JaneB

Chelsea 4 Juventus 0

29 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

reading a few reports that Chilwell will be out for the season :(

A huge loss and not overly confident with Alonso

Indeed, a big loss if he is out for 6/9 months

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/24/chelsea-fear-ben-chilwell-knee-injury-may-be-cruciate-ligament-damage

4 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

That is a massive blow if he's out for the rest of the season, he is so crucial to how we play at the moment and for as good as Alonso was at the start of the season, I'm not sure he can fill the role Chilwell has been playing.

If he is out for the season, do we look to bring someone in, even on loan, in January to at least act as cover for Alonso? Can Emerson be called back?

I really hope it's not as bad as feared and that the reports are just people guessing as to the issue based on what we saw. Sometimes something that causes immediate and severe pain can turn out to be not as bad as it may look... sometimes the opposite, so nobody knows until the scans are done.

SabCFC   

Emerson is average and has found his level at Lyon, trust me I watch them. Alonso is twice the player Emerson is - the only thing he has over Marcos is pace, but it's useless if you run the wrong way.

For Chilwell's injury, it's unfortunate, it looked bad live so I won't get my hopes up.

However, the panic is absurd to me. Alonso is fine, he might not have Chilwell's dynamism, but he has other qualities: excellent ball retention under pressure, even better positioning for goalscoring threat and just as good on set-pieces. I feel like people quickly forget that he was one of our better performers in August & September, that a lot of players weren't good against City & Juventus (including undroppable players like Kanté or players who are back to being very good like Havertz and Ziyech). He also understands the position very well, he was even doing the inverted role before it became obvious it was planned (especially vs Spurs & Arsenal with Havertz occupying the left flank).

His pace can be an issue, I agree, however we went to Anfield against the team with the best right flank in the world, and he was more than solid. These days, Rudiger does most of the 1v1 defending against wingers/inside forwards. Chilwell hasn't had to do much defending.

Other alternatives exist: Saul has played LWB plenty of times for Atletico, he can provide the pace and dynamism, he was a goalscoring winger in the past so has an eye for goal and he's willing to press and run and defend. 

We can also use a winger at WB if we want a more attacking/dynamic option.

This idea that the team crumbles if you take away one player is a bit absurd. Only Jorginho & Rudiger we haven't been able to replace man-to-man so far, and maybe now James in this kind of form; but we will find collective solutions and Alonso is experienced and talented enough to be an adequate replacement.

Back to the performance, not much to say other than simply fantastic. This is what I like about replicating performances, whether it's Norwich or Malmo or Burnley, play the same way, and results will follow. We have to keep up the performances against all kinds of opponents.

In the first half, we sustained a lot of pressure on Juve's goal, even if we weren't creating in open play, it gave us corner after corner. Notice how we went from exclusively inswinger corners against Leicester to outswinger corners exclusively against Juventus. This is the variety and tactical adaptation we lacked last season even when Zouma was scoring on set-pieces.

There was one issue we had that led to Juve's best chance. Because we now essentially play with a 3+1 defensive structure, Kanté was very high on the right, Ziyech was tasked to be central and in few occasions Juventus took advantage of the left midfield space (especially given they've played 4 CMs), then when Rudiger gets overly aggressive with his press, Morata's hold up play gave Juventus the chance to beat the press a few times. We did fix that after the half, with Silva taking the responsibility of marking Morata and Rudiger stepping up to occupy the left midfield space. It shows how much risk Tuchel is taking as he clearly wanted to beat Juventus and score 2 goals to get the top spot.

Second half was a half of football that was a long time coming. We've played very well like this before but goals didn't come, this time they were there. We were due a beating of a top side with how well we've been playing for the last 10 months (Real Madrid should have lost 4-0 for example).

Jorginho is playing at an incredible level, even if people aren't noticing it. He's basically a one-man midfield now: he's reading everything, intercepting everything, passing flawlessly,  screening the defence expertly. Look at the freedom it gives Kanté to attack. Let's hope Kovacic is back soon so we can rest him.

Reece James is slowly joining the "10/10 performances every week" exclusive club of Silva & Jorginho. Just like Klopp was a blessing for TAA & Pep for Cancelo, Tuchel is expanding his game to reach a whole other level of performance. Those players could have been considered as classic fullbacks who cross the ball, but with top managers, they can do so much more.

2 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

Emerson is average and has found his level at Lyon, trust me I watch them. Alonso is twice the player Emerson is - the only thing he has over Marcos is pace, but it's useless if you run the wrong way.

For Chilwell's injury, it's unfortunate, it looked bad live so I won't get my hopes up.

However, the panic is absurd to me. Alonso is fine, he might not have Chilwell's dynamism, but he has other qualities: excellent ball retention under pressure, even better positioning for goalscoring threat and just as good on set-pieces. I feel like people quickly forget that he was one of our better performers in August & September, that a lot of players weren't good against City & Juventus (including undroppable players like Kanté or players who are back to being very good like Havertz and Ziyech). He also understands the position very well, he was even doing the inverted role before it became obvious it was planned (especially vs Spurs & Arsenal with Havertz occupying the left flank).

His pace can be an issue, I agree, however we went to Anfield against the team with the best right flank in the world, and he was more than solid. These days, Rudiger does most of the 1v1 defending against wingers/inside forwards. Chilwell hasn't had to do much defending.

Other alternatives exist: Saul has played LWB plenty of times for Atletico, he can provide the pace and dynamism, he was a goalscoring winger in the past so has an eye for goal and he's willing to press and run and defend. 

