JaneB

Watford 1 Chelsea 2

Very fortunate against Watford who looked more alert than their position shows....well done Claudio, they willbe safe.

Saul, cut our loses and send him home, he didn't want to come and it shows, he is taking up a squad place. Bring Gallagher back, one of ours and doing better than Saul

RLC, strangely quiet

Christensen, did nothing to help his contract negotiations

Lukaku cameo, still not convinced he offers anything

Pulisic, I actually thought he was going to be injured by the hoardings, misseing something, maybe its the fear of injury

Alonso, Rudi, Dave and Chalobah all struggled to do their stuff but it can happen

Ziyech, played OK, bet on him to score but so hot and cold

Mount, Havertz and Mendy did well with the latter saving us early on, nothing he could do about the goal

Silva, oozes calmness, if only he were 10 years younger.

43 minutes ago, Cheatedagain said:

nearly everyone on here was worried before kick off about the pairing of RLC and Saul, yet TT didn't see any problem.

Surely he now sees Saul is not cut out for this league, cut his loan and send him on his way.

could we not have played Christenen in midfield alongside RLC? (He's played there for Denmark)also if Jorginho wasn't fit why was he on the bench

This is a silly post, because if you stopped to think of what the answers to your questions might be rather than posing them out of indignation, you might get some answers.

Literally everyone can figure out Tuchel wants to pick Jorginho and Kante and, given the choice, will. So the fact he didn't pick those players suggests he couldn't, really. It isn't uncommon for a player who isn't really fit enough to play to be on the bench anyway ... If Jorginho wasn't there, who else would have been? Literally everyone knows Tuchel doesn't want to pick Saul ... Because he doesn't, and seems to immediately regret it when he does.

What really troubles me about yesterday isn't the individual performance, more what it means for us over a very tricky period of Christmas games, AFCON and the the Club World Cup. Because yesterday showed us, and surely Tuchel, that he has no competent alternative to Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic and that they have to play unless they literally cannot. If you're going to test out your backups ahead of a busy schedule, you do it in the first game of that schedule against nominally weak opposition. Which is what he did. The good news is that he got a definitive answer to any questions he had about who he can trust. The bad news is that it's no one outside of the core 14 or 15 players.

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Because yesterday showed us, and surely Tuchel, that he has no competent alternative to Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic and that they have to play unless they literally cannot.

I thought Chalobah looked lime CM4 already, even for 15 mins.
Part of that was just a refusal to do anything silly, and so the press dropped off and made it easier for us.  RLC and Saul were doing their best to reward the press.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:51 PM, bONes said:

Why so many of these incidents recently?

Scientists say: because of people who have had Covid the illness.  If only they had had the vacc earlier.
Makes sense to me.

On 01/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, bONes said:

Why so many of these incidents recently?

I know someone reckoned it was down to the vaccine; others have suggested Covid. One thing that makes it far more noticeable than in the past is that since the Eriksen incident, protocols have changed so that even if it's in the crowd, rather than on the pitch, the game is stopped and the players go off.  I remember being in the Shed in the mid seventies (playing Newcastle if I recall) and someone some 30 or so yards away was in difficulty. A few stewards and a copper picked him up (one on each leg and one at the shoulders) and just took him out through one of the gates (through which latecomers were still arriving). No idea what happened beyond that, but people were still singing and chanting around him as he was being taken out. Things have changed.

Of course, it could just be the pies!

12 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

The telling difference is Liverpool have Salah and that he  hardly ever gets injured.  They would not win the league if he had an injury which kept him out for most of a season.

Apologies for quoting myself.

Just seen the goals from the Liverpool v Everton game and have to say Liverpool are looking scary good. Even better than when they won the title and CL. So much precision and technical ability at high pace.

chara   

I seem to remember witnessing an incident at Highbury among others...less media attention and pre blanket TV coverage meant far less reporting.......something of a focus point at the moment... not to trivialise a matter of such importance but it is not a "new" thing.

The Havertz "run"....think someone mentioned it but looks to me as if the defender deliberately slowed as Havertz's momentun took him offside....read the situation and reacted well...dangerous but well timed....it's not always "just" bad Chelsea play....the opposition players are trying to win/defend.....

Ro61   

I would use the analogy - we are a car spluttering and off a cylinder.The mechanic knows this and is just waiting on the parts to put things right.

In the mean time we go easy on the car to get the best out of it.I think Thomas is doing his best with what he has available.

Sciatika   

Elite sportsmen always live at the edge of what is physically possible and often cross that boundary into injury. Most play with minor injuries most of the time and pain-killing injections is still quite common (I think). When they retire, they often suffer from all sorts of muscle and bone problems as a knock-on of those injuries. Personally, I am surprised we don't see this more.

VA96   
4 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Elite sportsmen always live at the edge of what is physically possible and often cross that boundary into injury. Most play with minor injuries most of the time and pain-killing injections is still quite common (I think). When they retire, they often suffer from all sorts of muscle and bone problems as a knock-on of those injuries. Personally, I am surprised we don't see this more.

Sorry - what is this in response to? The number of injuries we currently have or the cardiac arrests happening in a short space of time recently?

If the latter, this response doesn't explain the fact it was 3 fans of the general public (Newcastle, Watford, Southampton) and not elite sportsmen