My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

Any team worth their salt with a manager with any understanding whatsoever is going to press us like a heretical martyr and wait for us to fall over ourselves trying to play intricate one touch passes on the edge of our box ,

VA96   
2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’m worried about this, after our Watford performance and given that West Ham have dropped points in the last couple, they will be so up for this, they’ll see the possibility of the upset and with our injuries (and it being an early kick off), I could see it happening.

No idea what the team will be for this, depends on the injuries. The bench could be weak as well.

Hopefully Lukaku can start this, we could really do with him back and finding a goal scoring streak.

Yep - CHO, Jorginho, Werner all played 0 minutes midweek. James was in training on Tuesday but not in the squad yesterday so hopefully just rested? Rom played 20 last night too so a few options there and fresh legs. 

This one could also play into our hands I don't think they'll be a team to sit back at home and hopefully there is space to exploit 

Edited by VA96

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Any team worth their salt with a manager with any understanding whatsoever is going to press us like a heretical martyr and wait for us to fall over ourselves trying to play intricate one touch passes on the edge of our box ,

wow.........

Just now, paulw66 said:

wow.........

Didn't you see the first ten minutes last night Paul? It was an absolute disaster of under hit passes , passes played to marked players , passes played blindly to no-one ,  Pulisic had three touches in two minutes and gave the ball away three times and Alonso  made Pulisic look like Maradona , it was a miracle we didn't concede and testament to how ropey the opposition were.  

paulw66   
12 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Didn't you see the first ten minutes last night Paul? It was an absolute disaster of under hit passes , passes played to marked players , passes played blindly to no-one ,  Pulisic had three touches in two minutes and gave the ball away three times and Alonso  made Pulisic look like Maradona , it was a miracle we didn't concede and testament to how ropey the opposition were.  

I was out last night, but I heard it was pretty poor.

It was one game.

Without Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic.

We're top

We're not terrible.

bert19   
13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Jorginho and Kante back would be nice, with Rom up top. 

I'm guessing Jorgi and Reece risked last night with this game in mind.  I hated every second of last night's game, but if it protected one or two for the coming weeks, then it's probably worth suffering (especially considering we won).  

Hopefully we'll start to see a few returns now.  Because we really need some fresh legs in the side. 

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I’m worried about this, after our Watford performance and given that West Ham have dropped points in the last couple, they will be so up for this, they’ll see the possibility of the upset and with our injuries (and it being an early kick off), I could see it happening.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Certainly Brentford and Watford have shown teams how to play us with a chance of getting a point or 3.  Whereas Burnley and Man U have shown how not to play us while also showing just how incredibly lucky you have to be to get a draw from sitting back.

I'm not so worried about losing the ball in our box as Mark.  The CBs pretty much know well what they are doing.  It it the midfield without Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante I worry about.  Jorginho is just a star, Kovacic has the advantage that he will dribble off in any direction which makes it harder for the press which assumes he wants to go forward, and Kante who will receive the ball 3 yards in front of where the press thinks he will.

After the calm that Chalobah brought to the midfield, the obvious call is for more of the same
James (or Christensen or Azpi) in a DM role, Mount and Ziyech as the next two, who can play more or less advanced according to scoreline, and 2 up top.
I know Watford eased off for that period, but that was partly because no one was sitting on the ball.

It is different if Jorginho or Kovacic is available, but maybe we should try it for Zenit.

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I was out last night, but I heard it was pretty poor.

It was one game.

Without Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic.

We're top

We're not terrible.

I'm not saying we're terrible , I'm saying for the first ten minutes against ropey opposition we were penned inside our area and we're extremely lucky not to concede , Saul and RLC were hopeless together , Pulisic and Alonso couldn't find each other if they'd had laser guided boots on ( for the second game in a row) and decimated with injuries as we are we will be , ahem, Hammered if we don't get a better set up from the off against West Ham .

Watch the game if you recorded it and you'll see where I'm coming form it was awful . 

4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Certainly Brentford and Watford have shown teams how to play us with a chance of getting a point or 3.  Whereas Burnley and Man U have shown how not to play us while also showing just how incredibly lucky you have to be to get a draw from sitting back.

I'm not so worried about losing the ball in our box as Mark.  The CBs pretty much know well what they are doing.  It it the midfield without Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante I worry about.  Jorginho is just a star, Kovacic has the advantage that he will dribble off in any direction which makes it harder for the press which assumes he wants to go forward, and Kante who will receive the ball 3 yards in front of where the press thinks he will.

After the calm that Chalobah brought to the midfield, the obvious call is for more of the same
James (or Christensen or Azpi) in a DM role, Mount and Ziyech as the next two, who can play more or less advanced according to scoreline, and 2 up top.
I know Watford eased off for that period, but that was partly because no one was sitting on the ball.

It is different if Jorginho or Kovacic is available, but maybe we should try it for Zenit.

I completely agree, without 2 of those 3 we struggle in the midfield. Saul was supposed to be the 4th choice for this, but that just isn't an option. RLC is an option against the right opposition, but he has a horrible habit of doing something great and ruining it by doing something bad and giving the ball away... not so much of a problem further up the field but as a 6, it's a nightmare.

Chalobah did well in there as you say, but got that injury and I think Christensen could play there as he has done for Denmark sometimes.

I do think it's a position we need to strengthen soon though and I do believe Rice is the player we should be looking at - as much for now but also with the future in mind when looking at his age.