My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

GURJ SS   

I think Lukaku gets too much stick on here, if he gets supply he scores much like other world class strikers. Take Fernandas out of Man U and Ronaldo's goals will drop off, look at Kane at Spurs where he went from having a team that supplied him to now not being able to put the ball at his feet in the box. If Lukaku started today with Pulisic and CHO either side of him our chances of winning sky rocket, simply because both players can dribble at speed, and play short balls into a striker to give and take. Someone like Havertz playing up top ends up going wide just to get a touch on the ball and then no one moves central to take his place. When Lukaku came on we lost the creativity of Havertz, ideally both were needed in the game.

At the moment we haven't got enough players on the pitch where it's required to double up on them, especially in the wide areas. Only CHO, Pulisic and Lukaku can genuinely scare a player 1v1, first 2 with pace and skill and the latter with his power, pace and finishing.

When was the last time we got a striker scoring on a regular basis? Not since we had Cesc, the key isn't the striker it's the creative spark we're currently missing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Some of those players weren’t great under Sarri or Frank either. I think Tuchel is a level above our recent managers and has hidden some of the weaknesses of those players. Every player you mentioned there does have weaknesses to their game that we do hide well imo. 

Criticism is fine but it’s when nonsense statements such as “we can’t play football with Lukaku” etc are said then it just becomes complete bs. Our performances early in the season with Lukaku showed that we can play with him. I don’t know where this idea that we can’t play with him has come from. 

I thought our early season performances were similar to todays. Patchy and rode our luck with teams not taking their chances, but today our luck ran out and they took their chances. Even against one of the weakest Arsenal teams in many, many years they opened us up a few times only to mess up the final ball and they were also denied a clear penalty. 

Chrisb   

That’s only the third time in TT’s 53 games in charge that we’ve conceded more than one goal. I don’t think anybody can say we can’t defend. In all honesty I think we’ve been overdue a result like this, doesn’t make it feel any better though, especially not against that bunch of caravaning b******s.

5 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:
51 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Yes, I think if people genuinely thought we were going to win the league they must surely be disabused of that notion now, not because we aren't good, but because we are clearly not as good as Liverpool and City. There is clear daylight between us.

If our expectations are to improve to a point where we can challenge in the next two years then I think that's reasonable. We look like we have a plan, but we are short of personnel in a couple of areas.

Yep - could be another little pony team with next season the target for the top spot

let’s hope Lukaku can be coached to be another Costa and a Fabregas type recruitment in the summer.  

11 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

James played Mendy short with a back pass later on in the game and Mendy put his foot through it, he learnt from his mistake. Jorginho did play Mendy short but this type of thing will happen when expected to play out from the back; however Mendy decided to also play out from the back when he'd already seen a move go wrong. A corner or throw in was fine, the question to ask is, after Mendy shielded the ball what was he expecting to do against 2 West Ham players? I think he overestimated his own ability and forgot his limitations; he wouldn't be playing in goal if he could shield a ball and take on Bowen and Antonio.

I think Mendy was waiting for the contact, to get an easy foul. Once he did not get it, he panicked and **** happened. Like I said before, yes, Mendy is at fault, but the larger fault still lies with jorgi and the pass. First of all, look at bowen's starting position when jorgi is playing the pass, the best Mendy could have done is put his foot through it. And then he sold him shot. Absolute disaster specially how good we were uptil then. 

GURJ SS   
1 minute ago, Backbiter said:

We obviously thought Saul was up to it.

He's got the same issue as Pogba had at Man U when played in front of the defence, it's simply not his game. It's like when Lamps tried Havertz as a number 8 and he looked totally lost. It was a poor decision to bring in Saul and ask him to play a holding role, if we player 3 in midfield he would having given us the options or covering a number 8 or number 10 position, he definitely isn't a 6.

Another oddity is that Lukaku and Jorghino appear to have the same apologists. If Lukaku isn't getting goals, or even opportunities then either the midfield passing maestro or the world class striker.....or both must be responsible.

Alonso started the season on fire, then got left out and Chillwell got his chance, he wasn't giving the LB spot away, then he got injured,Alonso came back in knowing he had LB all but tied up, so he seems to be playing within himself.

I would give Dave a go there in the next match, tell James to do what he was doing a few games ago and that's to stop passing sideways and backwards.

Also Cho had a run of games where he looked like he wanted the ball and tried to beat his man and wanted to shoot, today he had a great chance at the end to at least have a shot BUT for some reason passed it back to Ruddiger

9 minutes ago, didierforever said:

And what is this based on? Did he lose balls, was his first touch not good? Or did he fluff chances? Our mid played 50 passes amongst themselves before giving the ball to Lukaku against properly set defence. We barely played to his strength. Unless you are blaming Lukaku for our Mid's shortcomings (offensively and defensively today)., it's hard to see the point you are trying to make.

Lukaku fans point to his number of goals as proof that he's one of the best in the world. Cole scored goals too but that was never enough for him to be ranked highly. They ignore the fact that he looked extremely average in the only other top English club he's played for and is looking like exactly the same player for us. No, he can't be blamed for what midfielders do, but for a "world class" 100 million striker, why can't he ever do something himself to make something happen? Genuine world class strikers make things happen whereas Lukaku has to have everything laid on a plate for him.