My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

6 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Poor Mendy. Obviously not the one that saved our backside numerous times this season. 

He's too dodgy with his feet to be trying risky passes when under any kind of pressure. TT needs to tell him to just hoof the ball when under pressure.

12 minutes ago, bONes said:

very well summed up post.

Seriously? The dude is holding Mendy accountable but has absolved jorginho, who was mind numbingly awful. The guy could actually see Bowen, it was not even a blind pass and yet chose to play the ball and sell Mendy shot. Mendy did panic and could have done better, but the problem was jorginho, not Mendy. Even throughout the game, the 3rd best player in the world showed why he is a defensive liability. 

Moreover like I said pre- game, alonso should never have started for defensive solidarity. 

39 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Defending today has cost us. Simple as. Mendy many mistakes. Bowen and Antonio have run our three CB’s ragged in the 2nd half. Completely made them look soft. I just pray it’s a one off but looking at our recent winter periods I am not sure. 

I can't agree with that. I didn't see anyone get run ragged. CHO was beaten a couple of times and Rees James failed to follow Bowen back for his near miss; Thiago Silva made a couple of mistakes in the first half, but was utterly imperious thereafter. Rudiger was his usual combative self and Christensen was fine. 

GURJ SS   
2 minutes ago, chelboy said:

We did it with Giroud too. When he wasn’t on we spam more crosses. When he comes on we start playing it safe and pass backwards. Frustrating. It’s like we don’t know the strengths of our players. 

Yep 100%, was the single most frustrating thing to watch.

There's still that understanding between our players, remember back when Cesc and Costa basically won us a league because once Cesc picked the ball up Costa was off on a run.

The overplaying from our centrebacks makes me miss Zouma, and James overplays far too much for a wingback - a wingback should be running on to a ball coming out wide to him but more often than not he's receiving the ball to stop the ball and then pass it backwards or sideways. If your wingback is receiving a ball and looking to stop it then something about the move has broken down, especially when they're closer to their defensive line than their attacking line.

3 hours ago, didierforever said:

Lol. And you want people to respect alonso's mediocrity while talking **** about one of the best strikers in the world.  😂

Andy Cole scored tons of goals but nobody ever called him one of the best in the world. Lukaku is looking every bit the player Utd fans couldn't wait to see the back of.

chelboy   
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Par for the course on here.   The amount of humble pie left uneaten on the plate here following criticism of Jorginho, Ziyech, Rudiger, Alonso and so on over the past year. You'd think people would be more careful.

Some of those players weren’t great under Sarri or Frank either. I think Tuchel is a level above our recent managers and has hidden some of the weaknesses of those players. Every player you mentioned there does have weaknesses to their game that we do hide well imo. 

Criticism is fine but it’s when nonsense statements such as “we can’t play football with Lukaku” etc are said then it just becomes complete bs. Our performances early in the season with Lukaku showed that we can play with him. I don’t know where this idea that we can’t play with him has come from. 

Just now, boratsbrother said:

Andy Cole scored tons of goals but nobody ever called him one of the best in the world. Lukaku is looking every bit the player Utd fans couldn't wait to see the back of.

And what is this based on? Did he lose balls, was his first touch not good? Or did he fluff chances? Our mid played 50 passes amongst themselves before giving the ball to Lukaku against properly set defence. We barely played to his strength. Unless you are blaming Lukaku for our Mid's shortcomings (offensively and defensively today)., it's hard to see the point you are trying to make.

GURJ SS   
3 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Seriously? The dude is holding Mendy accountable but has absolved jorginho, who was mind numbingly awful. The guy could actually see Bowen, it was not even a blind pass and yet chose to play the ball and sell Mendy shot. Mendy did panic and could have done better, but the problem was jorginho, not Mendy. Even throughout the game, the 3rd best player in the world showed why he is a defensive liability. 

Moreover like I said pre- game, alonso should never have started for defensive solidarity. 

James played Mendy short with a back pass later on in the game and Mendy put his foot through it, he learnt from his mistake. Jorginho did play Mendy short but this type of thing will happen when expected to play out from the back; however Mendy decided to also play out from the back when he'd already seen a move go wrong. A corner or throw in was fine, the question to ask is, after Mendy shielded the ball what was he expecting to do against 2 West Ham players? I think he overestimated his own ability and forgot his limitations; he wouldn't be playing in goal if he could shield a ball and take on Bowen and Antonio.

Holymoly   
20 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Losing both Kova and Kanté has been a disaster, as there is no-one else to fill in for them 

Well there is but they're both loaned out.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Maybe we need to re adjust our expectations. 

Yes, I think if people genuinely thought we were going to win the league they must surely be disabused of that notion now, not because we aren't good, but because we are clearly not as good as Liverpool and City. There is clear daylight between us.

If our expectations are to improve to a point where we can challenge in the next two years then I think that's reasonable. We look like we have a plan, but we are short of personnel in a couple of areas.

I am not a huge fan of Jorghino in the Premier League because he is just not ambitious or incisive enough. I am equally unimpressed by Lukaku, Pulisic and Ziyech as an attacking force  especially in comparison with the front lines of our rivals.