My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

3 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

With our chances we are massively relying on the opposition making mistakes, try and name as many players as possible where when they pick the ball up if puts you on the edge of your seat. Then try and name the ones for Man City, Liverpool and dare I say even Man U.

I can name CHO and Pulisic. When they're on the ball you know they can go past 1 player and maybe even more if there's enough room, and most importantly do it in dangerous positions.

Name a player where when they pick the ball up you expect our players to make a run because he'll find them. I can't name one, Ziyech is the closest we have but he is nowhere near consistent enough to be dangerous.

I see what you are saying. I wouldn't say City even have that. Only Liverpool. 

Blue Rod   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

We weren't great but there were two simple reasons why we lost this games.
Mistakes by Mendy and being frequently overrun in midfield.

Mendy mistakes have looked more likely recently, but still on balance he has had a great season so far.
Ordinarily I'd say rotation with Kepa for Zenit, but there might be an argument to show confidence in Mendy.
Not sure about the intentions behind the goal, but WHU aren't the first team to target Mendy off his line, and Antonio tried it from a kick off too.

As for being overrun in midfield, it is pretty clear that we win this easily with Kovacic or Kante alongside Jorginho.

Indeed.  How the card count ended up 1-3 and not 5-2 I don't know.  The booking for Christensen at the end was criminal as it was so clear that Antonio ran across the front of him to get a foul while Christensen was trying to avoid contact.  In the end the 3 very late bookings after 90 mins don't matter at all.  It was the early booking for Jorginho that affected our game, and the absence or earlier bookings for WHU that aided them.  Coufal in particular could have 2 earlier bookings before his actual one.

The irony is that we played perfect build up and set up for Lukaku in H1 and then were much more suited for Havertz in H2.  Not sure what Moyes did for that, but perhaps there was something.

There were quite a few of those moves, where having broken through to get 3 vs 3 we kept the ball and dropped back to 9vs9.

Generally it was hard to tell if WHU were playing full low block football or with a high press.  I guess that means that they were mixing it up a lot and going quite full on at times.
We weren't ready to take advantage.  When they were undermanned we were still playing as if it were against Norwich and they had 9 men back.  We didn't take risks when they were exposed.

Poor Mendy. Obviously not the one that saved our backside numerous times this season. To hell with the idea that you can't always control the game, and if you are presented with an open game, you must make sure you outscore the other team. 

GURJ SS   
4 minutes ago, chelboy said:

The amount of posts talking about a player that hasnt started a PL game since October and suddenly expecting him to look sharp in a high tempo derby is ridiculous. Anyway,  he wasn’t the reason why we lost today but let it be the main topic as always. 

Yep, scapegoat so we don't have to admit that the rest of the team has been riding their luck the past few games.

Mana   
5 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

NGolo a massive miss for us.

He is and this is so important now: You cannot rely on Kante anymore. He is injured more frequently, getting close to Pulisic levels. Our frontline and our midfield needs serious surgery if we ever want to win the title.

Two of the best back to back performances quickly followed by a horrible run of 3 games in 6 days when we looked a different team. I had a feeling after the injuries against Juve that we would struggle. 

The injuries buggered up the defence and midfield but really it's poor attacking play that is costing us games. If we could sort that out we'd be fine.

Losing both Kova and Kanté has been a disaster, as there is no-one else to fill in for them 

16 minutes ago, chelboy said:

True but compared to recent derbies we have had that was very tough. They matched us in running and physical work. Compared to Arsenal and Spurs that was far more difficult. I don’t think we created loads tbh. 

Yes.  Teams are learning that their best chance is to outmuscle us.  Man U with Fred, Matic, McTominay.  Watford were brutal.  WHU got lucky with a ref who couldn't find his cards till 90 mins.

2 minutes ago, chelboy said:

The amount of posts talking about a player that hasnt started a PL game since October and suddenly expecting him to look sharp in a high tempo derby is ridiculous. Anyway,  he wasn’t the reason why we lost today but let it be the main topic as always. 

Par for the course on here.   The amount of humble pie left uneaten on the plate here following criticism of Jorginho, Ziyech, Rudiger, Alonso and so on over the past year. You'd think people would be more careful.

Forgot to say, CHO recently has looked like a contributor to this team finally.  But he looked very uncomfortable defending at LWB.  I winder if this is poor body positioning which means he can't see the man outside him, maybe that can be coached away.

4 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Lukaku was part of the reason why we lost but no way was it all down to him. As for not looking sharp. Well, this was his third apperance since returning and imo he looks no better or worse than he usually has for us or previously for Utd. 

chelboy   
1 minute ago, GURJ SS said:

We do this far too often to say it's Moyes, we can't find a way through by putting balls into the box because we have no natural striker, on comes a striker and the ball stops going into the box.

We did it with Giroud too. When he wasn’t on we spam more crosses. When he comes on we start playing it safe and pass backwards. Frustrating. It’s like we don’t know the strengths of our players. 

GURJ SS   
2 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I see what you are saying. I wouldn't say City even have that. Only Liverpool. 

De Bruyne can lash one in from outside the box with either foot and also find pretty much any pass possible in football today, Grealish, Sterling, Foden and Silva need to be doubled up on otherwise they go past their marker. City break teams down because the opposition run out of players having doubled up on so many players.

We can't even get 2 players on the pitch who can either of those things, make a killer pass or take players on. Earlier on in the season I had a few mates saying we were dangerous because our goals were coming from all over the pitch, my reply was always the same: during a season there's only so many goals defenders and midfielders score, the rest have to be scored by the front line.

• Sad 1