My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

13 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I agree on your summation of Lukaku. I feel he was a panic buy when the Haaland deal failed to materialise. His inclusion in the team requires us to change the way we play. What we were looking for was a Werner/Havertz player that could score goals. I think the powers that be simply hoped that his stats in Italy were indicative that he had finally developed into the sort of player he had never been in the Premier League. It would appear that he hasn't.

Don't worry about Lukaku. Starting Wednesday,  we  play  some really carp teams in the next few weeks, so no doubt he'll score eleventy goals and have his fanboys calling him world class again.

We are lumbered with him now☹️ but it really is time to look at the top two teams and take a leaf out of their books and never again sign any player with such limited technical ability and agility.

30 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Longest match day thread of the season by far. 40 pages and counting, lots of criticism, lots of I told you so's. 

Get it in whilst you can because some of you are going to look ridiculously silly but then again you only come on here for these moments, haven't been any for a while, doubt there will be another any time soon, so make the most of it.

Personally I thought most of the responses were quite measured to be honest , there was very little hysteria , and if there were some "I told you so's" that's the nature of a forum where any deviation of the hive mind is jumped upon from a great height , most people if I understand properly think Tuchel is doing a great job and that we're a good side , when players make daft mistakes it's human nature to be annoyed about it especially if you're emotionally involved like most of us are . What exactly is wrong about complaining when we hand a side three points where they had 37 percent of the ball and couldn't get out of their own 12 yard box for the first half? Personally I thought we played quite well and their victory was more fluke than anything else , however if you notice that the forwards and midfielders at the club don't score as many as they should what exactly is wrong about saying so ? It's not like Lukaku is poring through the paged looking for encouragement .

Ham   
2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

We were doing perfectly fine without Kovacic.  Kante is the big loss in midfield.

Year another poster who criminally underrates Kovacic.  

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Longest match day thread of the season by far. 40 pages and counting, lots of criticism, lots of I told you so's. 

Get it in whilst you can because some of you are going to look ridiculously silly but then again you only come on here for these moments, haven't been any for a while, doubt there will be another any time soon, so make the most of it.

It's a given that the longest match thread is the loss/draw where we should have won. 

I think that some of the criticism of Jorginho and Lukaku (and Alonso to a lesser extent) has been OTT.  I've criticised Jorginho for the two brain farts but that doesn't mean he's been playing badly. Quite the opposite.  His form recently has been brilliant apart from the very obvious mistakes. 

Lukaku is slightly worrying but I'm holding onto him not being 100% fit and the constant changes in personnel around him being the issues.  There haven't been any blatant misses from him. 

As an aside Martin, you've history on here with the "I told you so" posts. More than most actually. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Personally I thought most of the responses were quite measured to be honest , there was very little hysteria , and if there were some "I told you so's" that's the nature of a forum where any deviation of the hive mind is jumped upon from a great height , most people if I understand properly think Tuchel is doing a great job and that we're a good side , when players make daft mistakes it's human nature to be annoyed about it especially if you're emotionally involved like most of us are . What exactly is wrong about complaining when we hand a side three points where they had 37 percent of the ball and couldn't get out of their own 12 yard box for the first half? Personally I thought we played quite well and their victory was more fluke than anything else , however if you notice that the forwards and midfielders at the club don't score as many as they should what exactly is wrong about saying so ? It's not like Lukaku is poring through the paged looking for encouragement .

I totally agree that we actually played very well (as we did against Man U and Burnley).  I'd be more concerned if we were being outplayed. 

Edited by Ham

54 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Yet in the absence of Kante the Kova + Jorginho is our next best pairing for me.

Think even more important when we have Alonso at LWB we have some speed in midfield.

Kova is neither Kante nor Jorginho, but he is a competent alternative for either.
Everyone else so far (bar 15 mins from Chalobah) has been an incompetent alternative.

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

As an aside Martin, you've history on here with the "I told you so" posts. More than most actually. 

Proud history.  he has got a great deal right while being blasted for it.
The difference with this thread is we are now getting "I told you so Jorginho is  useless" posts.  People with no awareness of Jan to Nov 2021.

27 minutes ago, Ham said:

Year another poster who criminally underrates Kovacic.  

While others hugely overrate him.

Our highest quality performances in recent years have been the Juve and Leicester games. Proof that we looked and performed better without Kovacic!  He's an ok squad player but nothing more.

Imo, if we are ever going to win the league again, along with finding a genuine top class striker,  the midfield needs a revamp 

Edited by boratsbrother

39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Proud history.  he has got a great deal right while being blasted for it.
The difference with this thread is we are now getting "I told you so Jorginho is  useless" posts.  People with no awareness of Jan to Nov 2021.

He normally agrees with you so , er yeah , lol.

We had one or two anti Jorginho posts ,  most and it is a massive majority,  see what he brings to the side , some of us can see when he's off the boil , just a tad . One of us can't. 

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

While others hugely overrate him.

Our highest quality performances in recent years have been the Juve and Leicester games. Proof that we looked and performed better without Kovacic!  He's an ok squad player but nothing more.

Imo, if we are ever going to win the league again, along with finding a genuine top class striker,  the midfield needs a revamp 

I disagree, Rudigger, Kante and Kovacic are the only three players who will make a burst up the pitch with the ball,Azpi, jorginho and Christenson like to roll the ball to anyone else around them, while silva loves to pick a  pass forward from the back

ROTG   
3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Over the years most people including you, have had egg on their face on this forum, even though some will say otherwise.

I am just slightly confused, what in particular has got your back up with the I told you so's?

Personally the result did not come to much of a surprise, and where the club is in the table is probably about right and is more than likely where the club will be at the end of the season. The points total at the end of the season vs last season will be the best indicator of how much the squad have improved IMO.

ROTG   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Kova is neither Kante nor Jorginho, but he is a competent alternative for either.

None of them are a Fabregas, which the squad is missing

16 minutes ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

None of them are a Fabregas, which the squad is missing

Playing 3 CBs effectively takes away the spot from a Fabregas-type creator. If we played his type alongside Jorginho we'd be totally overrun in midfield. 

Don't get me wrong, I was a massive Fabregas fan. He is one of the most talented creators the club has ever had. But his legs had gone and he just could not perform the midfield duties required these days (bit like Fernandes at ManU). The only way he could fit in is if we switched to 442 or 443 and I can't see TT doing that.

Obviously a creator with legs and an engine would be the solution. A 22 year old KdB would suit us. Ruben is a vague possibility but I think he needs a Kanté rather than a Jorginho alongside him.