This idea that the team crumbles if you take away one player is a bit absurd. Only Jorginho & Rudiger we haven't been able to replace man-to-man so far, and maybe now James in this kind of form; but we will find collective solutions and Alonso is experienced and talented enough to be an adequate replacement.

Back to the performance, not much to say other than simply fantastic. This is what I like about replicating performances, whether it's Norwich or Malmo or Burnley, play the same way, and results will follow. We have to keep up the performances against all kinds of opponents.

In the first half, we sustained a lot of pressure on Juve's goal, even if we weren't creating in open play, it gave us corner after corner. Notice how we went from exclusively inswinger corners against Leicester to outswinger corners exclusively against Juventus. This is the variety and tactical adaptation we lacked last season even when Zouma was scoring on set-pieces.

There was one issue we had that led to Juve's best chance. Because we now essentially play with a 3+1 defensive structure, Kanté was very high on the right, Ziyech was tasked to be central and in few occasions Juventus took advantage of the left midfield space (especially given they've played 4 CMs), then when Rudiger gets overly aggressive with his press, Morata's hold up play gave Juventus the chance to beat the press a few times. We did fix that after the half, with Silva taking the responsibility of marking Morata and Rudiger stepping up to occupy the left midfield space. It shows how much risk Tuchel is taking as he clearly wanted to beat Juventus and score 2 goals to get the top spot.

Second half was a half of football that was a long time coming. We've played very well like this before but goals didn't come, this time they were there. We were due a beating of a top side with how well we've been playing for the last 10 months (Real Madrid should have lost 4-0 for example).

Jorginho is playing at an incredible level, even if people aren't noticing it. He's basically a one-man midfield now: he's reading everything, intercepting everything, passing flawlessly,  screening the defence expertly. Look at the freedom it gives Kanté to attack. Let's hope Kovacic is back soon so we can rest him.

Reece James is slowly joining the "10/10 performances every week" exclusive club of Silva & Jorginho. Just like Klopp was a blessing for TAA & Pep for Cancelo, Tuchel is expanding his game to reach a whole other level of performance. Those players could have been considered as classic fullbacks who cross the ball, but with top managers, they can do so much more.

Agree with this. Amazing performances in recent games. Pretty much faultless in possession, while doing tremendous defensive work.

Our back 7 - and Mendy - have been truly magnificent. Our front three are not yet at their level, but slowly getting there.

52 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

Werner at LWB would be amazing IMO.

52 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

Yes - they have been a big miss when not available (often rotated out with Silva making it worse)

54 minutes ago, SabCFC said:

WTF was going on 12 months ago???  We have only added 1 striker and Saul, and neither have played much while selling our starting striker from then.  And suffered much more from injuries.

There is a style of football that weaker clubs play against Man City or sometimes recently Liverpool.  This wasn't Norwich or Newcastle, this was Juventus playing "protect our reputation" football against us.  And the great thing is that TT really has got us set up to play against it (possibly PSG in La Liga was a good experience for that).
Will Man U play "Reputation Protect" football against us?

Ro61   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

. Sometimes something that causes immediate and severe pain can turn out to be not as bad as it may look... sometimes the opposite, so nobody knows until the scans are done.

This is true.I suffered ligament  damage in my playing days.I can honestly say it was the worst pain I ever endured (and I've had many injuries).

Luckily I was about to join another team and their physio put me right in about 4 weeks  and this at a time when they used kids as chimney sweeps😁

Hopefully it's not as bad as first feared because he will be a big loss.

Mail headline  but?

Chelsea fear Ben Chilwell 'has suffered a serious knee injury and damaged his ACL' after being forced off against Juventus... with in-form left-back facing an anxious wait for the results of his scan today

The piece itself has no quotes other than the post match TV clip off TT saying we don't know, test tomorrow.  So either they have news hot from the club but couldn't write it up,

Or "     "   now means the text we want to print but couldn't find anyone to actually say.
After the Chinese tennis player's "allegation of sexual assault" which are no longer mentioned in reports (and were never mentioned by her either). I'm guessing the later is the case.

And then there is Telegraph version of the same:
image.thumb.png.67002220d06abe7a21faef00a129723e.png

= Exclusive, there may be a story here or there may be no story at all.
World set to end as man sits on porch wondering about it all.

• Haha 1

Blue Rod   

If Chilwell is out for weeks, it's really unfortunate for him as he was coming into form. It's not only a selection but also a PR headache for TT and the club. Rumours have it that the club's senior hierarchy is not happy spending their energy defending Alonso's stance on taking the knee. 

You can tell how good the game was - only 13 pages even now.  No one angry even at the players who didn't play.
 I liked this.  A bit over simple (which is good), but this is how we work drawing attention to Jorginho and then quickly releasing it to someone else.  Typically Mount, Kovacic or Kante, but mostly Ziyech yesterday.  
(hit play - it is animated)

5 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

If Chilwell is out for weeks, it's really unfortunate for him as he was coming into form. It's not only a selection but also a PR headache for TT and the club. Rumours have it that the club's senior hierarchy is not happy spending their energy defending Alonso's stance on taking the knee. 

1.  It is the opposite of a selection headache - it simplifies the job.
2.  What energy? - I haven't seen anyone questioning Alonso's position, or defending it.  The logic of actually kneeling is twisted enough, but I'd love to see someone struggle with the woke ideas that demand punishment for non-kneelers.