JaneB

Watford 1 Chelsea 2

10 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Regardless of the injuries, Liverpool's scoring rate is where the difference may lie. They are finding goals far easier to come by than we are. Earlier in the season I was thinking our defense will be more important than that, but the recent games have started to make me nervous. 

The telling difference is Liverpool have Salah and that he  hardly ever gets injured.  They would not win the league if he had an injury which kept him out for most of a season.

Bison   
7 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

Lol. I’m laughing because he’s Nigerian. Called up 3 times when he was in Belgium but didn’t perform well so was dropped. Now he’s on crazy form, he’s likely back in the picture.

Anyway I digress. Given our injury concerns & non-scoring forwards, TT will likely concentrate on greater defensive solidity as platform for wins at least until we get quality back from treatment. 

Dennis looks brilliant. The numbers so far this season back it up: 6 goals & 5 assists in 13 PL appearances. That's an awesome return for 4m, especially considering some teams have guys who cost 10x as much and they regularly look like they have never played football before.

(Nasty injury for Osimhen by the way, scary stuff)

paulw66   
8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I get the positive frame of mind.

But I'm not sure we have had many injuries. 

In the last 3 or 4 weeks, we have been without, for various reasons and different lengths of time: James, Chilwell, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Havertz, Lukaku, Werner, Pulisic and now Chalobah

Just as well we have a big squad. 

Mana   

We are playing West Ham next. We will get crushed if we play like that against them.

Antonio will not be forgiving.

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

The telling difference is Liverpool have Salah and that he  hardly ever gets injured.  They would not win the league if he had an injury which kept him out for most of a season.

Egypt are likely to reach the latter stages of the Afro Cup, so that's covered!

Watford were ready to rough us up. This was the classic "can they do it on a  cold wednesday night at Stoke" type of game. I was hoping for more agression but it seems that both TT and the team were expecting a very different game. They really kicked us up and down the pitch.

I thought Ziyech looked really good in his short time. Looks more willing to take on a challenge and really looks to have "braved" up for the intensity of this league. I was worried at time but he looks determined and more gritty. Love to see it as there is no doubt about the skillset. He is a danger from all angles and all positions on the pitch. Fantastic. 

Pulisic on the other hand. I am getting more and more worried. The high intensity on the ball contribution has been great since day one, but at this stage you expect more. You expect him to be more settled, more aware of his surroundings and so on. But I feel like I a;m looking at the same Pulisic I saw when he first came. I really want him to succeed but he has stagnated. Maybe because of injuries or maybe because his game is too limited to evolve further. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

Bison   
22 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

Watford were ready to rough us up. This was the classic "can they do it on a  cold wednesday night at Stoke" type of game. I was hoping for more agression but it seems that both TT and the team were expecting a very different game. They really kicked us up and down the pitch.

I thought Ziyech looked really good in his short time. Looks more willing to take on a challenge and really looks to have "braved" up for the intensity of this league. I was worried at time but he looks determined and more gritty. Love to see it as there is no doubt about the skillset. He is a danger from all angles and all positions on the pitch. Fantastic. 

Pulisic on the other hand. I am getting more and more worried. The high intensity on the ball contribution has been great since day one, but at this stage you expect more. You expect him to be more settled, more aware of his surroundings and so on. But I feel like I a;m looking at the same Pulisic I saw when he first came. I really want him to succeed but he has stagnated. Maybe because of injuries or maybe because his game is too limited to evolve further. 

The only high intensity on display from Pulisic last night was when he was running after his first touch.

7 minutes ago, Bison said:

The only high intensity on display from Pulisic last night was when he was running after his first touch.

That's a bit unfair.

He tried his best and went full in for that ball into the box by Havertz, knowing he'd take a hit and ended up in the goal instead of the ball.😄

What he desperately needs is a sustained spell where he remains fit and a couple of back to back games where he skins a few defenders and scores or creates a couple of goals.  

bert19   
3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Not a pleasant watch last night despite two neat team goals.

We seemed to miss Jorginho badly in that first half struggling to build any play, was he injured as BBC have him as being on the bench?

Our goal came against the run of play, Alonso neat foot work, Havertz good awareness and unselfishness and Mount for 0-1.

If only Pulisic had shown the same awareness and played Havertz in a second or two earlier to match his clever run for the offside goal eh? 2-0 at that point would have made our night A LOT easier.  Injuries or not, Pulisic seriously needs to buck his ideas up sometimes, his eyes are on the floor when he has great chances to play others in quickly. Frustrating.