JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 1

Disappointing but not surprising, we just needed Ole to not get sacked for one more week.

Change of effort and change of fortune for them.

Don't quite know what to make of us.  

Chilwell and Kante big misses that is for sure.

16 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

There must be a stat of how many goals we've scored with Werner on the pitch vs off it. I'd be interested to see.

I don't think Timo would be interested in seeing it. JFH on Sky has been very critical of Werners performance and tbh Jimmy knows.  Its just a lack of talent not of effort. All our eggs are in a Lukaku shaped basket. That is a worry for me...its not a worry for everyone clearly, but it makes me apprehensive. 

Jasonb   

Felt Werner should have come off earlier.

CHO and Ziyech also missing chances.

Positives we could have lost and a point keeps us top, also Lukaku looks like he is fit enough to get more minutes

So frustrating. Burnley were a better, less cynical and more courageous side. That was the better of the two points we've got from those games.

Loftus-Cheek was quietly terrible. Within 30 seconds it was obvious Utd were going to target him when he had possession, and he obliged by slowing things down and taking too much time/many touches every single time. He is not a bad player, but he is not anything close to a Kante replacement, and in nature as well as quality. One of very few criticisms I have of Tuchel in 10 months or so of being here is that he let that carry on until basically the end of the game. If Mount plays there, I think we're ahead at half time and the game is drastically different. Every transition broke down immediately on going through him.

Burnley felt like one of those things that happens even to title winners. This felt like what we've done far too often for about 5 years now. 2 points thrown away.

Edited by thevelourfog

Strange. I thought we played really well, just didn't take our chances. Not that much difference to the Leicester or Juventus games, other than not being clinical enough.

Let's get it right, we completely and utterly dominated them and the only threat they posed was counter attacking from our corners.

They played with 10 men behind the ball with no interest in engaging in a game of football.

Ziyech absolutely outrageous again. 2 performances in a row that are up there with anything I have seen in recent times, in terms of his control of the football. Astonishing.

Edited by Martin1905

Leo91   

I thought De Gea's save was very good vs CHO's second effort on reflection. If we had Liverpool's front three today it wouldn't have been a question. Our pressing and was excellent today, Wan Bissaka was exposed numerous times and we never capitalised. 

7 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don't think Timo would be interested in seeing it. JFH on Sky has been very critical of Werners performance and tbh Jimmy knows.  Its just a lack of talent not of effort. All our eggs are in a Lukaku shaped basket. That is a worry for me...its not a worry for everyone clearly, but it makes me apprehensive. 

Timo has been given enough chances and sadly there isn't the slightest sign of him improving from the player we saw last season. 

We had been doing well with Havertz up top, so all is not lost.

Btw. That's 2 points from 3 games against last season's top 3. Not really title contending stuff is it.

Bison   
16 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Timo has been given enough chances and sadly there isn't the slightest sign of him improving from the player we saw last season. 

We had been doing well with Havertz up top, so all is not lost.

Btw. That's 2 points from 3 games against last season's top 3. Not really title contending stuff is it.

That was the standard Werner game. It doesn't matter if he's working his way back from injury or at peak fitness, that was Werner as he is almost all of the time. 

A performance of no technical quality whatsoever, snatches at every opportunity and creates virtually nothing for himself or others.

Really hard to believe he has made it this far considering he doesn't have an ounce of skill in his game. There is nothing skilful about the way he receives or runs with the ball, can't take players on, no finesse in his shooting etc.

• Like 3

31 pages already - at least it has roused the punters.  Juve stopped at 17, even the Burnley draw stopped at 20.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Strange. I thought we played really well, just didn't take our chances. Not that much difference to the Leicester or Juventus games, other than not being clinical enough.

Let's get it right, we completely and utterly dominated them and the only threat they posed was counter attacking from our corners.

They played with 10 men behind the ball with no interest in engaging in a game of football.

Yes.  xG on Sky was something like our standard 2.5 - 0.8, so almost as good as the Burnley, Newcastle and Norwich games.  

For a team that apparently always gives cheap points away we are doing well to be top of the Prem.

It looked suprisingly easy to the players.  At one point after a corner Silva decided to hassle the keeper from kicking freely rather than run back to our half.  At another James was in their area doing up his laces while De Gea was taking a goal kick.
On about 30 mins they seemed to put up a fight.  I think Fernandes dropped back into midfield while Fred and McTominay went hunting for the ball instead of being the 3 man guard of honour for their CBs.  It was promising because it might have lead to a more open game.  But unfortunately we soon comprehensively out muscled them and they went back to their 6-1-1-2 formation.

I thought the high Garry Owen was a good idea, possibly planned.  A fumble was the only way they could break out with all 10 in their own box.  Well executed plan.

The last minute Rudiger chance should have fallen to James's right foot but Rudiger was so eager he found himself there and James dropped back to cover him.  Pity, James would have had half a chance.

3 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Ziyech absolutely outrageous again. 2 performances in a row that are up there with anything I have seen in recent times, in terms of his control of the football. Astonishing.

Pity only you and me noticed.  Star man by a mile from either side.  Quite how a Man U midfielder won Motm when Ziyech dropped off their CBs and did WTF he wanted, I don't know.
Essentially he played the Mount role today and clearly loved it.  He has been unlucky to arrive in the prem at precisely the same time and at the same club that Mount did.

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Half the forum predicted that.   (Jorginho)

Half the forum reckon it happens twice a game.

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

He’s been good today, it’s just the horrible mistake. RLC, Werner and Alonso have been poor today. 

Yes, Jorginho was good but the one mistake.  Those three were disappointing.   Werner is not the man to play against a back 6 sitting on their own 6-yard line.  Great when you are a goal up and counterattacking (hence probably someones comment about him being better as sub).  

40 minutes ago, Ham said:

Surprised by the negativity on here. That was a brilliant performance bar 10 minutes at the start of the second half. If we'd taken our chances we'd all be lauding a magnificent 3-1 win.  

Given the stats, how on earth did McTominay get motm? He was bypassed and dispossessed constantly. Carragher really hates us. 

Jorginho was decent apart from one error. 

Timo. Jesus H Christ. 

That performance by United was right up there, in terms of tactics and possession, with Hereford beating Leeds. Their goal was right out of the conference. 

No but yes, yes yes.  The negativity is no more than standard, less so probably.

32 minutes ago, chelboy said:

CHO and Werner should score those chances. Forwards let us down today. RLC kept trying to drive against 3 dm’s. It was pretty obvious it wasn’t going to work from the first 10 mins. Werner against teams that sit deep is just pointless. May as well try Alonso there or Kepa. 

Yes and yes.
RLC was a big disappointment, especially as we were going forward all game.  Werner came back for the wrong game (and the wrong scoreline  - coming on t 3-0 against Juve with 20 to go was perfect for him).