JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 1

38 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Usually it's Kante that would have dealt with that ball that led to Manutd goal. In the absence of Kante, then RLC should have stood there instead. Whoever asked Jorginho to take that role should put their hands up.

Well that was the point I was raising - but from the opposite pov.  That Garry Owen was a nightmare for any player, slow or fast.  Arguably a natural defender might have just headed it back instead of controlling it (rather him than me).  Arguably that would have been the wrong thing to do in this game at 0-0.

40 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I don't want or sound rude, but I do sense a bit of unhelpful cockiness about Tuchel - like, "it's  all about the luck of football; sometimes you play like that and you win, other times you don't", same comments as after the Burnley game. I'm sorry, but once you realise you've got a selection wrong, you should be bold enough to rectify it early. We can leave the philosophy for much later.

To be fair he was just as philosophical as after the Brentford rubbish performance.  These things do happen.  We have been very fortunate, in games we could have won we have given up 4 out of 24 points.  In games we should have lost (Liverpool, City, Brentford) we have picked up 4 points we didn't deserve -  just medals for bravery under fire at Anfield.

In converting performances into points TT has been very successful.

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I think he just made a mistake, perhaps a bit of over-confidence, and deserves criticism for that. I don't buy, at all, that of the options it was an issue having him in that role rather than someone else.

Usually it's Kante in that role. Tbh I can't see who else you would slot in there without affecting the attacking options. Unfortunately it just goes to showcase Jorginho's shortcomings. It's a hell of a criticism of a creative midfielder that he provides no attacking threat and can't be trusted to defend in his own. Like I harp on all the time. He stands on the shoulders of others.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Usually it's Kante in that role. Tbh I can't see who else you would slot in there without affecting the attacking options. Unfortunately it just goes to showcase Jorginho's shortcomings. It's a hell of a criticism of a creative midfielder that he provides no attacking threat and can't be trusted to defend in his own. Like I harp on all the time. He stands on the shoulders of others.

The bit in bold is complete nonsense. Jorginho really obviously plays a big role in many of the chances we create, and absolutely no one can be "trusted" to defend on their own, least of all your average "creative midfielder".

He miscontrolled the ball at a particularly bad time. It's a mistake and was his mistake, no doubt about it.

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I just see him as a decent to good player who's neat and tidy on the ball but with a serious lack of pace. 

Funny how easily I can see when the likes of  James, Rudi, Alonso, Chilwell, Kante, Silva have great games, but never Jorginho. Again, neat and tidy but very little that ever catches the eye as something special.

SabCFC   
20 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I just see him as a decent to good player who's neat and tidy on the ball but with a serious lack of pace. 

Funny how easily I can see when the likes of  James, Rudi, Alonso, Chilwell, Kante, Silva have great games, but never Jorginho. Again, neat and tidy but very little that ever catches the eye as something special.

He's a world class player in a position that isn't about pace (ask Busquets), it's about technique and brains (rewatch the RLC performance to understand the brains part). It's why journalists and other players just voted him 3rd in the Ballon d'Or, an award famously biased towards strikers so clearly his performances caught the eyes of a lot of people.

Leicester, Juventus, United .. there, 3 top performances in the past week alone.

Blue Rod   

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned that Jorginho didn't want to head the ball, possibly for fear of dementia 🤔 

To say he miscontrolled the ball is giving him credit where it's not due. He made a complete hash of it. Once he'd decided he didn't want to head it,  he should have stepped back, eye on the ball, and a volley back where it came from, or into the stands.

Volleying a ball from that distance is never a walk in the park. But you're not volleying to a target, you're sending it to wherever the winds take it. 

Frank Leboeuf never liked heading the ball. But he made up his mind about what to do before it arrived. Jorginho's problem was that he left it late to decide what to do. In the end, what he attempted (if I can use that word) was something out of a Charlie Chaplin's book of football techniques.  

Edited by Blue Rod

13 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned that Jorginho didn't want to head the ball, possibly for fear of dementia 🤔 

To say he miscontrolled the ball is giving him credit where it's not due. He made a complete hash of it. Once he'd decided he didn't want to head it,  he should have stepped back, eye on the ball, and a volley back where it came from, or into the stands.

Volleying a ball from that distance is never a walk in the park. But you're not volleying to a target, you're sending it to wherever the winds take it. 

Frank Leboeuf never liked heading the ball. But he made up his mind about what to do before it arrived. Jorginho's problem was that he left it late to decide what to do. In the end, what he attempted (if I can use that word) was something out of a Charlie Chaplin's book of football techniques.  

I praised him recently for being a better player than I thought, but what he tried  to do was just being too cocky. He couldnt even shift blame either. Even if he had brought it down Ronaldinho style he still would have needed to evade two united players approaching rapidly. 

For goodness sake, let's give the bloke a break. He's done more than enough since he joined to earn everyone's respect. He made a mistake, and paid for it. He then stepped up to take a superb penalty to rescue the game. Guts.

Jorginho made a bloomer , true , but he's been absolutely fantastic for us for ages now , I think we can give him that one , we normally  play better with him in the team than not in my opinion , lets be honest if the players up front had done better in their jobs it wouldn't have been an issue anyway .

Holymoly   
9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

For goodness sake, let's give the bloke a break. He's done more than enough since he joined to earn everyone's respect.

He doesn't defend, he doesn't shoot, he doesn't carry the ball,  he doesn't head the ball and most damning of all he doesn't chase back when he's made a howler attempting to control the ball. What he does do is pass the ball around in midfield, but that only works effectively when the rest of the team are on it. Basically he never puts his head above the parapet but hides behind the performance of others. Forgive me for not elevating him into superstar status.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.