JaneB

Chelsea 4 Juventus 0

Recommended Posts

Blue Rod   
4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I seem to recall during the euros that the majority of teams did NOT take the knee. There didn't seem to be a media outcry or finger pointing then, and more the point it didn't give England any woke brownie points at all. We were still called racist. 

I can't really argue with you about the usefulness of it, if any at all. What I do know is, it was such a massive PR headache, bordering on a complete disaster, for clubs, PL and the FA, the England team, in the summer, until those three agreed the current position, which is basically a fudge. The last thing any club, FA, or PL executive needs right now is to have to address any questions on the subject. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

 

To be fair to BT, in the post match stuff, Rio and Hargreaves said, "there were 4 academy players on the pitch, but it's so common now, you don't even flinch" or words to that effect. They were very praiseworthy. On YouTube, if anyone interested.  

Fair enough, I'll take a look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
6 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I can't really argue with you about the usefulness of it, if any at all. What I do know is, it was such a massive PR headache, bordering on a complete disaster, for clubs, PL and the FA, the England team, in the summer, until those three agreed the current position, which is basically a fudge. The last thing any club, FA, or PL executive needs right now is to have to address any questions on the subject. 

On any subject BR......the list just goes on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Honestly, the conversation in the 00s/10s used to be about how we didn't bring through our youth players and how virtuous Arsenal, United and (for some reason?) Liverpool were compared to us. We only "bought" success and all that nonsense. John Terry conveniently forgotten.

Now we have more youth playing regularly than any of our rivals, the likes of which a top tier team in this league hasn't seen since United of 90s/00s and it doesn't feel like it quite gets shouted from the rooftops the same way.

I suppose it's a compliment to our boys. They fit in so well and seamlessly to this level that they don't get patronised about their places in it.

I mean did we ever stop hearing about Wengers Arsenal "kids" back in the day? They were going to be the future of Arsenal , although he only ever risked them in cup games ( which meant they won fec all). Not one of those kids made the grade. All ended up in lower leagues but Wenger was supposed to be this talent spotter genius.

Its taken a while, and perhaps in a way the transfer ban and appointment of Lampard/Morris helped, but what we have achieved here is remarkable. I recall saying during Lampards first season that we could have the equivalent of Uniteds Class of 92 on our hands. I was rather scoffed at, but I'm not sure now that what we have here could be even better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
13 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I mean did we ever stop hearing about Wengers Arsenal "kids" back in the day?

Only Ashley Cole was any good. The rest weren't up to it as soon as the going got tough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I mean did we ever stop hearing about Wengers Arsenal "kids" back in the day? They were going to be the future of Arsenal , although he only ever risked them in cup games ( which meant they won fec all). Not one of those kids made the grade. All ended up in lower leagues but Wenger was supposed to be this talent spotter genius.

To be fair Wenger did actually play his kids a lot.    Of all our kids post JT I think only Huth got a lot of games when young, and he was pretty much pulling his weight, and then Mikel the same later.
Even now only RLC can be said to have been given a lot of games before he was ready (leaving aside whether he is ready now).

So for example a young Johan Djourou was given 84 appearances before Wenger decided he wouldn't make it.  Wilshire played about 140 games as an U21 - did he ever justify that investment?  Off the top of my head - but there really were dozens like that.  Very very few of them turned into Fabregas.

So thanks for that Arsene.    Mount & James never played for Chelsea until they were ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Only Ashley Cole was any good. The rest weren't up to it as soon as the going got tough 

Then Ashley got tough and soon he was going...  

He was very very good, England starting FB at the WC at 21.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Only Ashley Cole was any good. The rest weren't up to it as soon as the going got tough 

Ashley wasn't one of the Wenger "Kids". They were 16 and 17 tear olds and no one can remember there names now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

To be fair Wenger did actually play his kids a lot.    Of all our kids post JT I think only Huth got a lot of games when young, and he was pretty much pulling his weight, and then Mikel the same later.
Even now only RLC can be said to have been given a lot of games before he was ready (leaving aside whether he is ready now).

So for example a young Johan Djourou was given 84 appearances before Wenger decided he wouldn't make it.  Wilshire played about 140 games as an U21 - did he ever justify that investment?  Off the top of my head - but there really were dozens like that.  Very very few of them turned into Fabregas.

So thanks for that Arsene.    Mount & James never played for Chelsea until they were ready.

After we broke up the duopoly of United and Arsenal with Roman era, Wenger decided to take the moral high ground try and prove that his academy kids could be groomed for future stardom and show us that all we could do was buy titles. Around 2008 he made a quote which was something like " in 10 years time everyone will be astounded at how many of these kids will be superstars" . Specifically these were academy kids players ...these future superstars had names such as Matt Macey, Ben Ahead, Eddie Nketiah, How Willcock, Josh Dasilva, Reid's Nelson, Chris Willcock, Jeff Rein Adelaide ...to name a few. 10 years later the dream was over and the experiment a complete failure. Thanks Professor Wenger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now