JaneB

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 1

paulw66   
27 minutes ago, didierforever said:

I think people are severely underestimating United and the squad. 

It has not even been a season since Rudi and alonso were frozen out of the team with the former being linked to arsenal. As of this moment, Rudi is one of the mainstays in the team and one of the best CBs in the world. 

We looked bang average less than an year ago and the same squad looks good enough to do a quadruple this season. 

Most of us had United in the title race after getting 2 world class players and a potential super star in Sancho. Most of us would have killed for a similar transfer window. 

Go through their squad, and ask yourself, who would you buy? Not necessarily if you were Chelsea, but even City, Liverpool, RM, Bayern etc.....  

I certainly would not have killed for us signing a 36 year old CF, however good he is at finishing. 

Yes, we were bang average a year ago, but with a very young core of the squad. They don't have that

35 minutes ago, didierforever said:

We looked bang average less than an year ago and the same squad looks good enough to do a quadruple this season.  

Exactly.  But that's because we have a squad who are the right ages, have reached a certain level and more or less we have removed all the deadwood.

Any decent manager could have turned us around last year albeit not to CL winning standard.*  No decent manager has a chance with the Man u squad for 2 or 3 years.

*A canal.  Panama

paulw66   
20 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

They were making slow but steady progress but the Ronaldo signing has thrown a spanner in the works. Yes he's scoring goals but his signing  has undoubtably effected their overall team performances.

the Ronaldo signing caused Ole a huge problem. Expectations went from a season of progress, to a season where he had to win one of the big trophies. 

VA96   
50 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Could we recall Livramento to help bolster the right wing back options? Or is that getting ahead of ourselves a bit. 

We sold him didn't loan him - have a £25m buyback on him so can't recall. Wouldn't be surprised if that buy back clause couldn't be exercised until a certain period as well to allow development/stop a loophole of clubs selling and buying back at end of season to get around the 1 player per club loan rule 

Chilwell out, obviously, as are Kovacic and Kanté

"If you ask Romelu if he is ready to start he will tell you yes" but then goes on to say being OK to train is different to being OK to start and being OK to start is different to being able to play for 90 minutes. Because of only having 3 subs in the PL, Tuchel says Lukaku will be on the bench.

Edited by Bob Singleton

Diddymen   
11 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Chilwell out, obviously, as are Kovacic and Kanté

just to add. Club hope to reassess Chilwell's injury in 6 weeks. they hope surgery will not be needed

No time given on Kova's injury. (must have been a serious one)

Kante will be out for a week.

TT didn't give any injury news on Havertz

Edited by Diddymen

Sciatika   

Presumably, it will be Jorge and RLC in the middle and Alonso on the left.

SabCFC   

I'm surprised at the Chilwell news. I wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't think there are many cases of ACL partial tears not needing surgery - I follow other sports, mainly NBA & NFL, and I can remember Kawhi being in a similar rehab treatment but he still ended up needing the surgery and being out for 6 months. 

One case that could be similar is a 49ers player K'Waun Williams who had an ACL sprain and it was described as a rare, rare case of not needing surgery, he was out for just 3 weeks.

So let's see but I think we need to be cautious really.

The good news is that I believe we'll find out the reports of the demise of Marcos "played LWB in Italy, with Conte & Tuchel for years" Alonso are greatly exaggerated:

FFHYU3fWYAEHZ5y.thumb.jpg.bfcc09335ba2af95827a28c30e67da4e.jpg

Big issue in midfield with both Kovacic/Kanté out and Jorginho playing so many minutes in recent weeks. Although if there's one game where we can compensate for a weaker midfield it better be against United rather than a team with a top midfield. RLC will need to be disciplined, do the simple things well which means more passing, less slaloming. United is still a threat on the counter, on good or bad form.

Edited by SabCFC