JaneB

Chelsea 4 Juventus 0

Ham   

Not a single academy player for city tonight but that won't give us any additional kudos points.

Equal achievements. 

47 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not a single academy player for city tonight but that won't give us any additional kudos points.

Equal achievements. 

Honestly, the conversation in the 00s/10s used to be about how we didn't bring through our youth players and how virtuous Arsenal, United and (for some reason?) Liverpool were compared to us. We only "bought" success and all that nonsense. John Terry conveniently forgotten.

Now we have more youth playing regularly than any of our rivals, the likes of which a top tier team in this league hasn't seen since United of 90s/00s and it doesn't feel like it quite gets shouted from the rooftops the same way.

I suppose it's a compliment to our boys. They fit in so well and seamlessly to this level that they don't get patronised about their places in it.

Ham   
6 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Honestly, the conversation in the 00s/10s used to be about how we didn't bring through our youth players and how virtuous Arsenal, United and (for some reason?) Liverpool were compared to us. We only "bought" success and all that nonsense. John Terry conveniently forgotten.

Now we have more youth playing regularly than any of our rivals, the likes of which a top tier team in this league hasn't seen since United of 90s/00s and it doesn't feel like it quite gets shouted from the rooftops the same way.

I suppose it's a compliment to our boys. They fit in so well and seamlessly to this level that they don't get patronised about their places in it.

What annoys me is that city had two academy players in their squad at the weekend and it was mentioned by the commentators. 

I know it shouldn't but it does. 

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

What annoys me is that city had two academy players in their squad at the weekend and it was mentioned by the commentators. 

Yes there was a moment in their previous league game where Neville was gushing about how "they all seem like clones of each other". I trust to see him as glowing about our boys when they tear his apart on Sunday.

10 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Neville was gushing about how "they all seem like clones of each other". 

Well, that highlights another great thing about our academy...our lads are all very different from each other.

Ham   
15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Last result ended up in a shouting match over Lukaku.  This one is all agreeing about City. 

This forum don't like success .

Maybe that is what football is really all about.

I don't like any other club having success if we can't. That's about it. 

As for last night, I thought the general consensus was that we are an awesome club with an awesome squad. 

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  It is the opposite of a selection headache - it simplifies the job.
2.  What energy? - I haven't seen anyone questioning Alonso's position, or defending it.  The logic of actually kneeling is twisted enough, but I'd love to see someone struggle with the woke ideas that demand punishment for non-kneelers.  

When your only LB is available, but you instead choose a non-LB to play in a LB position, it's a headache of some sort.  

Alonso himself had to give an interview to explain his stance on taking the knee. Thomas Tuchel also had to explain the player's decision. That is PR energy being spent, anyway you look at it. And whatever we may think, when the camera turns on Alonso, the matter won't go away. There are players who don't like it but do it anyway to save having to deal with the press. 

Edited by Blue Rod

I seem to recall during the euros that the majority of teams did NOT take the knee. There didn't seem to be a media outcry or finger pointing then, and more the point it didn't give England any woke brownie points at all. We were still called racist. 

• Like 1

paulw66   
10 hours ago, Ham said:

10 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Yes there was a moment in their previous league game where Neville was gushing about how "they all seem like clones of each other". I trust to see him as glowing about our boys when they tear his apart on Sunday.

To be fair to BT, in the post match stuff, Rio and Hargreaves said, "there were 4 academy players on the pitch, but it's so common now, you don't even flinch" or words to that effect. They were very praiseworthy. On YouTube, if anyone interested. 

9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

. There are players who don't like it but do it anyway to save having to deal with the press. 

Which underlines the pointlessness of it all. Players(most) too petrified not to do it, and so it becomes for show only, with no concrete benefit to anyone.