fine, Kepa will get a run in the team and he'll show us how a GK can help get balls into the back of the net!