My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

chelboy   
5 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Maybe we need to re adjust our expectations. 

If we get rid of this trend of poor winter periods then we can challenge/win the league. If we are going to drop levels in the next 6-8 weeks and then try and come back in late Feb then we can forget about winning the league and just become a cup team. 

6 minutes ago, Bison said:

Third best player in the world apparently lol. 

😂😂

Dude probably started to believe his own hype. Absolute BS!!! Him and Rlc as a combo are a train wreck. Look at the 2nd goal. The distance between the defence and the mid is immense. Ng would have easily sussed it out at the edge of the box. Both jorgi and Rlc were in their own little worlds.

• Like 1

Very disappointing especially after leading twice. Opposition are scoring against us now when they were missing at the start of the season. Villa being the prime example.

We were always going to have that period and it appears to be now.

a lot is being said about our goal threat and that is understandable but our issue is gifting soft goals which City and Liverpool are not doing at the moment. 

Long way to go but we need to stay in touch.

Perhaps this defeat will lower expectations and take some pressure off now. 

A comfortable 3rd or 4th (would be OK imo) but clear enough gap between the top two will make TT and the club realise significant changes still need to made.We can't keep fiddling through with a tepid midfield. Lukaku is not and never will be a Premier League title winning  striker. Werner, Puli and a few others playing for their future too.

chelboy   

The amount of posts talking about a player that hasnt started a PL game since October and suddenly expecting him to look sharp in a high tempo derby is ridiculous. Anyway,  he wasn’t the reason why we lost today but let it be the main topic as always. 

We weren't great but there were two simple reasons why we lost this games.
Mistakes by Mendy and being frequently overrun in midfield.

Mendy mistakes have looked more likely recently, but still on balance he has had a great season so far.
Ordinarily I'd say rotation with Kepa for Zenit, but there might be an argument to show confidence in Mendy.
Not sure about the intentions behind the goal, but WHU aren't the first team to target Mendy off his line, and Antonio tried it from a kick off too.

As for being overrun in midfield, it is pretty clear that we win this easily with Kovacic or Kante alongside Jorginho.

33 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

West Ham are doing yellow card fouls one after another, blatantly stopping play without any attempt to get the ball.

Indeed.  How the card count ended up 1-3 and not 5-2 I don't know.  The booking for Christensen at the end was criminal as it was so clear that Antonio ran across the front of him to get a foul while Christensen was trying to avoid contact.  In the end the 3 very late bookings after 90 mins don't matter at all.  It was the early booking for Jorginho that affected our game, and the absence or earlier bookings for WHU that aided them.  Coufal in particular could have 2 earlier bookings before his actual one.

26 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Don't understand the hate on Lukaku, whoever we have as a striker doesn't matter, we don't cross, we don't play through-balls, we don't play into his feet. We don't know how to supply a striker.

The irony is that we played perfect build up and set up for Lukaku in H1 and then were much more suited for Havertz in H2.  Not sure what Moyes did for that, but perhaps there was something.

24 minutes ago, bONes said:

Agreed. Christensen with amazing dribble, but then changes flank and  then pasa backwards. Crazy

There were quite a few of those moves, where having broken through to get 3 vs 3 we kept the ball and dropped back to 9vs9.

Generally it was hard to tell if WHU were playing full low block football or with a high press.  I guess that means that they were mixing it up a lot and going quite full on at times.
We weren't ready to take advantage.  When they were undermanned we were still playing as if it were against Norwich and they had 9 men back.  We didn't take risks when they were exposed.

4 minutes ago, didierforever said:

😂😂

Dude probably started to believe his own hype. Absolute BS!!! Him and Rlc as a combo are a train wreck. Look at the 2nd goal. The distance between the defence and the mid is immense. Ng would have easily sussed it out at the edge of the box. Both jorgi and Rlc were in their own little worlds.

NGolo a massive miss for us.

GURJ SS   
8 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

We had clear cut chances to get 2-0 or 3-1 today. Ziyech made a bad decision which could have made it 2-0 IIRC. As soon as we hand West Ham that penalty the games gone. 

With our chances we are massively relying on the opposition making mistakes, try and name as many players as possible where when they pick the ball up if puts you on the edge of your seat. Then try and name the ones for Man City, Liverpool and dare I say even Man U.

I can name CHO and Pulisic. When they're on the ball you know they can go past 1 player and maybe even more if there's enough room, and most importantly do it in dangerous positions.

Name a player where when they pick the ball up you expect our players to make a run because he'll find them. I can't name one, Ziyech is the closest we have but he is nowhere near consistent enough to be dangerous.

GURJ SS   
Just now, Droy was my hero said:

The irony is that we played perfect build up and set up for Lukaku in H1 and then were much more suited for Havertz in H2.  Not sure what Moyes did for that, but perhaps there was something.

We do this far too often to say it's Moyes, we can't find a way through by putting balls into the box because we have no natural striker, on comes a striker and the ball stops going into the box.

bONes   
2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We weren't great but there were two simple reasons why we lost this games.
Mistakes by Mendy and being frequently overrun in midfield.

Mendy mistakes have looked more likely recently, but still on balance he has had a great season so far.
Ordinarily I'd say rotation with Kepa for Zenit, but there might be an argument to show confidence in Mendy.
Not sure about the intentions behind the goal, but WHU aren't the first team to target Mendy off his line, and Antonio tried it from a kick off too.

As for being overrun in midfield, it is pretty clear that we win this easily with Kovacic or Kante alongside Jorginho.

Indeed.  How the card count ended up 1-3 and not 5-2 I don't know.  The booking for Christensen at the end was criminal as it was so clear that Antonio ran across the front of him to get a foul while Christensen was trying to avoid contact.  In the end the 3 very late bookings after 90 mins don't matter at all.  It was the early booking for Jorginho that affected our game, and the absence or earlier bookings for WHU that aided them.  Coufal in particular could have 2 earlier bookings before his actual one.

There were quite a few of those moves, where having broken through to get 3 vs 3 we kept the ball and dropped back to 9vs9.

Generally it was hard to tell if WHU were playing full low block football or with a high press.  I guess that means that they were mixing it up a lot and going quite full on at times.
We weren't ready to take advantage.  When they were undermanned we were still playing as if it were against Norwich and they had 9 men back.  We didn't take risks when they were exposed.

very well summed up post.