Sign in to follow this  
My Blood Is Blue

Reece James

Incredibly this guy doesn't have his own topic yet, so here we are... how good is this guy?! 

I didn't watch all or even that much of the England game last night, but from what I saw and what I've read, he pretty much ran the game for England, from the RWB position. It's so funny seeing so many people outside of Chelsea finally realising and accepting just what a talent he is. For me, with blue-tinted glasses on and with blue-tinted glasses off, James is the best RB and RWB in the country right now and I'd argue not too many better than him in world football either. Add to that, he is only 21... he will still get better and that is a scary thought for everyone outside of Chelsea.

Not wanting to brag, but I am very smug as I called it a few years ago after seeing his early months at Wigan... I said that this kid would be the stand out of his generation from the Chelsea youth teams. He just had that something about him and was head and shoulders above anyone else in that Wigan team and the same for most of the opponents he came up against too. I just knew he was going to make it. I honestly think he has a higher ceiling than any of the other youngsters we have at the club.

Finally... I think he's a future Chelsea captain.

I agree. He's an exceptional talent. It's probably a good thing that the media all fawn over TAA the way they do.

I remember seeing a YouTube compilation of his season at Wigan which showed he had everything. I'm so pleased he's established himself with us. He looks to have the ability to play RB, RWB, RCB and DM.

This might be the highlights video I saw:

https://youtu.be/9wVFd_Rz36Y

Edited by Backbiter

45 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I agree. He's an exceptional talent. It's probably a good thing that the media all fawn over TAA the way they do.

Yes, exceptional talent, but not brilliant yet.  Positionally Alonso and Azpi play that WB role a lot better (Azpi without the same crossing and finishing)  though James does seem to be learning.
In particular they know the benefit of reaching the by-line rather than just putting curve on the early cross.
He is 22 next month, an attacking WB might be expected to be close to his best going forward soon.

Which begs 2 questions.  His weight - how long can he play the WB role without losing quite a few kilos?
And should he be looking at other positions RCB or DM/playmaker where his weight is more appropriate and his passing skills will get rewarded but will require more experience and where his defensive skills will have to evolve.

In other words I am sure he will be a great player for us, but just not quite yet, and I'm not sure where.
Perhaps he'll end up as a utility player adding huge value and never getting full credit for it.

1 hour ago, Cheatedagain said:

Must be close to being best RWB in world football ( although Liverpool supporters and Liverpool connections won't have it)

Has Southgate realised how good this guy is? Or will he still think that TAA or Trippier are better

Yup. Easily close to the best rwb in the world.

Bison   
On 13/11/2021 at 1:48 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Yes, exceptional talent, but not brilliant yet.  Positionally Alonso and Azpi play that WB role a lot better (Azpi without the same crossing and finishing)  though James does seem to be learning.
In particular they know the benefit of reaching the by-line rather than just putting curve on the early cross.
He is 22 next month, an attacking WB might be expected to be close to his best going forward soon.

Which begs 2 questions.  His weight - how long can he play the WB role without losing quite a few kilos?
And should he be looking at other positions RCB or DM/playmaker where his weight is more appropriate and his passing skills will get rewarded but will require more experience and where his defensive skills will have to evolve.

In other words I am sure he will be a great player for us, but just not quite yet, and I'm not sure where.
Perhaps he'll end up as a utility player adding huge value and never getting full credit for it.

I can see definitely see him transitioning to RCB. It is a role he is very familiar with having played there through the youth ranks.

Few years back I called him the best crosser we had, he actually seems to do less of that now as he cuts in more often but undoubtedly a top top talent

29 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Week in week out he is putting in top performances at the moment and for me he is ahead of TAA and most other RBs in world football right now.

This month he has.
Start of the season he wasn't.
And Hats off to Azpi and Alonso for showing Chilwell and James how to play the role properly, start high and aim for the by line or to get to the pen spot if the cross is coming from the other side.  When Azpi came on last night it was 71st min, and 3-0 and he still played further up the pitch than either James or Chilwell had.

James has learnt and is a much more effective WB now that he was even 4 weeks ago.  Which means he has gone from extremely good to even better (I suspect TT has been very clever here).

Imagine James instead of Moses in 2016/17!

On 11/20/2021 at 8:59 PM, exiledblue said:

Few years back I called him the best crosser we had, he actually seems to do less of that now as he cuts in more often but undoubtedly a top top talent

Yes - again I think TT has had a word.  he has gone from elegant curled crosses from deep positions that look great to cut-backs from the goal line that look simple but take a lot more effort to get there and are much more effective.  Curled crosses are now only when nothing better is on.
And again Azpi got his sprinting studs out and played a few games at WB to show James how to do it.