My Blood Is Blue

West Ham 3 Chelsea 2

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Imo, if we are ever going to win the league again, along with finding a genuine top class striker,  the midfield needs a revamp

Couldn't agree more. Revamping our midfield should be an even bigger priority than the search for another striker. The tweak to the team that got us to the CL trophy in Porto was the absolute best that TT could have done given the time he took over. But let's not forget that some of our previous managers have tweaked a team that was even more moribund and got somewhere great or nearly great only to get a kick in the teeth the next season for failing to make the major changes. 

As a defensive unit, our midfield worked pretty well when the three have been fit - Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic. As a creative unit, it has been pretty poor for the past three seasons. With Kante and Kovacic off, it has now also lost its defensive credibility. So we have a midfield that is both poor at defending and at creating, with the defence picking up the responsibility for both. 

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Playing 3 CBs effectively takes away the spot from a Fabregas-type creator. If we played his type alongside Jorginho we'd be totally overrun in midfield. 

Don't get me wrong, I was a massive Fabregas fan. He is one of the most talented creators the club has ever had. But his legs had gone and he just could not perform the midfield duties required these days (bit like Fernandes at ManU). The only way he could fit in is if we switched to 442 or 443 and I can't see TT doing that.

Obviously a creator with legs and an engine would be the solution. A 22 year old KdB would suit us. Ruben is a vague possibility but I think he needs a Kanté rather than a Jorginho alongside him.

Yes and no. I don't think anyone would want a Fabregas in his final playing years, (any more than we would want to re-sign Didier Drogba right now) But there is something about having a midfielder, whatever you may call him, who makes other forwards get into a position of advantage the moment they touch the ball because they know what could come. Neither Jorginho nor Kante or Kovavic does that. (Kovacic is our third choice by overall quality, but he is actually our most offensive/direct of the three) There seems to be an expectation that the ball is going sideways or even backwards first. This is emblematic of our current midfield.  If an attacking midfielder cannot carry the ball forward as quickly as it is needed, then he must let his passing do that work. The latter is what a Fabregas in his prime gives you. Our current midfielders are struggling with both, I'm afraid.   

Edited by Blue Rod

On 05/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, SabCFC said:

They were structural. You cannot be serious, we also conceded 5 in one game against WBA, it doesn't erase all the incredible defensive records we're breaking left and right in 2021. Don't compare a few games with some mistakes, to a record of 54 goals conceded in 38 games, the worst defensive record Chelsea has had since ... the early 90s! This is an outlier, that was a clear pattern.

We have scored the second most goals in the league. City has LESS. Why are people acting as if we're 10 points off them and barely scoring while conceding a ton? Best defense, second best attack.

Because we patently aren't as good as them.

23 hours ago, SabCFC said:

The revisionism is hilarious. City couldn't get more than a shot on target against Southampton and lost to Palace. Liverpool lost to the same West Ham, they scored a 90+4 winner at Wolves.

We have scored more goals than City while conceding the same number of goals.

We must be doing something right, I reckon.

They look more fluid? Yes, I'd guess so given their managers have been working on the same ideas since 2017. It's only been 10 months for Tuchel, he's catching up pretty damn quick.

Different issues. The point is that we aren't as good as them......yet.

23 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

????  We have a 5 man attack going forward.  One thing we are not short of is men up front.

Remember on this site you are the revisionist.  Or at least taking the minority view in things that have been argued over for a while.
To remind people that 19/20 was a year of high goals conceded is revisionism for many - they were in denial and they don't take it lightly to be told so.

Some people have been wrong on TT and the team for a long long time, and a long list of injuries (and especially Jorginho playing with an injury) is precisely the circumstances they can claim to have been right all along.  They get few chances.

You continue to project your own deviousness onto others. At the same time you are erecting a straw man in suggesting widespread criticism of TT, who has in fact been almost unanimously lauded, even by those who believe, as I do, that it was morally wrong to sack Lampard last season. You may believe that such moral considerations have no place (and in that you are certainly in a massive majority), but to project any kind of vengeful bitterness towards TT or the team is risible and says more about you than anyone else.

The fact is that there has been palpable improvement on the pitch (and apparently off it) since TT arrived and I haven't heard anyone denying or lamenting this, despite your attempts to suggest you have.

4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Imo, if we are ever going to win the league again, along with finding a genuine top class striker,  the midfield needs a revamp 

Sounds exactly like this was December 2020.

17 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

You continue to project your own deviousness onto others. At the same time you are erecting a straw man in suggesting widespread criticism of TT, who has in fact been almost unanimously lauded, even by those who believe, as I do, that it was morally wrong to sack Lampard last season. You may believe that such moral considerations have no place (and in that you are certainly in a massive majority), but to project any kind of vengeful bitterness towards TT or the team is risible and says more about you than anyone else.

The fact is that there has been palpable improvement on the pitch (and apparently off it) since TT arrived and I haven't heard anyone denying or lamenting this, despite your attempts to suggest you have.

Welcome back - been missing for a few months haven't you.

20 posts in a calendar month - all since half time this weekend.

As they should now sing:  where were you when we weren't sh1t?

Klopp has been at Liverpool  for 6 years.

Guardiola has been at City for 5 years.

Tuchel has been at Chelsea for 10 months.

• Like 3

Bison   
5 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Klopp has been at Liverpool  for 6 years.

Guardiola has been at City for 5 years.

Tuchel has been at Chelsea for 10 months.

True. Both Klopp and Guardiola have the exact profile of player they want, players suited precisely to how they want to play. Does Tuchel have that? No chance. I don't believe he is entirely happy with the make up of the squad. Whether Tuchel will be allowed to have the same level of influence Klopp and Pep have is the question. 

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sounds exactly like this was December 2020.

Welcome back - been missing for a few months haven't you.

20 posts in a calendar month - all since half time this weekend.

As they should now sing:  where were you when we weren't sh1t?

If you read my posts you would know that I don't think we are ****, just not Premier League winners this season. 

As far as post count is concerned I have been unwell for the past 6 weeks, but I do not, in any case, as demonstrated in my disdain for you, measure the worth of a forum contributor by the volume of his contributions. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

If you read my posts you would know that I don't think we are ****, just not Premier League winners this season. 

Agreed!

It's not being harsh to say we are a good team and sometimes a very good team, but we are up against two teams who are consistently very good or even better. That's just the reality of it at the mo.

No shame at all in being third best to those two at this moment in time, or having probably the third best manager in the world too.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

True. Both Klopp and Guardiola have the exact profile of player they want, players suited precisely to how they want to play. Does Tuchel have that? No chance. I don't believe he is entirely happy with the make up of the squad. Whether Tuchel will be allowed to have the same level of influence Klopp and Pep have is the question. 

Being allowed the time is as important as the influence. How many seasons will TT get and would he survive a dodgy few months??