JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 1

15 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

The two managers were in their positions for more that 51 years, it total. 2 managers of nearly 50% of the last 110 years!

I don't find it strange at all - I find it to be pretty sensible. Their trophy cabinet is the proof.

Are you suggesting their combined longevity was the reason they won so many titles? Surely it's the other way around... they stayed in post because they were winning!

United seemed to be close to sacking Ferguson when he won his first trophy (FA Cup in 89/90 which they won 1-0 in a replayed final against Palace) and even up until he won the first PL title three seasons later, United's form had been inconsistent and rumours continued about his suitability for the job.

Another 25 years of OGS would never have delivered another title. Managers stay in their job if they're fulfilling the ambitions of the club, otherwise they're out. I find that pretty sensible.

48 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

The two managers were in their positions for more that 51 years, it total. 2 managers of nearly 50% of the last 110 years!

I don't find it strange at all - I find it to be pretty sensible. Their trophy cabinet is the proof.

Even so, that still leaves 60 years when they haven't won the title (or European Cup/ CL} without an alltime great in charge.  

Edited by boratsbrother

asvaberg   
34 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Are you suggesting their combined longevity was the reason they won so many titles? Surely it's the other way around... they stayed in post because they were winning!

"and/or" - just facts, actually. And the policy of firing managers was a bit different in those days - I know.

asvaberg   
51 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

And now what? 

Nothing new. Just my own meaning.

paulw66   
16 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Nothing new. Just my own meaning.

but the problem with having such long serving coaches is how you then react to it thereafter.........United and Arsenal are two modern examples where the stability worked (to a degree for Arsenal) but has gone to pot once they have tried to move on. 

asvaberg   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

but the problem with having such long serving coaches is how you then react to it thereafter.........United and Arsenal are two modern examples where the stability worked (to a degree for Arsenal) but has gone to pot once they have tried to move on. 

Absolutely correct. It's a risk. In Norway we have a saying (coming from a fairytale):

"The seveth father of the house"

Sorry for the very bad language here, but..............

Edited by asvaberg

chara   
On 11/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, chara said:

Please...no complacency..on here or at SB....a wounded animal etc..... all the above comments are spot on but Manure are not relegation audition candidates and still have to be beaten on the pitch...we tend to forget how high the standards are in the EPL and anything less than 100% effort against even the strugglers is flirting with disaster...case in point with Manure at Watford......

If the form horse/team always won the bookies would be out of business I suspect.

I do hope Chelsea smash them...but always do....

Perhaps I should post this warning every day this week....I see complacency creeping in all over the match forums.......this is not a Fantasy League match up.....Ronaldo still scores good/great goals...he may not press ete etc but one good strike..for example is all he ..and Taylor..need!......DO NOT DISMISS EVERY MANURE PLAYER !!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  
There was post JM mkI a definite club attempt at mending fences with the refs.  Probably because until around CA, the refs were so incredibly biased against us that it couldn't be allowed to last.
And when Poll had his ridiculous game (Spurs) when he sent of JT and ignored multiple straight reds for Spurs, something must have happened behnd the scenes as England's top ref retired early a few months later.  Clattenberg also retired early after the spurs riot (where the touchline Police should have intervened - at least after the game with criminal charges).  

So while as a fan I would have liked a more public defence of our team by Buck and co, I suspect a lot has happened behind the scenes.
And since Conte the bias has been marginal IMO - of course a major factor there is that we have never been favourites to win the title at the start of the season (except possibly 15/16 ironically)

On Clattenberg, I was always shocked at the idea (oft mentioned at the time) that Clattenberg could not possibly be racist given his role as a referee and owner of a private business, while JT, Captain and leader of England and Chelsea could.

I always got the feeling we may have tried a ‘political’ approach, sometimes with bullies you just have to take the metaphorical ‘smack them before they smack you’ approach. 

Nothing would surprise me about Clattenburg, unpalatable sort of character. He left the PL to go to a lead role in refereeing in the Emirates or somewhere in that neck of the woods - chasing a big fat tax-free salary, if memory serves me correctly.

paulw66   
20 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

would take a 1-0 win!

All day. although I watched the highlights of their game last night, and they were porous again at the back and had De Gea and some poor finishing to thank for winning the game.