My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

????  We have a 5 man attack going forward.  One thing we are not short of is men up front.

Of course we have a 5 man attack. We have 11 players on the pitch just like other teams. Just having 5 men in attack is pretty meaningless if they don't arrive at the right place (never mind stand at the right place) at the right time, and you know that.

I refer you back to the example in my earlier post. 4 players may have arrived after the cross. But watch the match again, if you have a recording. At the moment of the cross, there was absolutely no other Chelsea player near Havertz.

It's not only ManCity,  Liverpool load up their attack with several runners arriving at the same time, and so do Bayern Munich, another high scoring side that does not depend so heavily on their defenders for goals. This is not to say that they are  better teams overall. But on the specific issue of why our attacking game is struggling, this is an important comparison. 

People used to refer to Antonio Conte's.Chelsea team as defensive. But whenever they were on the offensive, there were runners all over the pitch. Again it was about swift transition and overwhelming the opponents numerically before they could get back in shape. Tuchel might find other ways for the team to score goals. But at the moment, we are struggling, and have been struggling. 

Edited by Blue Rod

5 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

But at the moment, we are struggling, and have been struggling. 

We’ve scored 3 goals more than City...

A week ago we put 7 past Juventus and Leicester away without conceding.

Define “struggling”...

13 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

This is worrying:

image.thumb.png.07cff9465fab4fdaf9287fb7ef06d45f.png

Yes, despite being still winning touching distance of them I couldn't help but think of this too.

Let's be honest. If City and Liverpool were served up the Burnley, United and West Ham games we had, they would have won easily. Liverpool's game against West Ham was much tougher than what we had to face. 

Soed90   
3 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Liverpool's game against West Ham was much tougher than what we had to face. 

In what sense?

We desperately need our best players back. We are desperate for Kante & Kovacic so Jorginho can be rotated and rested without chaos in midfield. If by some miracle all three of them could stay fit for the rest of the season now I think we'd have a great chance. Chilwell was also a big blow but I suppose we can't hope for a quick return in that case.

But midfield is our heart and the foundation for everything we do. So we need to get our best midfielders fit and in form. Then we can do anything this season.

Edited by Soed90
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soed90 said:

In what sense?

We desperately need our best players back. We are desperate for Kante & Kovacic so Jorginho can be rotated and rested without chaos in midfield. If by some miracle all three of them could stay fit for the rest of the season now I think we'd have a great chance. Chilwell was also a big blow but I suppose we can't hope for a quick return in that case.

But midfield is our heart and the foundation for everything we do. So we need to get our best midfielders fit and in form. Then we can do anything this season.

I feel like Liverpool were under the cosh and pinned back by West Ham far far more than we were. Liverpool rarely controlled sections of their game as we did. I'm not sure if that's credit to us, or if West Ham were particularly better against them. Liverpool were against it from minute 1, pinned back. We had nothing against us or like that until the penalty give away. It was looking like a repeat of the Leicester game until we handed them that goal. Whereas Liverpool against West Ham were more like we were against Watford. 

The injuries admittedly have escaped my attention. 

Blue Rod   
7 hours ago, McCreadie said:

We’ve scored 3 goals more than City...

A week ago we put 7 past Juventus and Leicester away without conceding.

Define “struggling”...

I'm pleased that we scored lots of goals in the two matches. But DWDWL is not a title winning form. As I said before, the lack of goals from our forward line was going to start affecting our results. It was only a matter of time. I am hoping that we have reached a turning point, and our forwards can now start firing in the goals. Defenders can only score you so many goals.

I appreciate where you are coming from. But sometimes you have to look reality in the face and be objective. I was saying this when we were 3 pts in the lead. The response was;  how dare you?, get a life, ... etc.  We are now 3 points behind the leaders after a weak run of results, and I'm still getting the same response.

Oh well.

Edited by Blue Rod
  • Like 1

Floyd25   
On 05/12/2021 at 4:16 AM, Michael Tucker said:

I can - Barkley is a talentless oaf, and always has been. If he's a better option than RLC, then we're in serious trouble. 

Then we may be in serious trouble