JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 1

Just now, Blue Rod said:

Quite a few similarities in our performance against Burnley and Man Utd. We missed early chance(s)in both, then instead of stepping up, from there,  we seemed to "settle down". Settling down is for the team hoping to come away with a draw. You ramp it up and unsettle them instead. We didn't seem in a hurry to do that in either game. 

Agreed, it feels like the reaction is one of "we are doing well, let's keep going, it will come eventually" instead of "the goal isn't coming we need to step up a gear, what if the opposition get a chance, let's not leave it too late to recover". We need to build that anxiety into ourselves instead of waiting for the 80th minute. In both games we naively fell into traps of time wasting as well from the first half. 

Looking at the Burnley, Juventus and United games, they were all similar. We camped in the opposition half and had them on the ropes for most of the games. One ends 4-0, the others end 1-1. Leicester and Newcastle probably gave us more of a game relatively speaking and those games ended in easy 3-0 wins, it just shows how crucial getting the 2nd goal is regardless of how in control the game seems. 

One thing we haven't been good at under Tuchel (even going back to last season) is recovering from a setback in a game. Going behind or conceding an equaliser means we most often will not end up winning. We are defensively near immaculate, but when we are breached we drop points. The only exception was Southampton, when the red card saved us and last season the City away game when Aguero gave Mendy catching practice for the pen. 

Other than those I think we have conceded points when going behind or being equalised on. Just looked it up and the only other one, we recovered from a Sheffield United equaliser with a penalty.

Floyd25   

Don’t really understand Loftus-Cheek, was a big supporter of his pre Sarri and especially under Sarri, but maybe it’s his mentality. Tuchel demands more from him, gives him a start and he just doesn’t perform, odd, would love to see his best form back but not sure that’ll happen. 

Ro61   

When I saw the lineup in midfield I feared the worst.I think Ruben has blown it (and not for the first time) - too  often he runs down blind allyways without any guile to creat space for himself,he's had enough chances imo.

Jorginho without Kante or Kova, or someone to do the leg work for him is flaccid and looks a liability.

Zeyech played reasonably well against an awful manu team but at least he looks as if he wants to play now. Werner...dear o dear,I really like the guy and his energy,but the goal must look the size of matchbox  to him.

I'm hugely optimistic we're top of the league,but I think we're just not there with the likes of Liverpool and City in the long term but we're not far behind.

Blue Rod   
11 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Agreed, it feels like the reaction is one of "we are doing well, let's keep going, it will come eventually" instead of "the goal isn't coming we need to step up a gear, what if the opposition get a chance, let's not leave it too late to recover". We need to build that anxiety into ourselves instead of waiting for the 80th minute. In both games we naively fell into traps of time wasting as well from the first half. 

Looking at the Burnley, Juventus and United games, they were all similar. We camped in the opposition half and had them on the ropes for most of the games. One ends 4-0, the others end 1-1. Leicester and Newcastle probably gave us more of a game relatively speaking and those games ended in easy 3-0 wins, it just shows how crucial getting the 2nd goal is regardless of how in control the game seems. 

One thing we haven't been good at under Tuchel (even going back to last season) is recovering from a setback in a game. Going behind or conceding an equaliser means we most often will not end up winning. We are defensively near immaculate, but when we are breached we drop points. The only exception was Southampton, when the red card saved us and last season the City away game when Aguero gave Mendy catching practice for the pen. 

Other than those I think we have conceded points when going behind or being equalised on. Just looked it up and the only other one, we recovered from a Sheffield United equaliser with a penalty.

True. 

Our plan A would win us most games or at least give us control of the match. But to win a PL title, we do need to have a plan B ready at hand and deploy it on time. And if we don't have plan B, we need to be prepared to ramp up plan A. We don't seem to be doing either. 

• Like 1

chelboy   

People going in a bit hard on RLC. He was poor no doubt but don’t think he completely blew his chance. He’s been good this season. This is his first really poor performance. He has been solid in nearly every game so far. 

34 minutes ago, Bison said:

I'm watching Match of the Day now. Watford's striker Dennis looks head and shoulders technically better than Werner. In terms of actual skill, Werner can't do half of the things I've just watched Dennis do. He cost Watford 4m. 

I watch players like Diogo Jota and just think why couldn’t we get a lucky bargain like that? When they signed Jota over Werner many raised their eyebrows and even pool fans were questioning it but really it was a very smart decision. Jota is far more suited to the PL than Werner will ever be imo. Werner is a bit too limited to play in leagues like Serie A, La Liga or the PL. Bundesliga is the only top league I can see him performing at a high level. 

Blue Rod   
41 minutes ago, Ham said:

It's all very well breaking things down into little compartments for forensic scrutiny but had CHO, Timo and Rudi put those chances away you'd all be gushing over a dominant win.

The game is more fluid. A few days ago we were world beaters. 

Today was an excellent performance against a team who had no interest in competing and we still managed to break them down time and again. 

My point is not so much that we failed to win. It's more about us not changing pace, intensity or tactics even as things are not going as planned. If we tried all that and still failed to win, then it's a different matter.

It's like saying, we are so confident that everything we are doing is so right, and if we don't win it playing that way, too bad; we don't need to change anything during the course of the game. 

18 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Don’t really understand Loftus-Cheek, was a big supporter of his pre Sarri and especially under Sarri, but maybe it’s his mentality. Tuchel demands more from him, gives him a start and he just doesn’t perform, odd, would love to see his best form back but not sure that’ll happen. 

All its taken is one  poor performance and some are saying he's blown it,  while Werner get starts after countless dire performances. What should never happen again is Loftus playing as a 6 in a 2 man midfield. TT should have known this was the  wrong set-up for Loftus.

2 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

My point is not so much that we failed to win. It's more about us not changing pace, intensity or tactics even as things are not going as planned. If we tried all that and still failed to win, then it's a different matter.

It's like saying, we are so confident that everything we are doing is so right, and if we don't win it playing that way, too bad; we don't need to change anything during the course of the game. 

Really?  in recent games we have had a whole set of tactics to employ as teh game went on and opponents sat deeper and deeper.
Plan A through to Plan Z as WBs, then one of the CMs go further forward, then one then a second CB joins Jorginho's level.  In some games we switched Silva and Christensen at the deepest level to get Silva playing higher.  We switch WBs and wingers on one or both sides.  The front three all pull out and get replaced by others.  We go long we go through the middle we go wide and we switch from side to side.  We speed up play.

The only reason we did not see this all develop through the first 60 mins as it did against say Malmo Norwich or Newcastle, is because Man U started off in full reverse and only attempted to play for about 5 mins (on 30) and the first 10m of H2.  We were playing Plan Z from 3 mins in.

A couple of players were poor, one of which isn't suited to this type of game and the other isn't suited to that position.  Jorginho and Mendy made huge errors and one of them got punished.  But tactics there were a plenty.

Ro61   
3 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I agree,but I think we were missing players that would have made all the difference.

The good thing is we had most of the ball,the bad thing is we played without style or rhythm,like a pianist playing with one hand...a nice enough sound but  far from being fluent.

Ro61   
11 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

All its taken is one  poor performance and some are saying he's blown it,  while Werner get starts after countless dire performances. What should never happen again is Loftus playing as a 6 in a 2 man midfield. TT should have known this was the  wrong set-up for Loftus.

I think ''blown it'' was a bit harsh, but he is so frustrating.He plays well in spurts and then looks completely amateurish.He looks like a player that needs constantly coached like someone from the academy unlike a fully fledged professional footballer at a top team he should be.