JaneB

Watford 1 Chelsea 2

Did well to dig out that result. Players falling like flies. Makeshift midfield. But we found a way and credit to Tuchel for the subs. Mount was back to his best. Havertz was lively. Ziyech running into a streak of form. Really good three points that. 

2 minutes ago, kennypaul said:

be happy when he's replaced by someone who moves a bit quicker and can defend a bit better

Yes, but what if they give nothing in attack?

I'm happy enough to have a player like Alonso as our number number 2 to Chilwell. He adds something different, as shown by his excellent contribution to the first goal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kennypaul said:

be happy when he's replaced by someone who moves a bit quicker and can defend a bit better

Yes, but what if they give nothing in attack?

I'm happy enough to have a player like Alonso as our number number 2 to Chilwell. He adds something different, as shown by his excellent contribution to the first goal.

This time last season we lost to Wolves, surrendering top spot. 

Today we beat Watford, to stay top. 

As scrappy and frustrating as it was, I'm looking at it glass half full!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Well, we won. I can think of many occasions where this would've meant points dropped so I'll take it. Our injuries are really testing us. 

This pretty much sums it up for me. Found it all hard to watch tbh, but we dug deep and got the win. 

• Like 1

Well after the last two games where we looked fantastic but drew, now we have one where we really struggled and won.  Complete reversal.
image.thumb.png.425d4cc12bd938fd272b1247995703de.png

Rough game.  18 vs 16  foul count is very high.  Before this game we were pretty average - 10.23 a game, joint 11th, but fouled a bit more 11.77.
Watford are easily the biggest foulers (13.8 but don't get fouled much).  West Ham up next are low foulers and low fouled.

50/50 possession and 6 shots on target to 4 - we didn't out play Watford at all.  I'd guess they won on xG (when it emerges).
We won because our finishing was OK and their keeper failed to keep out both shots despite getting his hand or hands to them.  I thought the Ziyech goal should have been saved.  Is he their No 2 keeper or are they sharing the job?  Mendy again saved all the savable shots.  Their goal got a fortunate deflection.

6 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm exhausted. 

We need Kova back from injury soon, because Jorgi and Kante can't play twice a week for three months.

Yes, though I'm not sure why Kovacic has to play twice a week for 3 months.  But I'm sure he'll do it willingly.

For 10 mins I thought we had the solution - Chalobah.  We looked so much better as much because RLC and Saul weren't playing CM as because of Chalobah.
And RLC looked so good for that 10 mins, doing some great attacking stuff without being drawn deep as we set up in a kind of 3124 or 3142 with Mount and RLC playing in front of Chalobah but behind the strikers and the WBs playing the lines.  

Alonso played a key role in both goals.  Both were great.  I loved the second not just because we kept good control of the ball.  Not because of a lovely ball by Rudiger to Alonso, not his deft header, not Mount's great cross or Ziyech's very crisp finish.  I loved it because when Rudiger chipped forward to Alonso, Mount had already started his run beyond giving him space beyond his marker to turn and look up.

Diddymen   
19 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

The last time I had this kind of feeling from a player was Bakayoko. 

....and that was also against Watford.

Tough watch that was but we won. Only watched the second half but I thought Ziyech and Silva played well. Shout out to Havertz too, who really worked for the team.

The injuries are a concern and for that reason, I just can’t see us winning the league. hope to be proven wrong of course.

that challenge from Rose on Ziyech was a red card if ever I saw one!

Edited by Diddymen